Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭winstonia

Yeah I'd agree with that. Should be gfa system if it's that popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Both of which are Majors and far more prestigious than Dublin to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭event

There is very little constructive in this thread tbf. I know as much about the no show rate as you. Nothing.

Or the classic Irish moan about everything and do nothing. It's said every year.

JOIN THE COMMITTEE

Do you think they are reading boards and going "two lads are moaning about the transfers, we'll definitely change that so". Irish people love to criticise and loan about things they have no idea about.

I've never said people can't complain, do it for the next year if you want. But moaning on a message board of pointless.

Go back and read some of the comments on this and the other thread, it's the usual crap. People asking for invoices, people saying they don't want extra people to do it, people saying they need to pay the bills, people saying they should hire more workers, people saying they need more money etc etc.

This is exactly how rumours start, someone reads it online therefore it's true.

It annoys me is all, and I'll call it out if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Trampas

Some people might not have a person to transfer to or know someone who’s selling a number to get their number. I think most agree that a few tweaks here and there could improve the whole thing.

With the talk of more less driving roads in the city centre it’ll make it even more awkward picking up their number next year if needing to cross the city

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Best take that down, apparently the lads are sound so criticism is not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

No, you're incorrect. I'm not sure if you're being disingenuous, a contrarian or you haven't actually read the thread.

There have been numerous constructive ideas on here, I'll mention some for you.

Scrap guaranteed entry.

Scrap guaranteed entry for no shows

Move the guaranteed entry sign up further away from the finish date

Increase the time frame for transfers

Make transfers a seemless year round online process

Make it a lottery for everyone or for none

Give guaranteed entry to those who have completed a certain number of marathons.

Have an option to post race numbers for a fee

As for the don't complain, join the committee argument, it's a failed stance. Can we not complain about the government if we're not a td, can we not complain about the church if we're not a priest. Many people on here are past participants and will receive a questionnaire about their thoughts going forward, and maybe a few will suggest a few of the ideas that have been brought up here. So I don't think it's a waste of time discussing it here.

All you are doing is shouting down people who have ideas contrary to yours.

Also maybe you could mention a few of the points raised to Jim, next time your chatting to him.

Post edited by custom_build on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I didn't mention any of it to him this morn btw, he has enough people in his ear about stuff like that. I didn't bother him for an entry for my wife last year either when she missed out on the lottery.

They'll review the feedback questionnaires and tweak.

Actually spoke to him about Scullion, very interesting convo.

I'll send the wambulance around to see if you're ok

100% I will. I'll tell him he's been doing git wrong for years and the lads on boards have it all fixed. Do all these points Jim and there won't be a single dropout or complaint next year

OK, I'll leave it there with you, if you can't converse like an adult. I presume you're over 18 if you have ran the marathon, but you are not contributing anything positive on this thread.

Ps what is a wambulance?

Post edited by custom_build on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Markey1

https://archive.ph/2nv47

To be fair it is a lot of disruption to public transport, and a lot of folk previously saying how it would be nice to change it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

the NTA seem awfully concerned about a little disruption on a bank holiday weekend, I wonder what their opinion is the Dart always been closed for works Northside that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Would love to see them change the route but where is a realistic option that is in some way accessible for hotels/Luas/rail southside and Heuston?

Likely they are hinting at the park, aside from that it's something like UCD campus as you have dart and Luas to shuttle to/from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The Park would be the obvious option I suppose. Run buses from up the avenue like the half. But it kills the sneaky after marathon pint in town though 😞

I'd hate to finish in the park tbh. I don't think we'd get the crowds we do currently.

Bit of a disaster if they have to massively change it

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

A change would be nice, not sure how feasible it is. I'd be happy not having to run the Crumlin road section ever again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Imagine the long straight in the park as the finish. Talk about suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Trampas

Other major city marathons have no problem shutting down the city for their marathon. The cities embrace it as the amount of money it brings in but of course here we’ve people moaning about a little inconvenience. People want a change of route as a lot of it is poor and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Owen Keegan left his post a few weeks ago so will have to see what the new chief executive’s and DCC position is when appointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭winstonia

I'd love if they could get a route towards howth. Love running down the coast road, through St Anne's park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

This! Imagine how awful a finish in the Phoenix Park would be. The finish in Dublin - while good, is still not a patch on the finish around Trinity and on to Nassau Street and being met with a WALL of noise was back in the day. It was a far superior finish to the modern one because the street is tighter, Mount Street is so wide it is massively lacking atmosphere compared to it.

But only in this country would we want to move the marathon - on a Bank Holiday weekend when the city is quieter than normal - to some place than involves shuttle buses or wherever.

A route change could be nice, but not to a place which is utterly devoid of atmosphere and doesn't go through some of the our great Dublin communities.

We should be embracing the marathon and the money it brings to the city in October when the tourist season is over. In fact, I thought there needs to be more about it over the weekend it is on, and Bord Failte should be helping the DCM organisers out in this regard.

"The NTA is very concerned about a potential bridge strike due to the inexperience of new drivers being recruited who would be unfamiliar with the diversional routes" - well here's an idea for the NTA, why don't you plan the diverted route for the driver and not send them down a street where they can hit a bridge? You have 359 days to plan the route for Onslow driving his bus.

Post edited by left_hander on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Getting to city on marathon day is a nightmare unless you drive in .. every year dart and main line rail have engineering works that weekend and never extra LUAS in fact it runs at reduced capacity. I have had multiple runners from overseas comment on lack of public transportation that weekend. If your aren’t staying in city centre good luck getting to start line.

A park and ride would be ideal some where along M50. I think a finish line out side city centre Would be disappointing considering the routes and finishes of other city’s .. part of the appeal of Dublin is running through the city and the support the crowd gives. The marathon should be embraced and encouraged by DCC not looking instead to curtail it and push it out of city ..

I think if they encouraged more overseas participation it would be a major boost for the local economy. In that case dcc might be more inclined to encourage the city centre location of it. I believe there were only 500 overseas participants this year, or roughly 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Wow only 500 , what reason would that be? Cost of Dublin as destination or the issue of actually getting a place .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭brick tamland

It'd be no more expensive than any major capital at a guess and cheaper than London and a few more.

I'd imagine it's just not seen as a big marathon just yet, but they have been trying to boost the profile in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

It is an absolute contradiction by DCC to be complaining about the impact the marathon has on traffic while also having engineering works every year over this very weekend.

Maybe plan major engineering works for the Feb bank holiday instead of a weekend where you have 22k people plus supporters in the city.

Agree with the above, the marathon needs to be embraced and welcomed, not something to be thrown out to run around an industrial estate or whatever just because a few buses need to be diverted.

Why not put the medical centre in the square itself though if its proving such a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Except it is, compare a hotel in Dublin on October bank holiday versus the weekend of the London marathon. Dublin is a complete rip off really and if you booked a hotel somewhere far out and find the DART or trains aren't running, then what?

Dublin would be dead enough over the Oct bank holiday if it weren't for the marathon. We need to embrace the event and let it take over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Hi folks, is there a training schedule for 2024 marathon for specifically

Mid 40s

Overweight (about 2stone) but active

Willing to start ASAP and realise the first couple of months may well be getting the weight down first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

As someone who flew in, the cost of hotels actually suprised me, in a negative way. Ended up staying in an airbnb and save some money.

As for transport, I chose to stay somewhere close to the Luas line. No issues getting to the start. Some extra trams would be nice because they were cramped.

Advertisement