Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Tom Dunne doing similar on his Newstalk show now, just about managing to hold it together.

I recall her dueting on several songs with Peter Gabriel at his show in the old Point in 1993. It was probably her first Irish appearance since the SNL reaction and it brought the house down. Great artist.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Same as myself.

It's more frightening when you are around their age.

Sinead is part of our group, the teenagers in crappy, but brilliant, 1980s Ireland.

In the last while, we've now lost Christy, Sinead and the wonderful Cathal Coughlan last year.

All sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Too much is made of the SNL controversy, Sinead was always religious and spoke very affectionately about Catholicism more often than not, suspect her ripping the picture of the pope was a statement against the institution itself , not saying she necessarily achieved much by doing it but she wasn’t motivated by hate

The cuntt contingent will be out in force on social media. She's an easy target. I've already seen "manosphere" pricks belittling her, and anti Irish comments. No doubt ridiculing people with mental illness will feature heavily too. It's fashionable to be a nasty piece of sh1t... among a minority. A very noticeable minority because they're so sadistic and ruthless, but nonetheless, a disturbed minority, "brave" on a keyboard, who'd get a well deserved bloody nose face to face.

The way to tackle them is just ignore/block them, but people won't do that - they engage with them, which is exactly what they want, and it bugs me. Why give them what they want?!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bartkingcole

I never heard this before but popped up on you tube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh really? it cost her big time in the US career wise but that didn't stop her.

Her personal beliefs are, and were, her own business - that has zero to do with calling out the global child abuse conspiracy in the RCC. That took real guts at the time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, it's just the biggest record market in the world. And I think a mini-tour nearly 30 years later proves my point not yours. She could and should have been absolutely massive globally but instead chose not to be silent about horriffic injustice.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This video for me just showed how much of a brilliant singer / performer she was. No backing band , just her on her own in front of this massive crowd and she silenced them completely - and she was only 21 - The sheer power of her voice - I dont think anyone comes close or ever will in my opinion.

RIP. Another one of the greats gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Manc-Red_

A woman who could sing in a way that few could match but had her own way of doing it in her own unique beautiful way.

RIP to a woman who didn’t bow to the sheep of the game she was in and although had some amazing and truly hugely deserved moments in music - she too had some very rough and head turning private moments that would test anyone very hard.

Thanks for some of the best music/singing you’ll ever hear anywhere.

You’re in the arms of the angels now. Truly deserved.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭CPTM

The major USA media stations like CNN, Fox and USA today are all reporting her death at the top of their home pages now. She really did make an impact. I hope it doesn't sound strange but I wish she could have seen all this. The amount of people who cared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I believe she once recorded a duet over the phone with Peter Gabriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/do-you-need-to-be-hurt-or-mentally-ill-to-be-a-great-artist/

This Red Hand File seems appropriate tonight.

What would she have accomplished without the illness and the suffering that went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

No is the answer.

A very high number of normal everyday people suffer mental illness we just never hear about it whereas we pretty much hear about every famous person who has mental illness.Therefore this gives and impression that a high proportion of talented people suffer from mental illness when in reality the proportion is probably no greater than the general public.

This deifying of artists as "tortured souls" is tedious. In reality there are as many "tortured souls" working in offices and factories etc all over the world we just never hear about them because they don't have any talent for music, art, literature etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's really something to see the outpouring of tributes to Sinead tonight, some of the anecdotes in this thread that spoke about her caring and genuine nature.. the personal reminiscing and throwbacks that reflects she was a one of kind, a hell of a woman with this amazing talent, and someone who always spoke and sang the truth, her amazing voice and social values will live on and resonate for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

Tough one this. She's was "our" Sinead even when behaving a bit erratically. I was wondering why Chuck D, Flava Flav and Ice-T have been paying their respects this evening. She turned up to perform at the 1989 Grammy's with this which PE and other hiphop artists boycotted at the time as the best rap category was not going to be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I believe Sinatra said she needed a good ass kicking and she replied that she was sure he's had plenty of practice in kicking women and even throwing one through a plate glass window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Sinéad O'Connor naively swapped one oppressive abrahamic religion for another equally oppressive one. What a classic tune she sang with Jah Wobble.

As my Dad aways said the catholic church oppressed Ireland as much as the British did. Time for Ireland to re embrace its Celtic Pagan heritage & move forward in this new millennium!

RIP Sinéad May the Gods guide you on the journey to the Otherworld, to the land of the Tír na nÓg.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭maximus15

This song always gives me goosebumps. Have to admit brought a tear or two listening to it tonight .

• Advertisement

This country is certainly full of bitter, miserable folk. Politicians are tweeting about Sinéad (and no doubt they'd be pilloried if they didn't) and the vitriol, including a classy "fuk off" from some PBP one, is just so disrespectful to Sinéad.

An iconic voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

She lived though an Ireland I only vaguely remember the tail end of and it really is thanks to people like Sinéad that I never had to experience it first hand and I’m hugely appreciative of that.

She spoke truths that at the time people didn’t want to hear and she was utterly fearless.

They’re truths that very clearly still frighten a lot of people in the U.S. and a lot of alt sh1te fringes of Twitter, and they still need to be spoken!

We’ve lost a truly remarkable Irish person and very much one of the true rebels who crop up in Irish culture, who seem to see from a different perspective and can’t sit idly by and tolerate injustices.

She’s was a phenomenal musician, artist, social commentator, a natural philosopher an activist, utterly striking and could captivate an audience in a way very few can. She’s always going to be an icon, a legend and will be remembered and probably will still be making waves for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Never met her but had very occasional dealings with her over the phone when I worked for a business here who she was a client of…

she was always extremely upbeat, friendly down to earth and charming in conversation and always expressed generous thanks and gratitude for whatever even basic levels of assistance / service that I or colleagues would need to give her….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I’ve heard very similar stories from quite a few people. She seemed to be really down to earth, genuine, friendly, good humoured and nice.

Yeah I totally associate her with the opening of the floodgates - it was 1992, a watershed year, when she tore up the photo of the pope, and it was also 1992/3 when Bishop Casey's relationship and resultant child were revealed. At least he was with a consenting adult, and he sure as heck wasn't the first such cleric, but it was still in breach of his vows and therefore a scandal... and finally made people (moreso young people) question the church's authority and perceived "infallibility". 1992 was the year of the X case also.

'94 was when Brendan Smyth's abuse of children was news. Massive news - helped bring down the government. Early '96 - the industrial schools, beginning with the Dear Daughter documentary about Goldenbridge; Sean Fortune... It seemed like every other week there was a new revelation. And the decade ended with the States of Fear documentary. Just evil horror after horror - it was deeply disturbing and absolutely heartbreaking, but a good thing that it was finally out in the open.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bartkingcole

What a line…..

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a44654287/sinead-oconnor-dead-54-tribute/

But when Sinead tore up a picture of Pope John Paul II on Saturday Night Live in protest of the Church's massive conspiracy to obstruct justice on the subject of child sexual abuse, she put herself out there before almost anyone else, and she paid an awful price, including getting booed off-stage at Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary concert, the most disgraceful performance by a Madison Square Garden crowd since the German American Bund meeting in 1939.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If you haven't heard her cover of Elton John's Sacrifice, it's something else

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

RIP Sinead. Hope you meet your boy now.

I watched the Shane MacGowan documentary from 2000, If I Should Fall From Grace of God, tonight. Sinead came into it a few times. Many similarities, their unique, and often contradictory beliefs in God and religion, the genius both possessed. The big difference seemed to be Shane's relatively happy childhood, particularly his trips to Tipperary, compared to Sinead's.

We've watched reality tv shows in Ireland over the last few decades they throw up pop singers, the flavour of the month but Sinead was raw talent, the real deal, authentic. We really won't see her likes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

Advertisement