Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

How much recording of BBC programmes can you do on eir tv ? Just interested, because I may switch everything to a bundle later in the year and I might consider eir, despite the appalling track record, their customer service has !

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Dermot224

Ok, eir tv is definitely starting to look more attractive than Sky Stream, if eir have some arrangement with the BBC for cloud recording, I wonder why Sky haven't come to some arrangement with the BBC also ?

You wont have access to Sky channels or box set.

You can get them thru Now TV

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there an extra cost for UHD on this? I was looking at the checkout and I don't see an option to add an UHD pack or anything of the sort.

Also, with Sky Q the miniboxes can't do UHD, I assume if you go for the Whole House addon here and get additional pucks, that all the rooms can do UHD?

I assume the quality is better than Sky Go / NowTV? Sky Go / NowTV is fairly crap for watching live sport, the frame rate is so low.

I currently have Sky Q and I'm curious about this but also still not totally convinced that I won't be frustrated with a streaming TV option.

• Advertisement

Now tv is 1080p and 50fps if you pay for Boost.5 euro a month often discounted to 3 euro. Sport looks great with that.

Iam paying now tv 1 euro a month for Entertainmenent on a six month offer.10 euro Sky Sports on 3 month offer.Sports Extra 9.99 a month for 6 months.3 euro for boost. 24 Euro a month for box sets ,live Sky Tv,Sports and Sports extra Hard to beat. I also have eir tv at 9.99 a month

Post edited by Dermot224 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

How does the Netflix work if you want to add another household?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

went to buy this tonight online and noticed the option to pay an extra 12 euro a month for premium netflix is gone, was there the other day, weird, dont think ill bother unless i can avail of he premium netflix option.

edit - seems it was an issue with chrome browser, went through another browser and the option was there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

The basic level has been removed from netflix in general, now there are two options, add supported or premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

How is it sky charge €12 for Netflix premium but Netflix charge €20.99? I I’m paying for a USA Netflix premium account would that be an issue linking up

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Is there an app you can watch it on or is just for tv viewing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Netflix? The normal Netflix app works fine. It’s the exact same service except you’re billed through Sky.

What’s the streaming quality like from the sky stream box for apps like Disney+ AppleTv Netflix Amazon Prime compared to using My LG G2 TV in built apps

Post edited by icdg on

MOD: Let’s not screenshot other forums please

I have NOW and it is way cheaper than Stream and works perfectly.It streams same stuff as Sky stream.Wonder why these pucks are acting up.

To be fair they are completely different offerings. Now is (mostly) Sky’s own content. Some exceptions like TNT/Premier but almost all Sky.

Sky Stream is intended to be a full cable TV service, including RTE, BBC, Channel 4 etc.

They are not the same and shouldn’t be portrayed as such.

In general, most problems with streaming tv/apps is because of slow broadband speeds at the the user end, but obviously not always. I don't have Sky Stream, but I'd be amazed if Sky don't produce a top quality service for Sky Stream, we can all argue about the cost, but hardware wise and quality of service wise, Sky are normally the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Thinking of moving to this from Sky Q, currently Q bill is going up to €153/month as some discounts are ending. I like the look of this, having 4k in more than 1 room will be great. A few questions for anyone that has it, is BT/TNT sports available in 4k? Is there a way to see what BBC TV shows are available on the catch-up, my wife is a big Saturday Kitchen fan and would want to be able to watch that whenever she wants.

Can anything at all be recorded to the cloud, or is it only just things that are already on-demand?

I got a call from Sky about this yesterday as I dumped the tv a long time ago. I asked the question is it a case of only be able to watch on device or can you use a tablet, phone etc. Told me you can move the box around the house to connect to different tvs. I’d even go to say it’s not even as good as nowtv as you can watch that on devices

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

You can watch it on the sky go app on phones,tablets,laptops etc

The main issue is that Sky Go won’t let you cast or Airplay whereas Now, the supposedly cut down service, will. Seemingly this is all in aid of not damaging multiroom subscription.

Now before any one gets too annoyed, do remember that without Boost, Now customers are limited to one stream at a time anyway. With Boost that goes up to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Sky Stream is not available to current Sky Q customers, you will have to cancel your current sub and set up a new account with a different name

To be honest I’m not sure why any current Q customer would want this other than perhaps the 4K aspect. You really are taking a downgrade in terms of the PVR functionality.

If price is the issue cancel and you may be offered a deal. Wait two weeks before making alternative arrangements as you may be offered a better deal at that point than the call centre are initially willing to do so.

Maybe they should inform the sales rep then. They just said no and I had to bring it to other TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had NowTV for about 2 years. Cancelled it. I'm now using Sky Stream. It is a huge improvement. The UI is much better than Now, it has terrestrial channels, aggregates other services like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. more seamlessly directly into the search and single console. They have done a pretty nice job with the service, tbf.

They wouldn’t be the first Sky sales rep to get things wrong either. I’ve had arguments with them before…

To be fair, as I say you can’t cast or Airplay, so those devices won’t get your picture onto a TV. Apple TV is an option but won’t work unless you’ve Whole Home. Some consoles might work but might be an expensive option unless you’re a gamer.

• Advertisement

Can you answer the question we're all interested in, what's the "recording " feature like ? Is there much cloud recording or is it mainly redirecting to the various players ? And in particular, how much of the schedule of BBC 1&2 is available to record/download ? The selection of programmes on the BBC on demand section in Sky Q is very limited, for example , no news, no sport etc, not even all entertainment programming is available, though obviously full recording of everything is available on Q as its a pvr, so that might explain the limited availability on the demand section on Q.

Advertisement