Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Was about to ask the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I had intended to run this years marathon but unfortunately life got in the way and I was unable to get the training done so had to call quits on it after the transfer window closed.

I was surprised to receive early access code as a DNS, but have signed up hoping for redemption next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Saw this on the website but looks like that's still referring to 2023 but might be the same again today regarding time of opening

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Butterbeans

This was a reply from DCM on Instagram an hour ago. It'll open at some stage today, no panic anyway, it's open until 19th November and it's not first come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

After flying in in 2022 and running it, always said I'd be back. I skipped 2023 but will enter the 2024 lottery.

Hopefully I'll get in.

• Advertisement

They just posted on Instagram that they're extending the priority entries to midnight tonight and pushing the lottery to tomorrow now - I don't mean to speculate but wondering were there issues with anyone getting an email or was priority uptake lower than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Priority entry extended

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭custom_build

One would have imagined that the entrants who are serious about running the event next year, have already signed up in the two days passed. Surely extending the priority entry is only encouraging the people who are on the fence, or signing up for fomo. Will this not just exacerbate the problem of 25% + no shows at the marathon? Just my two cents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm in for next year again. The crowds on their own make it worthwhile although there was less of a buzz at the start line this year. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They want as many no-shows as possible. Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

They won't want the publicity that 1/3 of the field didn't show up and that an unknown number of people were running on bibs that were not in their own name though!

I'm guessing here, but it's probably more likely that not all emails went to the relevant people in time rather than a low take-up of places. DCM will sell out for next year regardless.

If they are hoping for a similar number of no-show each year (not sure if that's likely to be the case), that's a dangerous game, and will damage the reputation of the race, as those outside the golden circle will look elsewhere or move on to something else. It's not that long ago that DCM wasn't an annual sell out gig.

As mentioned many times, extending the transfer window and reducing the cost of it (is that where the €30 charge comes in?), will solve a lot of issues. I don't like the gauranteed re-entry system but it is what it is for now.

Maybe I'm not thinking of something but surely a no-show will make no difference to their running costs? They've likely already provisioned the medals, bags etc in advance so that would already have been paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭custom_build

"and will damage the reputation of the race, as those outside the golden circle will look elsewhere or move on to something else."

I think this is already the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Some of the emails didn't arrive until late on the Tuesday. I got mine early at 1130 or so but I know people where it was after six. Could easily have been ones that arrived later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Every event takes a calculated risk on a percentage not showing up, probably the biggest events such as the majors to a lesser extent given the status and the cost of entry alone, you'd have to think DCM are basing their plans around 80% showing up at the expo.

Nobody can argue with the reasoning behind that side of things due to past numbers to finishers ratios and the obvious waste you can be left looking at the days after a race with some 6000 finisher t-shirts/medals/goodie bags staring you in the face.

Your point then comes into consideration as given orders need to be raised nearly a year in advance are they going with say ordering supplies for 80% of total entrants and clearing existing debt with the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

But if you are banking on no-shows then questions have to be asked about the obvious waste created by unused medals, to shirts, water etc.

Surely they'd be better off having a transfer system where they can change hands right up to the day before the Expo say? I just don't see why that would be an issue.

From a user perspective, say there's a cancellation list and I'm in position X. 'm registered for a cancellation, knowing full well that I might not get a place. As places come available due to drop outs, these people are offered a place in order on the queue. I can check where I am on the cancellation list and plan accordingly as I get closer to the top of the queue. And I can remove myself whenever I want. Charge €20 for the transfer and give €90 back to the drop out once their bib is taken up - to encourage people to drop out sooner if they won't be running it. If you leave it to the last minute, you might not get any refund because the bib might not be taken up.

Entries get used and the organisers can plan for a largely full field. I just don't see the problem here. At the moment, its a waste of everybody's time, money and resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The point about a transfer system has been discussed for a few years now, and the fact is that looked at logically, it makes no sense for DCM to handle things the current way. A transfer system could be easily implemented, would generate extra revenue and would make a lot of people happy.

So why not do it?

Is there a more logical explanation other than they want to sell 22000 tickets but not actually have 22000 people show up?

That's twice you've made that point without elaborating as to why they don't want people to turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

Are there many people who wanted to run who didn't get a place after the refund window though?

I'd strongly doubt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

By that point though many had to commit elsewhere.I ran abroad instead as I didn't get an entry to DCM

I'd be willing to bet after the refund window everybody who wanted an entry got one. Obviously I don't know though. It'd be so handy if more of those 7k which were wasted could have been re-assigned though.

Transfer system badly needs an overhaul.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They don't purchase 22,000 medals, bags etc - they bank on x% of no shows. I would guess even their insurance, licence etc takes no shows into account.

Even so, its still a stupid game to end up with too little or too many guessing the number of no-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Are the transferees going to have to pay an admin fee again for 2024 transfers? it was €30 for 2023.

Should it not be the transferer getting hit with an admin fee as they are the ones pulling out? I don't buy into why the transferee ended up having to fork out an extra €30 last year on top of the registration. possibly another reason for the high number of people opting to run under another name instead.

Advertisement