Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

In a statement, the singer's family said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time."

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

Who is bigger on the global scale do you reckon Dolores or Sinead? I don’t really think anyone else is in the same park

-I say “is” as if present tense but continue to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That clip with Ryan Turbridy posted on after hours is a good one. It sums up neatly the differences in their respective characters.

RIP to her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

RIP Sinéad. An immense talent, and ruffled a lot of feathers that needed ruffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Oh indeed- just a smidge behind Sinead in years in terms of when she came to prominence but what an impact, what a voice when she did. Again, for people in college who had the time to wallow in the gift that’s music, such a talent and such a soundtrack to those years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

Both fantastic artists and their memories will live on.

Although in a different venue such as a lift, Enya would be well up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

RIP Sinead. I am so sad to hear of her passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

she had a fantastic email address IAmWonderful 'at' me.com She publicised it and said she never got tired of the reply "yes you are"

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

My sincere condolences to Sinead’s family and friends. She was a tortured soul with the voice of an angel. I hope she is at peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rest easy.

Was just listening to her version of The Foggy Dew only the other night, she had a voice that was second to none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

RIP.

I can't pretend I liked her music or was even particularly fond of her as a person but she challenged Irish society and was somewhat before her time in that respect. Had she become famous a decade or two later, she wouldn't have had so much trouble and people would have been a lot more open to what she had to say.

At least she can finally rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

RIP Sinead. Loved her voice and one of my favourite songs was her singing Scarlett Ribbons.

Post edited by Nothing surprises me now on

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭maximus15

A flawed genius who hopefully is now at peace with her son . None of us are perfect and hope all the positive aspects of her life are deservedly celebrated now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

A lot of Americans saying the Vatican ruined her career, complete rubbish, her best work was put out AFTER that episode where she tore up a photo of the pope, her nineties stuff really stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm so sad to hear this. She was so talented. I was only wondering about her the other day when I heard No Man's Woman, and knowing she had been struggling more than ever since the loss of her son. Such a beautiful voice, and a unique creative force. Mandinka is a personal favourite and never fails to lift my mood.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Since you ask, Dolores by a country mile.

RIP Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah no. 😔

I've said it here before but she was so beautiful she could rock a shaved head. Amazing songwriter and what a voice, may she rest in peace.

One of my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CrazyEric

I remember working on a building site in London in 1990, when this played on the radio my heart used to soar with pride for Sinead, what a voice.

RIP

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Please do not respond to inappropriate comments. Please report and we will deal with them

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

They're both a saddening reminder of the glory days though. Any Irish act coming up today as good isn't seeing the light of day. I know tastes have changed, i'm just feeling nostalgic.

She tore a picture of the pope so chances are she is in heaven.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Very sad to hear. I like to think that she's with Uncle Gay now, still patting her on the hand and giving guidance.

RIP Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It is moot as to whether people inherit Clinical Depression from their parents - if that is what you are alluding to. It seems elements of dysfunction in her upbringing left her with emotional damage which she never managed to fully come to terms with.

She certainly led a full life, at least. It's terribly sad to see that life curtailed at such a young age. I express my condolences to her family. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,236 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's precisely because a small number of people like her had the courage to speak out when they did despite the consequences for them.

You'd swear tearing up a picture of the pope was worse than abusing kids the way some went on here in Ireland. The reaction in the US was worse. You couldn't say a word about the guy even though he was covering up more than anyone imagined. I hope all concerned are thoroughly ashamed of themselves, but I highly doubt it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

on YouTube reflection it’s true! Crazy numbers, well good luck to anyone down the line anyway world went crazy for that true Irish style

• Registered Users Posts: 34,236 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Condolences on the death of Sinead O'Connor 1966-2023 RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Probably that's true but US is not the entire world, in spite of what Americans sometimes seem to think.

Even in the US it didn't destroy her career. In fact, she was planning a US mini tour as recently as 2020. I don't think it went ahead but that was due to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

So Very Sad.

RIP Sinead.

John Creedon playing all Sinead songs on his radio show, you can hear the shock and sadness in his voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

How often it is that the most beautiful music comes from within a troubled soul

Advertisement