Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Decent potential for a snow event for some later next week but beyond that the ensembles would want to start reflecting the repeated trend of the op and control runs pretty soon. A slight shift to colder in the 06z GEFS. This shift must continue for there to be any real potential of a colder second half of Feb. A real depth of cold in the suite with some sub minus 10 850 members would also need to start showing up. What is different to the mid Jan cold spell is that the NAO and AO both supporting conditions for colder weather it must be said.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That would be worth waiting for. Are we finally going to get rewarded with something like this or will it go pear shaped 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Uk already in a snow warning Thursday into Friday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For Ireland it's mainly going to be rain, maybe something wintry on the hills and anything that falls will be washed away very quickly.

Awww hopefully mid month we'll get something ,although we are running out of weeks of winter and we've past peack

• Advertisement

Weather advisory from donegal Weather page, probably an amateur page but still

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Sorry its weather alerts Ireland, my bad ,I'm half asleep today

Clare (410ft asl)

Strong support by day 10-11 in the GEFS ensembles for a Greenland high. As usual, heights nudging north from Iberia and the Azores are ever present. With the clock ticking on winter, it may be another week or so before models begin to grapple with what is going with the PV.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Why is so hard to get a Scandi High?

Will those heights over Iberia ever do one. No more dry northerlies please. Us snowbies need our snow fix.

• Advertisement

They have been the persistent spoiler this winter. We could have had two decent cold spells this winter but for them

Another promising day 10 chart.

I wonder what will go wrong this time. Will it be our old friend again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

According to this morning's ECM, the answer to your your question is "Yes, yes it will be". A very depressing suite of models this morning if its white gold you want. If you don't live in the NW of this country then, if you can afford it, a ski trip is your only reliable option.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Ohh what have we got here on the 6z

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've thrown in the towel already yes very unlikely away from Donegal etc will see snow between now and end of February. A better chance in March or April perhaps but I've no interest in March or April snow unless it happens in the opening days of March. My thoughts have already switched to Spring/Summer 2024.

This has been a particularly bleak and depressing winter for me not just due to how pear shaped the winter became but my dad is dying in hospital at the moment with advanced dementia and he probably won't last another day or two so I haven't been posting much recently and probably won't until March. A few snow flakes would have lifted my spirits somewhat but we couldn't even get a snowflake. But the reality is what happens in weather is really very important compared to proper real life issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Off topic sorry guys 🙈 @Gonzo I am so sorry to hear that about your Dad, I will be thinking of you in the coming days ……. Snow is just so beautiful when it is falling and makes everything so peaceful 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya cold with no snow snow good. We need heat n mild now. Feck off 0c n rain which is what we got in Sligo yesterday even though Castlebar got 2c and snow. Does anyone know the answer to why that was? We were further North, colder but Donegal and Mayo got snow but only South Sligo. All around Sligo town Nada but temperature was colder. 0 to 1c . I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭squonk

Very sorry to hear about your dad Gonzo. I recently lost my uncle and felt that quite a bit but nothing like what you’re going through. Best wishes and you’ll be in my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I don't know you personally but I do think you're 100% sound. I'm sure I speak for many here when I say reading this is heartbreaking and naturally everyone's thoughts here are with you all at this very sad time. I hope you draw great strength and comfort from knowing that. 🙏

Post edited by PukkaStukka on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Probably due to precipitation intensity. The heavier stuff was more likely to be snow even at a slightly higher temperature.

• Advertisement

I am sorry for your troubles Gonzo. I can relate somewhat to what you say about snow. When my dad had cancer we both got joy from a snowfall before the end. It might sound silly but we both loved snow and thunderstorms. You have my deepest sympathies. I hope the good memories with your father can help you in some way through this most difficult of times.

Clare (410ft asl)

Wishing you all the strength in the world @Gonzo

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

We may be beginning to see the first signs of the GFS and UKMO responding to a potential SSW late next week.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thanks for your answer Neddy. I think you might be right but it was pretty heavy here too. I am mystified. Like you chase snow and conditions are perfect for snow and it snows in county's near you and then...it rains. Like wev had over 15mm of rain yesterday. That was heavy.

Sorry about your Dad @Gonzo we are all thinking about you at this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sorry to hear about your Dad Gonzo thoughts and prayers for him and your family

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bazlers

From what could have been to what we ended up with this to me is the most disappointing winter ive experienced.

To Gonzo my sincerest sympathies. My own mother has vascular dementia. Certainly not easy on families.

The weather and this forum can be an escape and yet there is no escaping it ; )

Life is for living.

That's the biggest disappointment we had a winter with a largely weak polar vortex but still we missed out. If we had a raging pv over Greenland from early December at least we wouldn't have got our hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

@Gonzo , sorry to hear about your father. It's a very tough time.

Been there with both of my parents so I can understand how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Truly sorry to hear about your father Gonzo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement