Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Butterbeans

I think what bucketybuck and lots of others are saying is that no one should be entitled to a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well you said "Call it privilege, but if they want my money then they should give me the product". Are you not inferring you are too good to enter the lottery or what did you mean by this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Lottery's open, good luck all

https://eventmaster.ie/event/edKPIrKF8x

Its hardly a golden circle in fairness, I do believe if half of the people that are saying things should change were offered a place today they wouldnt even register. This went to general sale last year and everyone that entered the lottery was offered a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Entered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Trampas

Valencia allow you to cancel your entry with a % returned depending on when and there’s a cancellation list they work off. So I guess depends who takes up the spots. It’s €180 if on the cancellation list. So I guess depends how many cancelled and who took the spots to show through numbers on number pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Butterbeans

Where are you getting this? An above poster said that themselves and friends (didn't specify how many) didn't get a place after entering the lottery and looking for subsequent transfers. You're assuming that failed lottery entrants are offered places when they become available, which, anecdotely, doesn't appear to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

You keep missing my point, that the guaranteed entry is compounding the 25%+ no show rate. I'm not talking about people who want to run it not getting a place.

I am talking about people who are vaguely interested but have a guaranteed place and don't show up. I think it would be a much better attended marathon, with more foreign participants, were it not for this guaranteed entry practice.

I don't believe anyone should be entitled to a spot, past participant or not.

I just think its impossible to please everyone, why didnt they just log into the general sale and get one. If there was no guaranteed entry and it went to general sale for everyone, why do people think it would reduce no-shows. You would just have people who run it every year unable to get an entry and still the same amount of no-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Privilege is being able to decide for myself what I like or dislike, what I accept or don't accept.

It absolutely does not mean entitlement.

I'll pay, you give me the product, thats how I prefer things. Forced scarcity and other convoluted processes do not interest me at all.

I don't join waiting lists in restaurants either, if they don't want to take my money then I go somewhere else that does. I'm not entitled to a seat in their restaurant, I just don't want to faff about playing games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm unsure if you're being intentionally vexatious. Because multiple people have given multiple reasons on this here thread, why guaranteed entry may compound no shows.

What do you do at Disneyland, just go on the teacups all day. But seriously just log in next June and buy it on general sale.

Log on during some as yet unannounced window next summer when I might be able to buy an entry at late entry prices.

Or just buy an entry elsewhere right now.

When it comes to planning training for a marathon I know which I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yes lots are missing out. This has been stated here several times.

There's a real complacent ' sure what can you do ' don't complain attitude from some posters.

My point is if it went to general sale for everyone next month, I feel we would have the very same amount of no-shows next year.

That's fair enough, but could i ask why you would think this. People have given examples of other marathons with general sales and they have similar if not worse levels of no-shows. Why would dublin be any different.

I have run both Amsterdam and Paris in 2023. Both are open entry and thus easy to sign up and plan for.

Amsterdam had 20,000 places with 16,000 finishers or 20% no show

Paris had 55,000 entrants with 50,000 finishers or ~10% no show

Dublin with guaranteed entry is roughly 30% no show

Valencia with guaranteed entry is roughly 30% no show

10% - 20% is a normal no show rate for a marathon, 30% is not and is a symptom of something wrong in the organisation of the marathon. Guaranteed entry is the cause, for all the reasons previously outlined.

Where are you getting these numbers from, Valencia and Dublin are just over 25%. It is crazy though that 1 in 4 or 5 that register dont start, never thought it to be that high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

So a quick look at the Amsterdam Marathon website answers many questions for me :

Copied below.

Can I cancel my registration?

If you cannot or do not want to participate, you can transfer your registration to someone else. You can see how this works in the question about 'transferring'.

Can I transfer my registration to 2025?

No, it is not possible to change the registration to 2025, but you can transfer your registration to someone else.

How can I assign my registration to someone else?

Go to 'Open dashboard' in your confirmation e-mail. Open your registration and ticket and click 'Details' and 'Transfer ticket'.

Share the unique registration link to allow someone else to claim your ticket. Or choose 'enter the personal details yourself' to fill in all the new runner's details yourself and click 'Save'.

If you assign a ticket after the change deadline, 4 September 2024, we can no longer change the name on the start number.

Changes are not possible between September 4 and October 3.

End of copy.

--------------------------------------------

So you can transfer your registration to somebody else up to 4 weeks before the event, which is what many of us have been saying. Whether guaranteed entry or not, the problem - fundamentally - is that you can't transfer your entry after June/July.

It sounds so so so simple above. A simple log in, update a name, hit Save.

Trust the Dutch to have a system where people don't have to throw away €110 and think nothing of it.....

16,000 ÷ 22,500 x 100/1 =71% of entrants finished dcm 29% did not.

What is your take on that fact that Dublin has a greater rate of no shows than other marathons.

But its not crazy when you factor in that most entries are pressured into buying entry immediately after the previous years race, and includes many who had already no-showed once.

Buying under time pressure a year out is perfect scenario for increased no-shows. Hope nobody takes this as criticism, but if I were instructed to increase the number of no-shows at a race, that is exactly how I would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

16503 finished according to the results. Wonder how many started but DNF, maybe 500?

Fair enough, best case scenario 25% no show, still doesn't explain the discrepancy. Buckets take on it is the reason, believe it or not. I do understand the reluctance of people who are in the guaranteed entry system to see any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

The big unknown is whether many people actually lose out and literally can't run in the DCM. I get that somebody above said they couldn't get an entry, but was it really a sell out after the refund window still?

Again, this is where extending the refund window just frees up more entries for people who do want to do it. I just don't see why this isn't the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The refund window didn't sell out immediately in June or July. I think it took about a day or two which shows there is probably way less demand at that time when the FOMO goes away.

For what it's worth I know of 3 people who didn't make the start line after getting sick/injured on the week of, and 1 DNF. These things happen, and even if you have a transfer window up to mid October, it'll still happen.

But the simple answer is just keep transfer window open as long as possible. Surely at 30 quid a pop is worth they're while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Just entered the lottery having ran it in 2015 & 2019

What do you reckon the odds are?

Like how many apply for the lottery & for how many places?

I don't think it's possible to know the number of lottery places as the number of people who have already gotten their guaranteed place is not known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭event

Very tough to tell, but I would say you'll get one in the transfer window next year

Advertisement