Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To describe it more in practical functionality terms, how it works as I understand is that there’s a “playlist” feature. Instead of recording you add programmes from the EPG to a playlist. On channels with catch up services, all that does is create a link to the relevant programme in the catch up, once it’s aired. You can’t record these channels. For channels without catch up (and Sky’s own branded channels) you can record but it’s a cloud recording that you are accessing really. There’s some programmes you can’t record at all. The BBC channels are especially problematic because while there is catch up it’s limited so for example you can’t watch Match of the Day other than the live broadcast (or the Sunday morning repeat while that is airing).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

MOTD is available on BBC on demand on sky q now, so I'd imagine same on sky stream

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Ok fair enough. So I can still record/link a premier league game in the afternoon and watch it in the evening when the kids are down to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I suppose it depends on the viewing habits within the home. If you depend on the ability to reliably record and watch later, stick with a traditional Sky Q service or similar. If you are comfortable with streaming most of your content already and rarely record live TV, consider Sky Stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Can somebody who has Sky Stream confirm what the story is with BBC?

e.g Imiss a show that aired at 8pm last night.....Can I get it on Sky stream in Ireland today?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It seems a bit hit and miss with bbc. You can add anything from bbc to the playlist, but so far only match of the day and motd2 have been viewable in the playlist. I’m not sure why. I had heard beforehand that nothing from bbc would work on playlist, so was surprised when those 2 do.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

BBC on demand on sky is go good as it does not have many programs. Would not replace being able to record the bbc channels. What happen with movies and it you fall behind on a programs do you only have the same 30 day to watch before it is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Anyone ordered Sky Stream lately? Having issues with their website, get past the multi room option and then get a "Sorry, we're having technical difficulties" message.

Have tried different browsers, private browsing mode, and other internet connections - same issue.

Yup, ordered mine yesterday around 2pm, DPD delivered it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep I ordered 2 yesterday no problems, 1 for my house 1 for my parents house. Apart from having to use 2 separate email addresses everything was fine. Google chrome on an android phone I used.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I was eventually able to order using Safari for macOS. Firefox and Chrome both threw the same error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Anyone have this yet? My father in law has Sky Glass and his pause function only lasts for 10-15 minutes until it forces play, probably reaching the limit of internal storage. I see someone here mentioned Sky Stream using a cloud service instead and i'm surprised Glass wouldn't use the same. We're looking at getting stream for our apartment and that would be a big selling point.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

has anyone got this and added the Dolby Atmos and uhd ? Was it worth it. I have a full Sonos home system and considering adding it

Fairly impressed with this. Interface is good and pretty seamless no matter what you are watching i.e Sky, Netflix, Amazon, Discovery +.

Its all just on the homescreen and recommends, no matter the provider.

Like the ad skipping feature too, especially on the RTE player.

Replaced our old satellite dish and FTA antenna with this. Very simple, easy to use and good to have Sky and Netflix billed together.

The usual caveats around Sky advertising sports and other PPV in the Home Screen but voice navigation gets around that pretty easily.

Found that HDMI CEC will only turn off the TV along with Sky box if you press and hold power. Otherwise if you press the power button once, only the Sky box will power off, leaving the TV showing a "No Signal" message.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Found that HDMI CEC will only turn off the TV along with Sky box if you press and hold power. Otherwise if you press the power button once, only the Sky box will power off, leaving the TV showing a "No Signal" message.

This is the same as the Sky Q box

Couple of things on the negatives of this.

Added Ireland v France soccer from Thursday night to playlist. Trying to watch now so it redirects you to the rte player. And the rte player is doing what is does, buffering and shutting down.

So essentially Sky Stream are relying on the likes of the rte player to do its job and that is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The RTE Player is absolutely appallingly bad, even with fast broadband, it buffers. The Virgin Media Player is far superior, never had a buffering issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...should improve greatly over the coming months, with the deep gutting that ll apparently happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I do laugh at these warning , Youtubers with a few 1000 subscribers users are paid by Surfshark to describe in detail how to get BBC IPlayer in Thailand using Surfshark !!!

I’m sure you’ll find your 48 hour ban for discussing moderation on thread funny as well.

Having had this for a month - perfect for tv shows / series. Add things to the play list. Nice interface between sky, netflix, prime, apple etc.

Terrible for non live sport. Relying on the RTE player to do the lifting, no thanks.

RWC games not showing up in the Virgin Catch Up.

7 Day ban for personal abuse, extended from 48 hours for being second consecutive infraction on the same page of the same thread

next one gets the max six months,

I’m not sure why the ban didn’t work the first time but since you don’t show any sign of wanting to positively contribute to the thread and just want to post here to personally abuse me, you can take that six month ban now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys, I like the look of sky stream as I’ve currently got most of the house watching various streaming services in different rooms.

However, we’ve one person ego religiously records and watches programmes back. What I’m curious about is say something like the soaps (eastenders etc), can they be added to the playlist (using virgin rather than bbc?) and will they stay available for longer than a week? Most of the players only keep programmes for the week so is this longer?

cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I switched over to sky stream recently and the only letdown is that. The digital record on VM was great, and I believe it’s there on other sky eg Glass, Sat dish. The sky stream equivalent is Playlist, u add ur show to that and then to watch it back ur relying on the link to the player/app. The time it takes for show to be viewable can vary, with bbc most shows will not work something to do with bbc player and the odd one will work eg match of the day. And overall I find this Playlist less user grow in its display, however the advantage is there doesn’t seem to be a storage limit as it is accessing the Player. But when something goes from the player it’s gone from Playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thanks for that. Just need to sell it to herself! No one else in the house watches anything live or recorded (apart from Sport) so I think we’ll go for it.

Advertisement