Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Citation?

Helen should be first to go to be fair.

I'm all for "women in power" but, that should of course not preclude the responsibility they're obliged to manage.

And she was never going to be a suitable minister for justice, of all possible positions.

That being said, who would be a suitable replacement?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Does this mean Harris is in actual fact, toast?

I've read nothing to indicate McEntee is headed a similar direction? (and who would replace her?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

McEntee won't resign nor will she be pushed, she will see out her term in office. FG won't be asking for her resignation and FF and the Greens won't be asking either as this could bring down the government. Expect to see all the usual suspects like Martin and Ryan coming out and expressing confidence in McEntee and Harris and how they are doing a fantastic job in tough conditions.

As for her replacement if she did do the honorable thing, then you would be looking at Humphries or Harris, both who have covered for her while she was on maternity leave.

Humphries or Harris

Did Humphry's actual act as justice minister at any point? She was meant to but Harris seemed to ultimately hold the position. Definitely would not be my first choice (Humphry's)

Simon Coveney, could get things done?

I wouldn't trust Pascal Donohoe not to crumble.

Roderic O'Gorman is an unknown....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Resignation is an admission of failure. They ain't going to do that. Unfortunately.

McEntee is absolutely useless though. A cabinet reshuffle might be an option though, get someone tough into the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭downtheroad

From todays Irish Times "The accused, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, was arrested at the weekend and granted bail with conditions following a special court sitting on Sunday".

It is so frustrating that he is old enough to beat a man within an inch of his life, but the law says he is not old enough to be named and shamed. His name and picture should be plastered on billboards across Dublin1 to warn the public of who this scumbag is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wonder why the heroes of East Wall and other working class parts of the city centre haven't been out protesting about these attacks

Humphries did a stint as Justice Minister when McEntee first went on maternity leave and the Harris did the second stint. If they were changing Justice Minister then I couldn't see FG giving it to someone in another party unless it is to try and disassociate itself from the stink of it like they did with Health and Housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The minister has no say in the day to day running of the force. That is entirely at the commissioners doorstep. It's his fault that there are no frontline uniform gardai on the streets.

You are correct to say that he is responsible for the day to day running but FG are responsible for the lack of garda. It was FG led governments that reduced garda numbers, stopped Garda recruitment and closed garda stations. They cannot nor should not be absolved of responsibility for this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

Be careful of the mahoosive portions in America. High risk of getting fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

FG didn't stop Garda recruitment. The Garda College was closed in 2009 Under FF and re-opened in 2014 under FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well, the recession stopped recruitment really. It was AGS that closed stations.

In 2007, there were over 13,000 Garda members. In 2023, there are over 13,000 Garda members. The difference is where they are deployed, the commissioner has moved members away from frontline policing. That's down to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

The number of Gardaí is not the problem. The problem is that their role is basically defunct. They cannot wield any real street power in the new climate of criminality that they now have to face. It's not 1977 anymore. You literally have situations now where they are the ones being prosecuted for doing their job. They know this. They also know that if they arrest some gadge on 12 previous convictions, that gadge is just going to be released to commit another 80 more. That's what their job has become now. What use is more numbers of them? If I have a wet bag of wood that won't light my fire, what use is buying 20 more wet bags of wood, when the end result is going to be the same?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dublin is the capital city. However those who have the power to make it a better place appear to have little or no connection to the place as a living city. The City Manager does not live in Dublin, the next incumbent should be obliged to live in the North Inner City for six months straight and the South Inner City for another six months - all expenses paid if necessary. Get a feel for the place. It's all very fine arriving on your High Nelly and sliding into the Wood Quay Bunker only to re emerge in the evening and head out of the city. Plans, maps and traffic CCTVs do not give an accurate picture of what is going on out there on the ground.

I realise that DCC do not police the place, but they are responsible for the look of it and how it works. Pavements in bits, traffic is mad, gratings (the old ones with glass in them) all broken and unrepaired, derelict buildings all over the place. Big eyesores right in the centre. The Fruit Market was mooted about ten years ago maybe less as the food mecca of Dublin. What has happened? Nothing. The Ormond Hotel is in ruins for the last ten years or so, opposite the City Manager's Office, still an undeveloped eyesore. Supervised injection centre? Yep up the road from Wood Quay in sight of Christ Church and the Four Courts. Planning permission was refused, but has been granted on a temporary basis subject to review. Will it be reviewed and if not working out closed down? I very much doubt it.

The Garda Commissioner has power over all Gardai in the State. He appears to favour a "paper based" view of how the Garda should operate rather than an "on the ground" view, so resources have been piled into fraud and other specialities. Nothing wrong with that, but there has to be a balance for our capital city now. He is another boss who has no connection with Dublin. Same for the Minister for Justice. The City Councillors are just looking out for their own little patches, the overall picture is what should be important though and built upon. An elected Mayor with adequate power (must be a Dub born and bred and feck the monikers of racist or whatever, it is vital), but some powers that be do not want it to happen.

If I don't shut up now I never will. I am so disappointed with Dublin, and have been for many years. I could see the writing on the wall for the place years ago. It's such a shame for the city I really love, but don't like very much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The far right protesters and these scum are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You f**king know these little scumbags are from the same families that were out blocking traffic because they think refugees are getting more free stuff than them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Time to get real

Singapore is scheduled to execute a woman for the first time in almost 20 years

Singaporean national Saridewi Djamani, 45, was found guilty of trafficking 30g (1.06oz) of heroin in 2018.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Caption this pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,955 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 81,955 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Earlier today a friend and I went to watch Oppenheimer in Cineworld and afterwards we went for a bite to eat.

We were going to go to the Eddie Rockets on O'Connell St but when we got there there was someone who was injured lying down blocking the entrance to Eddie Rockets. Not sure how badly injured the person was but an ambulance was on it's way.

This was around 3:30 in the afternoon and I can see scenes like this becoming more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

DCC don’t care.

No one cares in this country anymore.

People who are meant to be looking after vital services and the running of the country don’t care.

There is zero accountability.

Just look after yourself and your family as no one else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think this is the least competent Government in the history of the state. They don't seem to give a damn about people and are all about Photo Ops without delivery. Even Fianna Fail in the 00s were better as they bankrupted the place.

We may be in a massive budget surplus but that means **** all to me if society is just being let fall apart. I'd rather be in a moderately poor country that cares about society than a wealthy country that treats their tax paying citizens like 2nd class citizens.

If due Harris is genuinely out, and a replacement commissioner in, that could change routine protocol?

i.e. less paper work, genuinely more officers out doing what they were intended to actually do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,593 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any visible reason to believe it was an assault? Could have been many number of things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement