Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options
  • 31-10-2023 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

The 2023 edition is only just over and I am still struggling to go up and down stairs.

That being said I am in for 2024, I want redeem myself for when the wheels came off this year at kilometer 33.

Hopefully it will be drier too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I too am in and am looking for redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I was the same last year,looking for "redemption"

This year bedsides training better and having a plan (these were very important) was to ignore the spectators, kids with jellies and power up signs.

I didn't wave at cameras or give high 5's, I didn't even run with people I know.

Just put the head down, treated it like a serious event and took 30 minutes off last years time.

Might not work for everyone but it did for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

The one from this thread.

Also when I said "plan" I actually meant for the day, holding back until Walkinstown, knowing the route, gels, nutrition etc.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058271128/boards-dcm22-graduates-thread-a-deeper-understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Wow, am delighted to read this. 30 min pb is absolutely stunning.

Grads plans are fantastic, as you've proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Was out of 2023 with injury

Going in for surgery this week and then hoping to start training for 2024 as soon as I'm healed up

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Fazy is in the queue, but he's got 7k no shows from the weekend in the queue ahead of me....

It’s a bit of a farce really. As I’ve seen mentioned in other posts, if you don’t start the previous one then you shouldn’t have priority for the next. I know people can’t start for various reasons but 7,000 no shows is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

You should start a petition and send it into them. That would really be the most positive thing that could come out of the '23 thread and its mainly devoted to this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Back in, hoping to redeem myself after this years fiasco! At least I started and finished this one......

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

If I'm posting on boards I'm not working! But I am in employment, not as a professional athlete.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gonna enter the lottery when it opens. This will be my first marathon. I was planning to do the 2024 marathon for a while now and oddly despite all the horror stories I have heard from friends who did this years one, I am actually still looking forward to it. Probably even more so now. Maybe I hate myself. Who knows. Even if I don't get an entry in the lottery I'll still run and train for it and hope I pick one up when the refunds or transfers happen.

I have emailed them about it but mainly asking them to consider posting numbers out to participants next year, I’d happily do without the junk in the bag if it meant I didn’t have to travel to the RDS to collect it. I know they would have to send out the clear bag as well for the bag drop but it wouldn’t be that hard to do.

I know they have sponsors to think about for the expo and all that so if they won’t post numbers, then maybe even consider moving the expo to some space in an industrial estate or something that is easy accessible with plenty of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

The RDS number pickup is annoying for anyone travelling. If they want to use the RDS then start/finish the race there.

Number pickup could happen on the morning of the race. The expo could keep going too until after the race.

Make an inside area available for dropping off bags to avoid clothes getting wet.

Have a changing area for after the race and not have runners changing on the footpath. A marathon I ran previously had a finish point, like the RDS, that had rented portable showers - a warm shower after the race is welcome for everyone runners that wants/needs one

I thought you were complaining about the number of unused places and to do away with the repeated custom to runners who raced before.

At least you have emailed them about your concern.

I dont think they can do away with the expo with number pick-up, it seems to be a staple for all biggish marathons and having a hall with a changing area afterwards would never happed. They want to disperse the crowd in town as soon as possible and send you on your way.

The only thing I think they could change if enough people complained to them would probably be the set up of the entry system and who is entitled to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

You'll 100% get a spot. Was loads going this year

There's a tick box saying you agree to pick up your number on sign up. So it's not going to change

You want enough hot water for approx 18k runners to have a shower?

That is an absolute crazy ask tbh. There are plenty of places you can get a shower after if you look around.

Not everyone will take a shower and there aren’t even 18k runners taking part. I only mentioned as I have seen it done in a similar sized marathon ran out of a building like the RDS.

what about the other ideas, I think they would be better than current state of play. RDS is a good asset if properly used for the entire event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You are all trying to fix an event that is not broken. Sells out every year, so the organisers have very little motivation to change things. We all get what we sign up for.

It's a great race, and every race I've done, from Cork to Chicago, has had a few irritating elements (and the expo is a universal chore for big events).

Little will change, although I'd expect the transfer system WILL be improved next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I signed up again, loved the event. What an event, it was incredible. I am willing to put a lot more into running after the likes of that. It may not be something veteran runners appreciate, but first time out it has a huge impact seeing that kind of thing. I am not a runner by any stretch but I can see myself running a lot of Dublin marathons just down to how good it is. It's good breh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Of course we appreciate it. We have all gone on the same journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Yes definitely, just meant it's such a major step up for the first timer. The likes of that has a major impact, from running around in a park to having crowds around you at all times is kind of mind boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Damn you FOMO

What marathon was it?

I don't think the bags need covering. It's the first time it's rained in 10 years and you can easily solve it yourself.

I ran Frankfurt. It had 13k finishers, I had thought it was a bit more but still a good sized event. Frankfurt has a huge convention centre (similar to RDS) but it’s at the start/finish and this makes it easier to have a setup that suits runners before and after the race.

Dublin is a good event but travelling to Dublin and across the city to collect a number on the day before is a pain for a Culchie like me. I don’t have someone to collect for me so that’s not an option. I would pay to get my number posted out prior to the day but I can’t see it happening (I agree with Murph_D that there is no incentive for organisers to make changes).

I shouldn’t be comparing Dublin to Frankfurt as they are very different races. Dublin is better for support on the course but the facilities and organisation means Frankfurt is ahead for me in looking after runners before and after the race.

I didn’t want to derail the thread I was just thinking it would be great to have the better parts of Frankfurt added to Dublin. but if the race is currently selling out nobody will make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sliabh Martin

Has anyone got an early access code for next year that they aren't going to use? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

Early access codes expired last night. Anyone who wants to run Dublin next year should have no issues in getting a number and running under their own name

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

OK whatever about the valid complaints on the other thread about transfers and race numbers being posted out, to expect a hot shower after the race is just ridiculous.

On the covered bag issue, a bit like Mrs Doyle and the sandwich here's a little bag you can put your dry clothes in, and here's a bigger bag you can put the little bag in to. I solve this problem myself every day it rains on my cycle to work.

The issue of picking up race number for somebody else goes away if you can transfer right up to the event. It's not All-Ireland tickets here, there is no black market where you can make a profit. Charge €10-20 for a name change up to and including the day of the Expo, eureka. Let anyone pick up the numbers after that. Issue goes away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭custom_build

Was the lottery going live today? There is only entry info for 2023 on their website.

Advertisement