Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can get cash back for your voucher and spend it where you like.

Carlsberg also comes in glass bottles so no deposit required.

The bin companies are separate from the DRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

Post #2968 is not a great example of that even if it is a rare occurrence which I doubt. Whether it improves remains to be seen after the deadline and staff get to grips with it. 25 minutes to get 15c is not time well spent.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭jj880

Careful now. Round these parts you could get called out of touch with reality for that kind of logical reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

I'm boycotting their greedy scheme by not buying any more bottles of water and using a filter instead for water. It's not practical for me. I don't have a car and live in a village where the Centra shop sells the poxy R bottles and won't take them back which is unreasonable and unacceptable in my view. That should not be allowed. That screws the customer and is bs and I don't give a flying fook what anyone says or what excuses people make it is bull and the scheme won't work if they keep doing that. People should be protesting over this crap so they should. It's ludicrous beyond belief.

Sorry I'm on a mobile so no post numbers.

Can you quote the post if you get a chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,194 ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121898594/#Comment_121898594

Dunnes being Dunnes, but ten times worse - insisting on a cash refund at customer services only (they are the only supermarket that consistently even has customer services these days) and then taking an age to find someone to do it.

Not sure there's a legislative way to stop a **** company from being ****. If there was, their mistreatment of staff and suppliers, abuse of planning rules etc etc would probably be much higher up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

@L1011 explained it above. It's not just Dunnes who have an iffy way of handling the scheme though as was shown here in previous posts with a lot of the independent franchise supermarkets who are renowned for being useless at most levels having their own interpretation of how it works. I suppose we will see when it's fully implemented how the chips fall.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yes I see now thanks.

What a rigamarole.

They definitely need to sort out the protocols so that the system is as near as possible the same everywhere.

There was another instance the other day where someone got the voucher for 15c and then couldn't get the cash due to the line to Musgrave's HQ being down.

These issues are a particular problem for people on the move who may not be back at the individual store for a long time if ever.

If you are a regular customer you can always wait till next week but not if passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,194 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Musgraves HQ thing seems to be the legit reason (its not an excuse - they could still cash out and retain the voucher for later processing) as that's what my local shop that had the issue with the self checkouts not taking them told me was wrong afterwards. They cashed the voucher out without any problems - it was actually their suggestion rather than keep fighting the till. It took my next one no bother.

Owner of that shop is happy with it other than the Musgrave issues, says he's now emptying the machine ~3 times a week and that its full on about 700 items normally, obviously that varies depending on what goes in, Fruit Shoot bottles vs 3L Country Spring (if that still exists); Red Bull vs full size beer cans are going to be very different in space even when compacted/shredded. This is one of the tiny machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Who cares about someone getting sacked. This horseshite shouldn't even exist. We have recycle bins for guess what recycling. Not being charged on the double for exact same thing

• Advertisement

• I dunno

the min wage worker prob does? Why don’t you direct your frustration to someone involved or who could have an impact instead of some poor person who has nothing to do with it either way.

I didnt introduce the system which would get said worker involved in such a situation so. No. It ain't my problem. This should be scrapped. It's a gimmick

The main point for me on this issue is that once the can goes in and you get a receipt it must be easily redeemed.

People on the move can't hang about waiting for a till to get back on line.

Imagine being on the Wild Atlantic Way, mum, dad, couple of kids. They buy sandwiches and drinks and sit at the picnic table in front of the shop.

Finish lunch put waste in bin and cans in RVM.

Into shop and till down.

Just not acceptable to expect them to lose the deposits because they may never be back there.

A bit of give and take is needed.

As you said earlier there are a lot of small niggling problems that need to be sorted to avoid the scheme falling into disrepute.

Interesting to hear the feedback from the shopkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i had assumed for the longest time that once a barcode from a deposit voucher was scanned it would no longer be valid, now come to think of it when they say the expiry date is forever/never ending... they're not wrong LOL!

and to be fair i think that toilet roll post a person made was a nice satire troll post or else a really bad broken shape recognition in the machine. i've yet to see it actually work in person, saw 2 kids trying it and fail. Although with that being said i know a person did it with an empty tin of dog food and it worked so who knows.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭vafankillar

affordable housing seems to be common in a lot of europe too eh? such typical irish exceptionalism having so much homeless people

if thats true then i imagine it would have to be an inside job, as the paper is a unique kind of bible paper (for lack of better way of calling it) and the type of ink they use could be special/unique to the RVM. i could be talking bollox, but the receipt paper already has a pre-printed thing on the back of it which different from the ink printed on the front.

So far i've seen some red word beginning with F at the back of the deposit vouchers, or else an RVM watermark but more solid and faint rather than transparent.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭vafankillar

have to say working retail dealing with & informing customers about this scheme on a daily basis am finding no fan-boys of it outside of the internet.

also kinda feel like an asshole cos of how often i'm serving kids now who added up their sweets/drink in their head & then realizing they dont have enough cos they haven't gotten used to this nonsense lol

i would kind of disagree with this, if anyone remembers the "del-boy" posts, people were clearly trying to scam the system even before it went live day 1. Some even do take advantage of it even to this day. But yeah you do have a point, as the deposit itself and the lack of support for people who cant leave homes, rely on home deliveries, and who already recycle in green bin like a good recycle. Has clearly caused alot of outrage and provoked people to either not take part in the scheme, or boycott it entirely, or look for alternative ways to game it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can anyone explain why the machines are constantly out of order?

Went to one Lidl - both out of order, next day tried a different Lidl and both out of order again - next day working again but this makes the whole idea of taking a bunch of cans to recycle a whole lot of hassle (assume no one is going in with one or two cans). I really do not want to be caught with a bag of cans on the way to work and like what the feck am I supposed to do now?

Or is this the equivalent of the McDonalds milkshake machine scam?

• Advertisement

yes i can explain. some places do not have staff on-hand with the knowledge of how to fix an RVM machine when it jams or malfunctions, so they have to call someone out to fix it which takes about 1-3 days or even a week depending on how busy or lazy the fixer is. i went to 3 different LIDL's in the same day like almost a week ago and 2 out of 3 Lidl's had their machines not working. From what i could see inside of them were a traffic jam of bottles that is too far in for any customer to unclog.

i've been seeing alot of error's happen on the RVM's that have a long narrow conveyor belt type of slot, the ones that use metal coils and what looks like a bike chain in their mechanism (the ones that go very far in where you cant reach inside of). The reason for this i believe is that the belt goes so fast one would think they could insert one after another, but despite its speed the screen tells you when its ready to take more. and what happens is people ignore this screen and put one after another in, then when the screen says its ready to put more, one is already in at the exist, blocking the path down the back, so when you put one in onfront, it gets scanned but does not go down the chute due to one already being resting on there, now causing a traffic jam of bottles. Seen this exact thing happen a bunch of times. Then the machine displays and out of service thingy or something red on the screen. a red message or red octogon shape, or a red hand

• They didn’t either. Should I yell at you about it then since you’re equally as irrelevant to the shortcomings of the scheme?

Maybe I’ll just start lecturing randoms on the street. No wait that would make me a loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I was kinda the same, this seems to be taking the cans pretty fast so just keep feeding them in, then got stuck and said take it out or something. Used bottle machines in Germany and literally you could just keep throwing bottles in no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woodcutting

Yes if you queue up while people are gossiping and searching for the purse they had 15 minutes to look for but didn't.

I know the bins are separate, the point is there is no law for them.

I will manage fine without cans or plastic bottles. I told coca cola I won't be buying coke again unless they find someway around this nonsense. And. I drank buckets, nay barrels of coke and more, since the 80s

You have to wash and store cans making sure not to crush them then bring them back to a machine that might work. Get a silly slip of paper and then cash that, if you don’t lose it in the meantime. And the Oscar goes to the idiot who designed it so the open end of the can is towards you so a nice dribble of water you washed out it with goes up your sleeve.

I won't be doing that nonsense anyway. And I won't be paying deposits

"Can anyone explain why the machines are constantly out of order?"

Ask yourself " what country am I in"

No, i'm saying it does work when its used how its meant to be used (most times) and not used impatiently and rushed by shoving one after another when the machine clearly states its not ready yet. The fast speed of these type of bike chain conveyor belts mentioned, gives the illusion that fast moving = ready for more, when the screen says it is'nt. Too many people get excited at the speed and feel an urge to be compelled to get more into it faster. Above poster that responded to me even admitted to being guilty of that lol

Because people have nothing to do except stand at a silly machine feeding cans in one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭beachhead

Will contribute to any list drawn up.Non return logo products could turn out cheaper in the North and be accepted south as you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭beachhead

Serious stuff.But the shop not saying fraud.Yet,that is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement