Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Very sad.

She had a fantastic voice, and while she was a great songwriter in her own right, she also had a great knack for making other people’s songs her own.

Her album “Throw Down Your Arms” is a great example of this. She managed to mix authentic roots reggae music with her authentic Irish voice to create something unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Jesus, shocked to see the thread title. A real talent who truly suffered for the truth and her art, RIP.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Same - an incredible version. Sinead was quite brilliant. May she RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The very best voice matched by strong character, may Sinéad rest in peace.

edit to correct typo

Post edited by Furze99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I am genuinely shocked to hear this.

She was such an incredible talent - the way she sings the theme song to "Outlander" this year, literally gives me chills. You can hear all the nuances in her voice as she sings softly, and and then, the pure power.

May she rest in peace. Condolences to her family and friends.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭traco

So sad to hear the news. I hope she is at peace and condolences to her friends and family.

I had the honour of seeing her in Vicar St in 2019 and it is proabably one of the best live performances that I have had the priviledge of seeing. She was in complete control and it was a performance I shall never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

You’ve perfectly expressed how I feel in this post

Rest in peace, Sinead x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Very sad news. I never bought any of her albums but I remember when she came out first, and the power and emotion in the song Troy in particular. I hadn't listened to it in probably 30 years until an hour ago. Amazing, spine-tingling stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Dolores after 1993 or so but prior to that, and her Papal protest on SNL, Sinéad was a massive massive star all around the world.

She was absolutely an international icon of the early 90s, if only for a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

She had the voice of an angel.

RIP Sinead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Few better singers Ireland has produced. Amazing songwriter a pure poet. Such a shame she was so troubled with her mental health RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So Sad.

May She Rest In Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rest in Peace Sinead, united with her son which she never recovered from losing, a raw unique emotional singer, terrific voice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Shocked to hear this. I hadn't realised she had been ill but hadn't heard anything from here on a while so makes sense...Great voice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I'm **** shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭fallen01angel

I'm genuinely shocked and saddened to hear this news.

Sinead O'Connor was a woman before her time,she didn't give a toss for people's opinions, stood up for her beliefs and suffered many a consequence for doing so.

I had the pleasure of seeing her perform in the Cork Opera House in 2019,where she held the audience in the palm of her hand.I had bought a ticket to see her at Live at the Marquee in 2020,but unfortunately she cancelled,I never submitted a refund request as I had hoped that one day I would be able to use it.

If anyone has never watched the documentary "Nothing Compares" I highly recommend it.

Rest Easy Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭batman75

'Nothing Compares to you" has to be one of the finest covers ever recorded. An iconic song from 1990 and the first time Sinead O'Connor came into my world. She was so striking and her voice was haunting.

I hope she is at peace. Rest in peace Sinead. Thank you for the music through which you will be eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Photobox

Troy, one of my favourite if not my favourite song of all time , listened to 'the lion and the cobra' and 'I do not want what I haven't got' over and over in my late teens and early twenties. Brilliant albums, An incredible talent. Very sad to hear this. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭supernova5

"The lion and the Cobra" in my estimation is one of the greatest debut albums of all time, the raw emotional, haunting sounds sets it well apart from what anyone else was doing in the late 1980's

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Her first two albums were remarkable, Lion and the Cobra at 21 is an extraordinary solo debut album.

She reminds me so much of Americas great Townes Van Zandt; another bipolar artist who suffered childhood trauma of a different type.

His early work is probably the greatest in America song writing but like Sinead the disease and trauma took its toll and his career petered out to an extent.

The private and public suffering both endured is probably not quantifiable.

RIP to a great Irish person

Post edited by Large bottle small glass on

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

Can't believe it... Last weekend I saw that "Nothing Compares" will be on Sky Documentaries on Saturday and had made a note to watch it. It'll be watched with sadness.

I have a memory of her singing on the late late show in the 90s and her saying "**** the pope" at the end, but not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Sineads record sales would be far lower but her cultural impact probably bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

John Creedon is playing a blinder with his tribute to Sinead. He's obviously very shocked and sad too but he's doing a great job without any preparation.

Slán leat Sinead. Suaimhneas síoraí duit ❤️.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sinead was a hero of mine. Beautiful face and voice. And some powerful songs of her own and songs of others sung powerfully.

Pulled no punches. Even today there was a horrifying clerical abuse story in the news.

Still remember listening to "I do not want what I haven't got" on the cheapest crappiest personal stereo and headphones on the bus to college early on a Monday morning and the sun coming up. And it sounded amazing.

Saw her a couple of times including playing backing vocals to John Grant probably 10 years ago in vicar st. She seemed like she was enjoying life. But always the problems in the background.

"These are dangerous days

To say what you feel is to dig your own grave"

RIP Sinead and God Bless ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Very pretty when she was young, even with the hairdo. And great voice. Rip.

This makes me so sad. I loved her unflinching vulnerability in the face of such ridicule and even cruelty. I saw her at an intimate show in a church few years back, and she was so warm and lovely when she interacted with the audience. And of course that voice - you could always be sure every syllable was sung with the utmost of sincerity. Raw and honest and tender. Oh gosh what a loss. 💔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,291 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Haven't listened to a huge amount of her music but I always loved the song Mandinka.

I'll have to listen to some more of her stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Advertisement