Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

She did this cover of Run by Snow Patrol for the Shine Your Light campaign around the start of Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Another rarity from the 1990 Red Hot and Blue album which I purchased at the time- it was in aid of AIDS research and awareness I think along with a TV event showing the videos if I can remember rightly - all Cole Porter songs- really worth checking out as there are a number of incredible versions of his songs on this album including duets with Iggy Pop/Debbie Harry and The Pogues/Kirsty McColl

You Do Something to Me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am very sad about Sinead's death. She led a full life even if she was a tortured soul. RIP to her and I hope her family can cope ok with her loss.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

America treated her appallingly after the Pope incident in 1992.

Difficult to listen to them eulogising her. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

She was hugely talented, had an amazing voice and wrote some fantastic songs, particularly in her younger years. She was also funny and, by all accounts, could be very kind.

However, she was also clearly mentally ill and damaged, and this caused her and those around her great suffering.

The way she was treated in the past, as someone lazily dismissed as ‘crazy’, was cruel and unfair. At the same time, I find some of the latter eulogising of her, as a brave ‘truth-teller’ who was always right, to be facile and a bit unsettling.

She is at peace now. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very well put.

There were many aspects to her, it’s not a simple story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Russell Crowe recalls chance encounter with Sinéad O’Connor in moving tribute: ‘Oh, it’s you Russell’

Russell Crowe paid a nice tribute to Sinéad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Morrissey's statement on sinead's death is bang on and worth a read.

Some of the people venerating her after her death are the same people who were critical and ignorant of her struggles while she was alive.

She was a very brave and troubled woman with a beautiful voice and talent that is a rare and precious thing in this world. It makes me angry to think of the bad cards she was dealt in life. And a lot of the empty platitudes are coming from the same people who dealt some of those cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think that Sinead O'Connor and Delores O'Riordan had 2 of the finest and most recognisable female singing voices of a generation.

A lot of the singers these days are technically great but lack any interesting or distinctive character or timbre in their voice. O'Connor and O'Riordan had that character in spades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very said to hear of this , I still remember buying her first album in 87 when it came out and loved it. Only listened to it again a few weeks ago and "Troy" is still spine tingling.

Also, it cannot be underestimated the impact her music and visual appearance had in Ireland at the time.

Her next album was also fantastic and I find it a bit sad musically that most only know her from her cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U", as good as it is, but just ignore her own songs and songwriting ability.

I also really enjoyed her last 2 albums, particularly, "How About I Be Me (and You Be You)?"

I didn't judge her much for her religious beliefs or various activities, but she has since been proven right about pedophilia and the church, she did always come across to me as a very kind and sincere person but clearly with issues. Many people judged her for this and sadly branded her a nut job whilst I just liked her for music and amazing voice and the best tribute I can advise is to go listen to her back catalogue, particularly her first 2 albums and her last 2.

Her likes will never be seen again as her voice and talent was truly unique, I'm very sad at her passing but also pleased that I got to enjoy her music and still can.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is an RIP thread. Not a place for petty squabbles

If you cannot pay your respects then do not post. If you wish to speculate over cause, do not post

rogber threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Baba Yaga

sad news,very talented and such a voice!!! RIP Sinead hope your at peace.

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A great musical talent and also a very important social voice. She had a huge impact on shaping our country & had a great imact on the island. It is a better place because of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

Theres a style of singing now that seems very common, like some generic boybander meets r n’ b or “soul” I dunno you hear it in Sheeran types and a lot of bands even.

I couldn’t separate nor distinguish any of them but regarding these girls the profoundly unique nature of that Irish lilt and how it captivated the world from here to the remotest of hillststions should not be lost on those seeking to make an impression ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭gussieg

❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sinéad was academically trained in music - she studied voice and piano at the College of Music in Chatham St (which is now the TU Dublin Conservatoire), and she often talked about what she had learned there, and how it affected her performing and her artistic choices. Not to deny her enormous natural talent, but one of the reasons why she stands out from the general rule of female popular vocalists is her academic training.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭pjordan

Have to say Sinead's tragic passing have invoked such a range of feeling and emotions both publicly and in myself privately.

It's interesting and truly sad to hear her described alternately as both powerful, strong, fearless, brave and equally fragile, vulnerable, delicate and hurting.

I think she needed and frequently craved the recognition and the adulation that fame and fan respect brought, but it was also that same focus and attention that so harmed and acted as such a damaging and even destructive force in her life and which she periodically had to escape from or armour herself of alternately hide away from, under a variety of masks or created persona be it the punk, the shaven head, the nun, the priest and ultimately the veiled muslim. Sometimes that caused me and many others to shout at the Sinead we were seeing or hearing on the media "Ah Jays Sinead what are you doing now? Have you any crediblity left? you've changed your position so many times that it's almost become a running joke" but now on reflection all these was poor Sinead just trying to keep it altogether in whatever way worked for her, irregardless of how it might have made her seem to others.

I've heard reflected in so many tributes over the past 12 hours or so, her pure base sincerity, her generosity, her feistiness, her self depreciating self awareness at her own vulnerability and fragility and her alternate love of and loathing of the attention that her fame brought.

I'm reminded of the huge range of repetoire that she applied her talento so flawlessly to, from the begining of Heroine with the Edge and Intuanua's Take my hand, her own huge repotoire of songs and the almost cliche that was Prince's "nothing compares.." thru the sean nos of "I am stretched on your grave", the trad of "She moved through the fair" and "The foggy dew", the musicals of Evita and Am I not your girl?, the church hymns, the Christmas songs, The reggae and house, The covers of Bernie Taupin/Elton John's Sacrifice, Kurt Cobains "No apologies". Truly anything she applied herself to was so beautiful and so filled with raw emotion and feeling.

So many times in the past she seemed so lost that you thought she might never re-emerge but yet she did, and so often did with a new force and energy and conviction that sometime disturbed the onlookers and even those close to her. I frequently felt for her brother Joe, whose reticence at growing up in the same house as Sinead seemed so at odds (or so private in any case) to the one so publicly and rawly broadcast by Sinead. I also think, listening to the many soundbytes being played of her in the past hours, whilstst she was obviously hugely intelligent and well read and articulate, she frequently sounded like a timid, frightened little girl of about 9, as if part of her never moved on from the real or imagined trauma of that time in her life.

I often wondered at the time of some of her more apparent hysterical or impassioned outbursts, would someone close to her not take her aside and maybe protect her from herself, but I suspect Sinead was an untamed force that could never be tied down or controlled by anyone, even herself.

She truly wore her heart on her sleeve, most vulnerably in public view - I have a particular recollection of her over ten years ago taking to Joe Duffy on Liveline about the detioriating health of Shane McGown and predicting the imminent demise of Shane - a certain irony in that Shane, albeit now in hospital, managed to outlive her.

I definitely worried for her even more in the recent years. The tragic loss of her son was a blow that would floor many much stronger than her. Previous escapades and certain social media broadcasts portrayed a very vulnerable, lost and fragile person. Covid and the cancellation of performances and the removal of her from the lifeblood that was her performances and her recognition had to be further body blows to one so dependent, indeed I would say addicted to same. It might have been BP Fallon last night that referenced her moving from Bray to rural Wicklow and (per one of her last SM posts) from there on to London in the last month as a person desperately striving to find her place again. I also think sadly that age was impacting on her, both on her voice and the vibrant energy that younger people are so frequently oblivious to having until it begins to leave them.

On that note, I think poor Sinead was just ultimately killed by emotional exhaustion with the world and the forces that were set against her. RIP Sinead and thanks. May your sweet music roll on

Post edited by pjordan on

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭numbnutz

Being a big of The The fan back in the day I can always remember just listening to this over and over....her voice made you listen. The intimacy of the recording and the emotion from her was just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mammychicken

Thank you, that has me in tears, I got through the 80s because of the Lion and the Cobra, gonna make my kids listen to it now, Go in Peace Sinead and thank you from the bottom of my broken heart 💔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I seen this earlier.

Found Sinéad's new Twitter account, it's from 9th July.

Her last Tweet was on the 17th.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bit mad that Madonna was having a go at her for tearing up the Pope's photo, especially given her "look at me I'm so edgy" persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Photobox

Another haunting and powerful track she sang on was 'A prayer for England' with Massive Attack. Don't think it has been mentioned. It would still make me shiver hearing it, its about the child murders in England in the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I was actually never a particular fan of her, however I think her voice was rather unique and remarkable. It's that what made her music great.

I also didn't mind when the tore up the picuture of the pope regarding all the scandals of the catholich church, after all, she had to experience one of those Magdalen asylums once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭baldbear

She was a iconic Irish legend. She put up with alot of crap from some. I feel terrible for her kids.

Life can be so hard for some.

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So RTE news just said the Metropolitan police were called to her home in London where she was found unresponsive.

Maybe her heart just gave out. That's what I hope anyway and that she never knew. Hopefully she just died peacefully.

I've never heard it before. Absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Presumably she will be having the full Islamic funeral and burial ?

Wikipedia has a lot of info on Islamic funeral traditions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

She deserves a good send off irrespective of religion.

Advertisement