Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭peter4918

I spoke to 2 people already this week who have signed up for 2024 and said they have no intention of running it next year but probably will in 2025 so what do you do with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I also spoke with 3 people who have no intention of doing it for the next 12 years but probably will in 2037.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

What are they doing in 2036? They are keeping their cards close to their chest?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭peter4918

What’s your point, other than trying to be smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

A bit more information on this year's event and an acceptance that there is something wrong.

https://archive.ph/mKbBJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

At least they admit there is a problem and there is a commitment to do something about it.

It reads as if the extension of the transfer window is a given. I'd also say a refund should be given where a race number is offered back and somebody takes it up.

But at least the race director admits there is a problem. Give them a chance now to see what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

They take your money in November, so that's 11 months to the Marathon.

Maybe a lot of people are over the loss of money by May or August and just quit.

Yep, longer transfer window and don't have guaranteed entry open the week after the marathon, would be a huge help.

Its possibly more obvious from the outside. They say thay take a lot of direction from feedback of the people who have taken part. Presumably many of them will be saying, "we're in, this system is great, change nothing". Or is that too cynical...

It might be that the need the cash for next years race to pay this years bills? Who knows what the financial situation is like post-covid.

Unlike a number of marathons, to be fair to them I think there is 1 office admin staff member. Its not as if they are all in well paid jobs as a result of this event.

Good that they have admitted the problem anyway. See what happens from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They make money in November, from people who are being pressurised to decide to take the spot right now or miss out completely, including from people who already didn't make a start line.

The scenario is the exact opposite of a person having a good think about it at their own pace and deciding they want to sign up for a race for their own reasons, goals and desires.

It would be easy enough for them to analyse, how many of the no-shows came from that pool of guaranteed entries who were pushed to buy immediately after last years race? They will have that data if they look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone who believes Jim Aughney is on some sort of money grab, or won't affect change because 'sure it sells out anyway' has no idea of the man's character.

It's all about the runners for him, directing DCM is a vocation.

The transfer window this year was in response to feedback. He'll tweak things again for next year.

Man volunteers at my local parkrun every single week. Was chatting to him this morning there as he was gathering up all the signage, something he does every week.

A truly great and honourable man.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

I don't know the man, but every clip I have seen of him he seems like full of passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Is anyone suggesting he's not an honourable man?

Maybe the reins should be handed over.

Why does it have to be run in the way it's being run? A big event like like this probably should not have to depend on the good will and vocation of someone like Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s daft. You could have got injured and there’s no way to transfer your entry. They need to work on that. Or sell 28000 and hope for 3000 no shows

Lots of comments itt and the other one about money grabbing, and they couldn't be further from the truth. There's not a soul involved making a buck at DCM.

The event has grown into a behemoth thanks to Jim's stewardship, it's a massive success every year. Hand the reins over??

Guaranteeing entry to regs once it became so big was in response to feedback from runners, introducing the transfer window was in response to feedback. What more do you want from an event other than one that listens and adapts to customer's feedback, when there's no real business incentive to. That's Jim Aughney.

He'll take feedback on board once again and will adapt to it once again.

But the feedback is skewed when it is coming from people with guaranteed entry, they don't want that to change. Maybe Jim needs an advisor who isn't so friendly with all the regulars.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Entry fees alone are €3M , additionally they have sponsors. If they need more staff the money is there

Have you ever emailed the office and not got a reply? They don't need more staff and some things are best left in the arms of volunteers with the motivation to put on the right event. I'd imagine the bills are fairly hefty for the whole event in fairness by the time you pay for everything from bottles of water to Gardai overtime to hiring the RDS.

Maybe guaranteed if you've ran three of the last five or something would be a compromise. Then a wider transfer window.

It was quite easy to get a spot in 2023 when all was said and done.

Sure, you might pick up a place in June or July. When you've already missed the chance to pick up a place in another autumn marathon.

But that doesn't address the 27% no show rate. A number I derived from the above Irish Times article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭event

100%. I've met and spoken to Jim a few times, he's a great man.

Every year this crap happens after DCM where people piss and moan over very small things in the grand scheme of it. And the constant comments about making money.

It's very easy to hurl from the ditch

So there should be no constructivism criticism whatsoever, nothing to see here, "Jim a great chap I've met him personally "

Constructive criticism is just that, constructive, and welcome.

You've offered constructive critique.

The comments around money get my back up, and that's what I was referring to in defense of Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭event

Ah tbf, your trying to stiflle conversation with your "same crap every year, people piss and moan, hurlers on the ditch etc"

Do you have anything positive to contribute about the 27% no show rate. Or is it you just don't want it talked about.

Also this "That's exactly what I said, yes" adds nothing the the debate. It's obvious that is what I thought you meant. Did you mean something different or is replying constructively, too onerous for you.

Post edited by custom_build on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

And there you have it, the classic Irish, Bertie Ahern response- stop complaining, you don't know how good you have it.

FFS people can complain if they want, not being able to get an entry and 6,000 no shows STILL getting a priority entry isn't a minor thing.

They're slow to make changes and if it's that much of a burden then maybe someone else should do it? Do they have ownership of the event?

I've met Jim too and he is a nice man. That's irrelevant though.

Post edited by yosser hughes on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

“To be honest, I am at a loss to explain it,” Aughney said

LOL. Maybe don't threaten people with a life ban? From 25 Oct:

Dublin Marathon runners are being warned not to trade race numbers if they cannot take part in this weekend’s event...Anyone caught selling or swapping could be banned from future Dublin Marathon and Race Series events.

If it hadn't been for that article I would have offered my entry for free to another runner (I was injured).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well that may be true for some people, but most runners want the race to be as good as it can be and don't want to see entries going to waste. I personally don't think guaranteed entry is necessary with the expanded numbers since it was introduced. That's part of the feedback I'll be giving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭winstonia

I haven't got a London entry after 10 years of trying. Berlin after 6. I just get on with it and run somewhere else.

• Advertisement

London and Berlin don't have a guaranteed entry system, so everyone is equal in their chances of running. Dublin has already given places to 11,125 runners, before any lottery.

By the way, I agree with you. Dublin should be run like those others.

Advertisement