Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I have no idea if it was an assault or somebody with drug issues, it's just not nice to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

8:30 pm last night on Nassau street saw some people helping a woman with blood all over her face lying down. Asked if they needed any help. Was told she had been mugged and there was an ambulance on the way. The woman had an American accent. As I went on my way two american parents and their kids were in front of me. As I was passing them out I overheard one of the parents say to the kids. "It will be safe during the day tomorrow."

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

73K posts, nough said.....you should have been a politician....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

That's a street you would assume is safe. Is no areas in Dublin safe anymore?

Was the woman mugged American?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Plenty of Gardai WANT to be hiding away doing paperwork instead of doing a bit of hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭mikethecop

So anyway helen ive got myself a better job with a real pension and none of the shite admin or pandering to ngos that you rammed down our throats.no more random disciplinary processes substandard equipment and supports disconnected judiciary.

Thankfully its abroad too so i don't have to watch the destruction of the city center and national police force that your helping to cause

go f your self helen ya failed banker and take that oblivious little toad drew with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Yeah I would have thought that street was ok. Lots of people around too. The woman was either American or Canadian from her accent. At the risk of offending Canadians :)

Didnt see one garda on my walk from Rathmines down through harcourt street, grafton street, nassau street on to pearse station. If that was a similar area in London there would be police everywhere along your walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Simplistic solution by Helen. More Guards won't stop the problem. Stinks of a panic reaction and going for the easy low hanging fruit. €10 million will not go far.

While it will help, It's not getting to the root of the issue, cause and effect etc.

Need to do something about the judiciary and greed filled legal system for one that has created an environment of a revolving courtroom door that has lads/ladies with 100s of convictions walking the streets, young people feeling like there are no real consequences to actions and a demoralised police force.

There are many other things that need to be done. The concentration of social housing and generational dependence on welfare needs to also be looked at.

Maybe a new type of police force for the city also. Respect for the Guards is gone.

A dedicated task force should be established to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I would have assumed the same thing. Once over the southside of City that it is a lot safer than the Northside, I have often walked around from Trinity college up to Stephens Green, usually at night and not been bothered. I wouldn't say the same walking from one end of O'Connell street to the other. I suppose it shows you can't let your guard down anywhere in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Makes sense ok, couldn't agree more. The police, especially in Dublin needs a radical shake up. I hate to say it but on

several occasions when I was in the city centre on different days I couldn't get over how frail the pairs of police men/women were.

They certainly did not look one bit intimidating, height wise as well is a joke. Back in the 80's I think the height restriction was about 5'11, ?

They also need some serious training in combat so they can at least defend themselves, never mind anyone else. 'Stand aside there' isn't going to do it anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

D2 is not always the safest.

It was very rough before Stephens Green Shopping Centre was built.

In more recent years a guy I was walking with was punched in the face on George's Street by a teenager. Friends of mine had stones thrown at them near the housing estates next to Stephen's Green.

A journalist was punched to death on Camden Street a few years ago.

There have been stabbings near Grand Canal Dock, and that's near where black American actors coming out of Grand Canal Dock Theatre were accosted by teenage racists recently.

What's happened, it seems, is what I call imperfect gentrification.

In NYC, South London and other places they move in rich people to gentrify certain areas and quietly, hypocritically and un-officially eject the poor people (sometimes poor black people but ssssh!!!), usually by pricing them out but there are other methods too - such as re-locating "project" housing.

Here we bring in fancy shops and apartments and well-to-do people to gentrify D2 and... that's it. Social housing of low-income people in the heart of Dublin remains.

As I said to a friend of mine when we were walking in Grand Canal Dock, you could pay €400,000 for one of these apartments and for the privilege of getting stabbed on your doorstep. What a bargain.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree with a lot of this but not about the limited access to education.

Afaik, every child in this country has access to the same education systems. In fact schools in some areas (deis schools) get additional funding although imo thats what starts the 'disadvantaged' mindset ball rolling. If kids are told from age 3 that they live in a disadvantaged lower class area that needs extra help, why is anyone surprised when the kids emerge years later with an attitude of needing extra help and not having the same opportunities as others? What genius thought that was a good idea?

By all means put in extra funding for equipment if its needed but stop labelling the schools and students as some special category of citizens.

As far as opportunities are concerned, if some kids put in the hard work then obviously they will have different opportunities as regards further education and career prospects. They work for it and deserve the good outcomes.

There seems to be an attitude around that everyone should get the rewards whether they put in the effort or not, housing is a perfect example. Many hard working tax payers can't afford the huge cost of buying a house and are outside the limits to receive state aid, yet others who don't put in the same efforts manage to be awarded new built homes by the state. There is something wrong there and imo, state agencies or ngo's who perpetuate the myth that lack of access to education creates hopelessness and lawlessness are wrong - our education system is available to everyone equally.

Let's be honest here, some people just like easy street, they want the cream and expect others to provide it for them whether thats by hood-winking the do-gooders or through criminal activities. Why bother working when they can take what they want from others - after all, even the state tells them they are 'disadvantaged'...🙄

The irony is that a lot of people these scrotes target are the ones who are paying a fortune in rent on top of being taxed to the hilt to subsidize the entire lives of these scrotes. They are just getting by, yet the scrotes have a real chip on the shoulder "us versus them" attitude. They are born in a country with every opportunity to make themselves successful. **** their whinging and entitlement which is learned from their lazy as sin parents.

And the targetted themselves cannot get out of the rental trap loop. Lives are being made exponentially miserable.

Tbh at this point I'd be in favour of a move of the capital to somewhere like Athlone. Centre of the country for a more equal dispersion of wealth/jobs, good motorway and train network. Almost a blank canvas to work with in terms of infrastructure builds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The older Guard in the white shirt looks like she's telling them to finish up there chat because dinner is ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

That subgroup keep on compulsively having kids also.

Breaking that loop would be a massive social and economic relief for wider society.

Some teenage gal with about three kids in tow (before she hits 20, more thereafter, no doubt), zero income and the father could be one of God knows how many male scrotes, all additional welfare beneficiaries.

It would massively reduce societal burden in so many ways.

And yes I've noticed that also, paradoxically, that subgroup have a perpetual chip on their shoulder against the part of society that essentially keeps them solvent.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Tbh at this point I'd be in favour of a move of the capital to somewhere like Athlone. Centre of the country for a more equal dispersion of wealth/jobs, good motorway and train network. Almost a blank canvas to work with in terms of infrastructure builds etc.

I dig this idea also.

Longford had been discussed in addition. Somewhere more central that could benefit from the development, whilst easing the Dublin'centric state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Only if they are donned in their traditional styleless tracksuit attire. Looking sportsman like.

And we can tie a pair of their runners to a nearby overhead wire.

The root cause is a lurch to the left and a soft approach to crime and an endless treasure trove of social welfare goodies.

Sonething is seriously wrong when an average salaried couple are worse off than 2 unemployed scroungers on the dole for life.

And on crime itself, we tried the softly softly approach. Most of us knew it wouldnt work.

"Give the kids more facilities" they said...we did.

They burnt the kids new playgrounds down in the liberties and in Irishtown.

When we fixed them and gifted their doley parents another 200 a week and a free gaff, they burnt the playgrounds down again.

Just get them off the streets.

There arent many of them. Yet.

Tis all true.

We need mixed tenure developments in the city centre, especially the northside.

Free gaffs shouldnt be the done thing in the city centre.

Reserve social housing in the city centre for people working there and thats it.

And for gods sake local councils, stop giving all the houses you own to people on social welfare!

Think about the middle earners that cant afford homes in the private market but get up and go to work every day and earn above your punitive social income threshold.

Offer them affordable homes with discounted mortgages and reward those working hard for society.

For once.

Give THEM the houses in the city centre, along with private developments for those that can afford it and watch the north inner city gentrify over night.

In relation to social housing and middle class earners.

I'm a sucker for short youtube info videos.

There's actually an entire class in Japan known as the "Lost Generation".

Holy crap it's grim:

It basically means they work and earn, but not enough to afford an actual decent place to live.

I was always curious where the title of this track came from or what it meant:

i.e. it's entitled "Lost Generation".

Delving into the causative factors behind the housing crises, I guess that question eventually has an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Everywhere has less well off people in society, its only really ireland and the UK where the kids seem to be as disruptive though, although even after years of living in the UK ive never seen anything as bad as some irish kids.

I think it's just down to culture really. Inner city dubs and other shithole areas just have a culture of getting up to no good, fighting, smashing things up and going against any kind of authority. They've always been like this.

I really don't know how it can be changed.

I think it's just down to culture really.

They do it cause they can; in the same way that crap rolls downhill - a reliable aspect of the poorly cultivated, those with poor character.

Enhanced meaningful police presence for the first time in Irish history (which would be a dramatic shift in historical Irish culture entirely), will go a long way to straightening it out.

But it would change the entire historical Dublin culture specifically (as well as many aspects of Irish culture as a whole), that kind of "up to no good" attitude they evidently feel provides some kind of color to their character , and it seems clear from the really entrenched Dublin-city-culture councillors, they're reluctant to advocate for that.

It's going to come down to the decision of a leader to make a commitment and implement change.

And that must be a strong leader.

And that leader is not Helen McEntee.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

The lobby groups appeasing and supporting the thrash turfed into d1 & d7 homeless & drug treatment in dublin City center don't care about its victims its not in their area and the helping business is just a career path.

Some city councillors are exploiting areas that have weak opposition and turning them into slums

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Amanda Brunker was on the radio yesterday morning talking about these cases of innocent people getting the crap kicked out of them and she reckons more facilities are needed so young lads won't be bored and they should be getting more help.

Ah yes. The go to argument of the clueless, living in some gated community who know nothing about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What kind of facillities did she mention?

The country has plenty from I can see there are Theatre groups, reading clubs, libraries, GAA pitches everywhere, dances class, yoga classes, swimming pools, gyms, running tracks, bowling alleys, acardes, 5 aside pitches, there are plenty of hills for hillwalking, there are loads of adventure centers around the country and nearly every household has some form of xbox, playstation etc to keep kids from getting bored.

So did she actually give any proper ideas herself or just throw out random statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

When that guard car got rammed you'd people on here arguing the same about facilities, people just posted lists of all the stuff in the general area.

Post edited by Varik on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, that's precisely what's needed, more gated communities for these people. The kind with gates that prevent people getting out. If they are old enough to put someone in hospital, they are also old enough to spend some long years in jail, and it doesn't matter they will come out hardened criminals, like they ain't goin on that road already. At least they will learn how to crime without getting caught, which usually involves refraining from public violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A facility of Ultimate Hell Week would be a good start. Get your man Goggins and his ranger wing buddies to run these little scumbags into the ground, terrorise them for a few weeks until they learn some respect and manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm always very suspicious of people who mention 'gated community' in relation to Ireland. It seems to pop up unedited (and undigested), right out of the US lingo playbook.

Those with a bit more nuance tend to replace it with 'leafy suburb'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement