Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Coppers on the beat now, and will be for about three weeks.

And then they'll disappear until the next violent assault.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

"clearly advocates conventional Dublin culture."

What is "conventional Dublin culture" when it's at home, and how did she clearly advocate for it, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

It's ridiculous isn't it. The over reaction is pathetic tbh. There is no doubt there is an issue but give me the inner city any day of the week compared to some of the places in the states. At least you've zero chance of being shot dead by a mass shooter in the Ilac centre can't say that for virtually any mall in the states. I also can send my kids to school without fear of them being riddled with bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭thebronze14

We got attacked in the Dart station in Kilbarrack after a football match last weekend. Thankfully no one injured...I don't miss living in Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Send in the riot police and you will have thousands out tomorrow "will someone think of the Children". Then guess who will end up in court? the Garda.

We need more jails.

We also need to hit the parents of these little scumbags. If they are committing crimes then the parents have to pay up or send them into jail instead of their children. Honestly we should all be sick of people firing out kids like smarties and then expecting everyone else to education them and look after them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Reading this thread I wouldn't go near Dublin City centre. As a disabled person who can't run I wouldn't fancy my chances of avoiding being assaulted and mugged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

The problem is condensed in Dublin City Centre and exposed more by the sheer movement of people but it should be considered as a nationwide challenge, the degree of lawlessness and anti social behaviour than creates risk for people going about routine day to day business. Something our legal system shows no capability of dealing with or deterring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Northernlily

You know, lately I've been come round to thinking only one thing motivates major senior political figures here. Before I might have written it off as some kind of conspiracy but it's patently obvious.

Self Interest for the future - whether it's housing, a look towards better things in Europe, or lucrative consulting gigs. They don't appear to be working for the benefit of the population as a whole.

• Advertisement

Same station a lady was fired under the train by youths a while back.

Of course they got away lightly.

Fooking legal system! Hope you guys are over the fright. We shouldn't accept it as normal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Correct. They regard their ministerial posts as merely conduits to getting lucrative sinecures in Brussels and beyond. They don't even talk about Irish-specific issues anymore, instead it's all climate change, facilitating mass immigration and indulging Ukraine. Not that they actually care about these things, but the posturing is essential for future gigs (as is an obligatory photo shoot with Zelenskyy). In this context, the idea of addressing crime on Talbot street is far down their list of priorities---a mere irritant in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Yes, some cars have been stolen which is still bad news of course, but its not like walking around the shops carries a risk of violence like it does in town.

I agree with you on the warning from the Embassy. Its great that they have put it out. Hopefully the govt will actually respond now and do something.

It should not be beyond the wit of man to control a small bunch of unruly kids ffs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bickering posts deleted. Threadbans will follow any more

Embracing and glamorizing their own degeneracy.

"It's everyone's fault but ours".

This.

It's a national issue just happens more in Dublin due to population density.

The ethos in law enforcement, first thing to be addressed.

We got to modify old/conventional policing methods - which involves modifying the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Sorry, what does this mean? You'll need to spell it out for us, please, that's twice now you've been deliberately vague and obtuse, on purpose I suspect.

Are you implying that "conventional Dublin culture" is blaming everyone else for Dublin's problems? Cos that's fcukin stupid, if that's what you're actually trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Modify old/conventional police methods how exactly?

The new modern police methods is what has the place with no uniform front line police anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Daithí Doolan Sinn Fein DCC Councillor of Ballyfermot has been all over the radio recently but making little sense at all.

Shouting that if resources are put into the city centre then his own area will be forgotten. Politicians shout for their own area, fair enough i suppose. It seems very defensive though as nobody even mentioned cutting resources in Ballyfermot / Cherry Orchard and he was getting his complaints in first.

Commenting about far right protests when nobody else was even thinking about politics, just general safety for all. Nobody else mentioned politics or protest marches

And lastly shouting about a "holistic" approach without ever explaining what the hell that even means. He must have mentioned holistic multiple times on his radio slots.

This is an easy quick win for any politician of any party or no party at all to represent the public. An open goal and he missed it somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

5th story on the Guardian today and no doubt other foreign media too. Tourism leaders will be pissed at the government, it's embarrassing, but this has been coming.

The miracle is we aren't talking about two deaths in the space of a couple of weeks.

If the government does not take the finger out after this and get real on policing and justice they never will.

Serious shake up needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Not being brought in on overtime as they were during COVID by the government

Embarrassing but a long time coming.

I suppose the attacks on Irish people, Mongolian people and Brazilian people were not enough to take action.

But now that an American has been attacked its uproar.

Shower of disgusting cretins in Govt. Disgusting by their inaction that cost lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But now that an American has been attacked its uproar.

I disagree with this characterization, these events you allude to all inspired uproars. There have been plenty of uproars, about prisons, judges, sentences, teenage scrotes, suspended sentences, etc. etc.

I don't particularly feel like this attack (esp. one in the OP, a physical brawl in a brawl that ends in a hospital visit) inspires any more special a tier of uproar as previous uproars, I think Fox News will make fodder of it maybe, but then they will move on. And if you're worried about how the States view it, I doubt it will register as much of a blip compared to our sensitivities, and sensory overload from our own gun crisis (numerous examples to choose). Even just on random attacks that's happened in US cities too in the last year or so, just seemingly nonsense, **** you in particular, assaults on complete strangers: https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/straphanger-sucker-punch-in-random-brooklyn-station-attack/

Am I wrong in my mere and slitted observation that Ireland has a lot of eg. protests about immigrants, but **** all protests about police/judicial/prison reforms? Reportedly the police you have don't even have body cameras. Most prosecutions lead to typically less than meted justice, and the antisocial behavior isn't deterred and the dichotomy gets worse as criminal types get bolder. That sort of thing might be a deterrent for retention and recruitment. Ireland has 1 juvenile delinquency center and it has a capacity of 54, which about is the same number of charges on some peoples rap sheets walking around, because they 'had a troubled life' and there is nowhere else to put them to get a due rehabilitation during/and incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The mess is coming to a head now, looks like Drew is toast, and by association hopefully Helen will follow soon after.

No disrespect, I live in Dublin, work in Dublin have walked the streets of Dublin for years. I have seen beatings, assaults, robberies on quite a regular basis but it's got worse the last few years. I've been a victim of 2 robberies, one my phone the other my bike. Public drug taking is rampant.

When Urantsetseg Tserendorj was stabbed in the IFSC right on the route my GF cycled from Donnybrook to my old place in Drumcondra I had to tell her to stop immediately as it was too dangerous. It could have been my GF. Around the time in the same there was a Brazilian Deliveroo cyclist mowed off his bike by joyriders for **** and giggles.

All this is happening in a small area, it should have been addressed many years ago.

For them two deaths I mentioned and that of the other young lad stabbed in East Wall I never heard as much as a soundbite from Helen McEntee or Leo Varadkar, never mind a photo op walkaround.

But this time it's different. Politicos are terrified of lil old Ireland having a microscope shone on some very very serious social issues. Frankly I don't care what the US or anyone else thinks about it, I only care what is done here in the city that I live in.

The attack on the American tourist could have been prevented if there was meaningful action long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Correct.

And some of those people died as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

Funny thing the poor tourist from the States managed to avoid all the gun crime you are rambling about but a short time in Dublin he is fighting for his life.

I walked the Streets of New York at night on my own and nothing happed me nor did I witness anything.

Dublin has a tangible sense of menace and I would not by choice walk around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement