Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options
  • 25-07-2023 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Coming off the comments from both minister for justice Helen McEntee and "prime minister equivalent" (can't be bothered typing the Irish word) Michael Martin claiming "Dublin is a safe city".

First attack last Wednesday on Talbot St.

This attack taking place in Temple Bar.

The government attitude to law enforcement is proving particularly stubborn in evolving with the times.

Despite a supposed new station open on O'Connell St (which they were basically sandbagged into by Fran McNulty of RTE Primetime), and claims of modifications in the police force and even bringing in an external commissioner - there's been no real changes in urban policing, in Dublin or any other city I've been.

Radical reform, at this stage it would be fair enough to say, is in order.

What exactly is the hesitancy?

Is it the RUC's reputation from years ago whilst they were sanctioned to carry fire arms and other weapons, avoiding a repeat of that?

Threadbans:

Yurt2

In physics we trust....

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Hopefully our politicians aren't being influenced by their political role models in the US. Shoplifting becoming a non-arrestable offence is just what Dublin City centre needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,716 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The attitude to law enforcement in this country is an embarrassing disgrace. We need more officers on the street. They should be better equipped and better paid.

Judges in this country prefer leniency than actual punishment. Some people don't change. They will always remain a threat and should be jailed for even the slightest crime.

Until this country becomes tough on crime, don't expect things to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

What an odd question?

If she hasn't an Irish passport we shouldn't care?

According to the thread title it's part of the story????

I would be inclined to agree, so why is it in the thread title with no evidence either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

It's not the "attitude of law enforcement" that is the issue. They are massively underfunded. When they go out and do their job by trying to stop a group of thugs robbing and beating up old people, they get taken to court and could be put in jail

They have people constantly giving them abuse, they try to do anything and you have 20 plonkers standing with cameras to complain about them.

The problem is not with law enforcement, the problem lies squarely with the Irish public.

I seen a tiktok video the other day of a group of young men/women/children attacking two Gardai in Dublin, about 20-30 of them, one of the Gardai got hit on head with something and ran off, the other had to do the same. As well as the people in the video thinking this was great was all the comments from people.

You need to start looking at the general public instead of the people trying to hold back the Tsunami.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She's a citizen of somewhere.

• Advertisement

A citizen of the Dublin city center according to the title

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The other week I got off the bus at Bachelors Walk and by the time I had crossed to my destination on O Connell Street 3 scumbags had asked me for money.

Justice Minister has been caught out big time here. The place is dirt and she needs to admit it to restore credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You get awful picky over the smallest things. It doesn't matter, someone else was assaulted in a string of similar assaults recently, that's all that matters. Christ...

rapidash has it right, a tougher approach to crime is needed, but the minister for injustice wants to pass legislation to make thinking a crime* so not a hope of a heavier hand being considered.

*Overheal: don't take that literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a shame you know the nationality, race and sexuality of the victims of attacks in Dublin City by where the story appears on RTÉ, no mention of it at all, sez it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Another man attacked on Jervis street too, serious but not life threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know the Dubs have an inflated opinion of themselves, but when did they start giving out citizenship?

Seriously lads, she's a human being. It's irrelevant whether she's on of D4's finest, a cluchie from the bogs, a tourist, a migrant worker or a refugee.

I would be inclined to agree, but again, for some reason it's been included as a dog whistle in the OP's thread title and picked up on by other users as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There was a high level meeting on policing in the city yesterday afternoon, attended by an Assistant Commissioner, politicians and other interested parties, SF councillor Dathi Dowling was interviewed afterwards and his biggest concern was the violence coming from the far right protest's, he wouldn't dare criticise the scum who are carrying out these random assaults, nothing is going to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The problem is not with law enforcement, the problem lies squarely with the Irish public.

No my friend.

The problem is with the Irish government.

Namely in this instance, the problem is with Helen McEntee.

How on Gods green earth she was appointment justice minister, defeats rhyme or reason.

That being said I honestly don't think both her predecessors were really any better (Flanagan, Fitzgerald).

And no one else jumps out at me as having more competent potential leadership.

But dear Lawd, a modern and progressive, non archaic "happy go lucky" attitude toward law/justice needs to come into effect.

Would it be possible to recruit an out of state politician for the position?

PS - do you have a link for that tiktok video?

In physics we trust....

Another Dublin city councillor was interviewed on VMTV.

Same speel about "it's everyone's fault but law enforcement, so many other things need to change" etc etc.

She spoke with a thick Dublin accent and clearly advocates conventional Dublin culture.

Which is why a competent politician who can rise above the conventional crap and the "don't rock the boat" mob, is required to implement change.

And that person is definitely not Helen McEntee.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People being hospitalized in random attacks is not unusual in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

We can all rest easy now as the hero we didn't want had come to "save" another thread from going down the sh1tter.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I'd wager a hefty wedge that if it was a drug addict homeless person the vast majority wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People will just avoid the city. They will basically rock up to their nearest Blanchardstown, Liffey Valley, Pavilions etc…. And do the balance online… Under a roof, there is less chance of anything happening as it’s all controlled on cctv and the urchins need to be physically allowed in and allowed out…. You just don’t see urchins inside shopping centres as a rule or if you do, they generally are not up to much in the way of disagreeable / aggressive or violent intimidatory behaviour…. Shopping Centre’s are private property they call the shots.

if we are being honest it’s a long time since Dublin City has felt safe.

we no longer have a political/criminal justice system fit for purpose and facilitating the safety and the wellbeing and welfare of citizens… it’s not a priority… put someone in front of a judge now…

1. mental heath issues
    2. drug issues
    3. family issues

All that swallowed and suspended sentences for serious assaults, barely there tokenistic jail sentencing for manslaughter now ffs….

As I’ve said before my thing at a concert / gig is to taxi it back to the local from outside…. Different times, different vibes… political classes and people have well and truly sold this country, it’s law abiding decent citizens and our welfare down the river.

Would you attribute these well outlined issues to, in a single phrase, "incompetent leadership"?

I would.

My two cents.

In physics we trust....

They have people constantly giving them abuse, they try to do anything and you have 20 plonkers standing with cameras to complain about them.

That may well be the case.

But why do youth feel enabled to behave in the way some do?

Lock them the hell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd wager the vast majority don't actually care about the victim unless they know them. But we do care about the issue this presents, ie: another assault in daytime leaving someone messed up. And yes, if it turns out they deserved it, I'd probably take that side then because I hold people responsible for their own actions regardless. It's another example of the the issue being daytime serious assults because the perpetrators have no fear of the law or courts.

• Advertisement

Did you mean to say, "lock them the hell up"?

lol

But really, ever see how police operate in continental cities? (one I can comment on is Amsterdam)

Get youth culture behaving over there as they do in Dublin?

The very thought of it is laughable.

I believe that would be a powerful deterrent against the persistent anti-social behaviour around Irish towns/cities.

In physics we trust....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement