Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't think it needed to be said yet again to be honest.

I believe they organise and budget the event based not on the number of tickets sold, but on the numbers predicted to actually show up. All big events do it, and base it on historical patterns.

And while there are fixed costs, many costs will be linked to the number of entrants. And not even the obvious things like number of bags, medals, water bottles, etc, but things like police and volunteer support. 5000 extra people is not some insignificant number, even in a marathon.

So if they are selling 22000 tickets now but are planning for 17000 actually showing up, a transfer system that skews that planning would be a disaster. Having to use bin bags at the expo would be the least of the problems.

Thats simply my opinion on whats happening, but if anybody can show an invoice that demonstrates DCM purchased 22000 medals this year I will happily stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Don't agree. More no shows than is statistically normal for a marathon (15-20%) is not something any race organiser would want.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

I am sure they did not buy or plan for 22k of anything but in that case, would they not be better of capping the entries at their expected number (say 17-18k) and implementing a proper transfer system where bib names can change right up to the Expo?

Of course no even will ever have 100% attendance - I have seen empty seats at All-Ireland Finals where tickets could not be bought for love nor money - but surely in the interest of efficiently assigning and procuring resources, etc then its better to have an accurate number of attendees rather than finger in the air stuff and having people moaning they ran out of bags at the Expo for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭brick tamland

If you cap it to 17-18k you'll only have about 13k on the day. Every race I run would have a good level on no shows on the day, be it a 5k up to a marathon. It happens.

Sort out the transfer system and it'll help but to you will still get a good few thousand that won't show on day. People get sick/injured/family emergency, it's just the way it is.

Surely at e30 a transfer it'll be in there interest to have a better functioning transfer system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

So the only way you'll change your mind is if someone does something you know wont happen. Thats pretty convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

Then they couldn't say they are the 4th biggest Marathon in Europe.... Happy to go along with the notion 22500 are running it when in reality they are happy for it to be only 16k with almost 6k no shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Myself and a few friends all failed to get entry in the lottery and the subsequent refund window fyi

To be honest it was such a sham of a system, knowing at least two people who weren’t going to race it and couldn’t transfer their entry to me, that I’m not arsed this year. I know DCM won’t miss my business and it’ll sell out anyway but doesn’t mean it’s the right way to do it.

You would definitely get an entry, though it might not be in your name

You seem to be taking all this very personally, I didn't realise that my own opinion was so important.

"Convenient" implies that I was trying to achieve something more than just answer the question you were repeatedly asking.

It would be against the terms and conditions to run under somebody elses name, it should not be encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Should we not be blaming the 6k who did not show up and what ever percentage of them didn't transfer their number, rather than the organisers themselves. A friend of mine got injured a good while back but didn't transfer because he wanted to run next year. If they changed it so last years runners are not guaranteed entry next year, then this thread would be 4 times as long. Now saying that the transfer fee of 30 euro is excessive and they do deserve criticism over that.

I just don't believe people should spread rumours around online about a group of volunteers. As has been said before, if you want to know the reason, sign up to volunteer next year. Im sure you'll get your invoice then

Yeah agree 100% and would never do it myself.

I dunno, there seems be (not from yourself, just in general) some sort of witch hunt over people who didnt turn up. Its not the end of the world. Its a marathon, there are loads more to do in Ireland if people are desperate to do one. Maybe the people who didnt turn up couldnt transfer their number to someone else back in July. There didnt seem to be loads of people back then looking for entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

I believe fundamentally, the biggest issue is guaranteed entry. Many people are signing up because they are being offer a place, post marathon while still on the adrenaline buzz as apposed to seeking out a spot in the marathon.

Anecdotely the people I know who didn't take part, signed up only because they were offered the place and didn't want to miss out.

Does any other marathon in the world offer guaranteed entry to past participants? I firmly believe Dublin marathon will continue to have a disproportionate amount of no shows, regardless of transfer windows, while this is the case.

I'm not sure it is a blame game as opposed to just stating how things are, but either way I wouldn't focus too much on the entrants themselves. People pay their money and make their choices, and if that means not making the start line then that is their prerogative.

I've never been in the position, but if I had an entry and knew I wasn't racing, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to transfer it either. Partly because I'd retain a sliver of hope that I could still make it, but mainly because the money isn't important enough to me to warrant the hassle. I paid my money, so its my ticket to waste really.

There are going to be no-shows either way, even a good transfer system wouldn't have put 5k extra runners on the course last week.

I definitely think guaranteed entry is badly done though. I have done Dublin 5 times but didn't bother this year and don't plan to try for next year simply because of all the hoops they want me to jump through for the privilege. I like the race, but this stuff just pushed me to try new alternatives instead. Probably should thank them for that.

I agree with you, I dont blame the people for securing their place for next year, I know i am contradicting myself there from my last post but i would do the same. I really do think anyone that enters the lottery will get offered a place, last year there was a few days where it went to general sale so that just shows that lottery didnt sell out.

Are that many people missing out though, I think anyone entering the lottery will be offered a place at some stage. It went to general sale last year.

But surely all they have to do is extend the existing refund window? Its not as if the tech, etc isn't there - its already being used. Having an arbitrary 4 week window in which you can get a refund, which is sort of before the training gets in to the really long distances and people pick up injuries, etc, is farcical.

Even if they extended it to 2-3 weeks before the marathon there must be thousands of no-shows who know at that stage their marathon is over. Give them the option of the refund then minus the admin fee (who knows what Eventmaster charges them for this....) and let somebody else get the bib. I just don't understand it.

If organisers don't want people running on other peoples bibs, then this is the only option to cut it out by letting people drop out and somebody else run in their place. There is no way the event will ever have 22k people wanting to run it in any given year but surely those who want to run it should be facilitated where they can?

You are probably on to something there, its great PR to be in that bracket. But people quickly see through a farcical claim.

To follow this line:  mainly because the money isn't important enough to me to warrant the hassle

I think because we all sign up now, we dont see it as "real money" if that makes sense? So to agree, people dont mind losing out, we paid for it last year sure

I dont think asking to enter a lottery is exactly asking you to jump though hoops though is it, it would take you 2 minutes.

My point was more that the guaranteed entry is the cause of the excessive no shows. Imho, many people are only signing up because they are being offered that place.

I think at a minimum they should only be offering guaranteed entry to those who took part in the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Butterbeans

It shouldn't be encouraged, but if you take away every other option, it will keep happening

I grew up poor enough so I don't waste money easily, but I consider things like this to be a treat to myself really. And if I buy a treat I don't beat myself up about the cost later on or try to get it back, its just spent money.

And yes, I'm lucky to be able to do that, and I wouldn't necessarily walk over the refund amount if it was laying in the street. I'm just not driven to search out refund options for a treat I may have bought myself 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Butterbeans

I asked the same question a few pages back regarding other races that offer guaranteed places to previous years participants. Valencia marathon does something similar so I checked out their capacity v finishers for last year (2022).

30,000 capacity / 21,250 finishers (approx). A 28% no show, very similar to Dublin this year. Now that's only one year, and very basic research, so not evidence of anything, there could be lots of factors that tie into it.

Call it privilege, but if they want my money then they should give me the product, I have no interest in any messing around at all.

A non refundable fee just so that I can join the queue and hope for an entry? Nah. There are plenty of races I can enter immediately, I'll give my money to them instead.

I could justify it more if it was truly an open lottery, done that way because the number of interested people genuinely was far more than capacity.

But this artificial system where they give no-shows priority using pressure selling techniques, and create a lottery that quite likely isn't needed at all, it just puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭winstonia

Manchester had 28k signups but only 18k finishers this year. Pretty common

If people don't have a problem with no-shows when others want to run but don't get to (as the poster above experienced) fair enough then.

Once the same people don't complain then about the Expo running out of bags or not enough medals or not enough water or whatever because of the same arbitrary estimation system. Because unless you want thousands of everything wasted, these are the choices the organisers have to make with their estimates.

Valencia had a non refundable lottery this season as well, its pretty common. I think the non-refundable is to stop people just entering for the sake of it. Why do you think you should just be entitled to a spot, its the biggest marathon in the country.

Not once have I said that I am entitled to a spot.

It's understandable that you wouldn't want things to change because you're in the golden circle and it suits you. That doesn't however preclude there being better ways to do things.

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with the individual who no-shows.

I just dislike a system that creates no-shows by pressure selling to people who no-showed the previous years race.

Advertisement