Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today and past few days have been OK to great in Sligo. Granted there's been rainfall every day but now it's tough to get 24 dry hours in the West. I'd say the whole Winter we might have had 10 dry days and that might be since November. I hope its El Nino driven or I'm emigrating. Ya can't live in this when it's flooded constantly and dark too. That's why today is so nice. Blue skies and warm sun between the inevitable rain bands.

Anyways 100mm forecast between now and February 29th so time to batten down the hatches and hide. You will see snow falling at the end of the week landing in flooded puddles. That's what Polar Maritime brings to these shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

I am liking the look of the charts towards the end of the first week and into the second week of March. If these verify I am presuming it will be frosty by night and nice sunshine by day? We can't get snow then it is the type of weather I really like this time of year and of course it will help massively with drying out the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

After the very mild February it wouldn't surprise me if this is the direction of travel during March

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

meteorological winter ends so it’s bye bye Azores (see you next December) and northern blocking arrives right on cue ..

even at +240 I think it’s odds on that it will end up like this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I agree. It’s probably odds on we’ll get some sort of an easterly in March. If we could even get a repeat of the “son of the beast” around St Patrick’s Day 2018 I’d take it. As long it’s snow falling and not cold rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I’d normally say no too however I have yet to see a single snow flake fall this winter so I’d take a bit of snow in March.

Snow in April? A definite no no though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oh it's true, it's damn true , Eibhir. We waited all winter for a proper blocking high and sure enough we will likely get one in March .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

don’t forget the very cold March 2013 and followed by some very severe frosts in early April too.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Two ice days at the start of March 2018, and of all places to record them, Cork!

And another on the 18th of March (a notable late in the year contender):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah March 2018 is the only time March has recorded ice day conditions in digitised records in Ireland back to 1942. There is no other examples at Irish stations in that time and probably even going further back. The combination of cloud cover, an extremely cold airmass (among the coldest ever recorded over Ireland) and such a strong easterly flow with lying snow is what allowed these unprecedented ice day conditions for the time of year.

Limerick also had an ice day on 18th March 2018 (just barely with -0.1C). Crazy late.

11th March 2013 had a very cold airmass but the easterly flow wasn't as strong and it was bright at times so the very cold 850s weren't as realised on the surface. Still though, Mount Russell in Limerick had a max of just 0.8C that day which is exceptional for the time of year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After a few less cold days looks like could be returning to more of what we got this week gone by with wintry showers coming in off the Atlantic and LP's about feeding in rain bands, no big winds showing up at present but could be breezy to windy at times along the coasts. Models currently showing LP running into cold air producing wintry falls including snow towards the end of the week coming. On the cold side start to Spring it would seem at present.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Winter is over and good riddance.

The Spring 120+ hour thread is now open for business.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058338265/fi-charts-t120-onwards-spring-2024-read-mod-note-in-first#latest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement