Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Rest in peace Beautiful Soul

An unforgettable voice!!! I really hope you are at peace now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Scarlet Ribbons was one of my favourites.

RIP Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

While her music never appealed to me, Sinead was super recognizable, she was incredibly talented and one of the best ambassadors for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

I always loved this particular performance, a song from he 1992 album: Am I Not Your Girl:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will repeat - do not respond to inappropriate comments - please report and we will deal with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://youtu.be/H0KqDmvlSyw.. One of my favourites. Rest easy, Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Sinead always embodied strength over frailty, and continues to do so in the legacy of her music that she has left to us.

" I remember it, Dublin in a Rainstorm... ...... ....... when did the light die?

Best wishes to Sinead and her family at this time and into the future ❤️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No doubt she was a complicated soul.

As distinctive a voice as you can get.

Her piercing eyes.

A wonderful talent.

Sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Was lucky enough to see Sinead live in the mid-90s in Finsbury Park, London. It felt like an intimate performance although I was standing in a field along with 29,999 others.

Utterly mesmerising.

RIP Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This is a beautiful song ... sums up her graciousness

Thank you for hearing me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

It has absolutely shocked me hearing this news. Poor, poor Sinead. She had such a gorgeous, unique voice and away from singing, seemed like such a down to earth person. Incredibly witty too. The media will fawn all over her now but she was clearly suffering with her mental health, a lot of the media didn't spare any sympathy for her. She was also way ahead of her time with calling out the Catholic Church - she got so much abuse for ripping up that photo, but she was on the right side of history. A great testament to her character - she was so real and unafraid to stand up for what she believed in. A real testimony to the kind of person she was, and she knew her career would take a battering for it.

She only posted this 2 weeks ago, desperately sad. It seemed she was really looking forward to the future :(

https://twitter.com/trishdevlin/status/1684284995970400259/photo/1

RIP Sinead, gone too soon. I hope you have found the peace that this life deprived you of and that you are with your son x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cannot profess to be particularly familiar with her work (bar the singles), but 'the emperor's new clothes' is a stonker.

Remember buying this as a single back in 1986. Still love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This popped up on my timeline, I'd forgotten all about it. Great cover and both now gone. RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

John Creedon has played 2.5 hours of Sinead tonight and it was so moving. This Is To Mother You on now - such a touching song, so heartbreaking given her loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,896 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just wrapping up now. Well worth a listen on the player.

Very classy and thoughtful as usual from John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Such an emotional show...my Sister is listening in London, she is fierce upset...(like me)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That's brilliant. ☺️ Her beautiful cheeky smile and gorgeous eyes. And Terry a perfect counterpart. Also gone. God, they don't make them like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Such sad news to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

People talk about so and so or such and such being a tortured soul but I believe Sinead actually was, a truly tortured soul.

My favourite song of hers is “You made Me The Thief of Your Heart”. I don’t think “….Compares to You” is even all that good of a song in comparison to others (I’d imagine Prince wrote it in a moment of boredom) but I know people love it and it probably covered all her bills in the wilderness years, which were many.

Hearing all the tributes tonight flooding social media is a reminder of how very shallow the world of showbiz is.

On the day of her sons funeral, she returned to her home entirely alone despite having 3 older children and extended family. Only those closest to her know the complex and reckless nature she was. She knew no peace in her lifetime, for one reason and another. My condolences to her children, their fathers, her siblings and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Fire on Babylon always hit me to the core. No idea why but that soul wrenching scream towards the last chorus. Wow!!! I'm of an age now where a lot of my heroes are passing or passed. Nothing to say for it except go easy into the long night, rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Janey Mack

Lots of tributes doing the rounds but this one stood out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,006 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah **** RIP

Was just saying to someone during to week about her prob never playing live again

She was one of the Irelands greatest singers. Sad thing is a lot of people myself included will only discover her true true greatness after death

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

...But there's none of them can sing so sweet

My singing bird as you...

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I rarely feel emotional when I hear of a famous person’s passing but can’t help but to feel for Sinead. She lived her life intensely and honestly, never hiding from saying what she felt was right, with Saturday night live it cost her career wise but how 100% right she proved to be and brave for standing up when it was very unpopular. And what a beautiful voice. Best wishes to her on her next journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Such a amazing voice. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Some w#####g doing the papers review on Sky News saying we can presume Sinead died by suicide, based on the family statement, her history and how her son died. He's a ####, an absolute ####, a heartless p®1©k. Show some respect. He shouldn't be speculating.

I will post his name when it's repeated. He's on there all the time, there's a couple of them on, both tabloid trash, though she was respectful.

Kevin Maguire of The Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

RIP Sinead O'Connor. Beautiful and talented.

Truly shocking news for Irish people everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The Sun is absolute trash. Currently this is one of the "tributes" in the Sun online newspaper. Idiots.

Seamus Heaney died in 2013.

Advertisement