Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You literally just log in to Netflix on the Sky box with your existing user name and that's it, the billing gets transferred over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I did this, but it seems to have created a new Netflix account rather than transferred anything over. The on-screen messaging was confusing at times. At one point, it did say something like; "If you have an existing Netflix account, just login here" but most of the messaging referred to setting up a new Netflix account. So I gave it the login details of my existing Netflix account, which has the same email address as my Sky account. It logged me into Netflix, but it looks like a brand new Netflix account. It didn't copy over multiple profiles, and it didn't show any of my 'in progress' watches. When I watch stuff on the Sky Stream Netflix, it doesn't show up on my main Netflix account. So now it looks like I have two Netflix accounts, with the same email address.

The on-screen interface was a bit messy. Sometimes, it had an 'abc' keyboard layout, sometimes it had a qwerty layout.

Is there something strange with the parental control settings? I think I have it set to NOT restrict anything, but it still keeps asking for PIN on some channels.

Isn’t it required to ask for a PIN during the day for certain content (shows on linear channels that wouldn’t be aired normally until after 9pm) regardless of parental control settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep think your right, now tv was the same if you tried watching the likes of the sopranos box set during the day, I could never manage to turn that setting off

Get in touch with Sky, that shouldn't happen. For me, I literally just logged into Netflix on the box, and instantly got a mail from Netflix saying my billing details had changed.

Regulatory requirement in the UK, it’s a quid pro quo for allowing this content to be aired before 9pm, lest a child should accidentally flick to the channel and see Game of Thrones in the middle of the day.

Haven't heard of any such requirements here. It's just a bit mad to impose this restriction on a house with no kids around. And in my experience, where kids are around, they aren't watching Sky. They're watching YouTube and TikTok.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me how it's working for them so far please?

Yeah, happy with it so far.

Couple of comments;

1. They've gone all-in on the idea of integrating your TV, on-demand and streaming services in one location, with less focus on the TV channels. So, for someone who's older or less comfortable with tech, this isn't a good replacement for a conventional Sky or Virgin box.
    2. Likewise, the lack of a real recording feature might frustrate some.
    3. That said, watching linear TV in 'real time' is pain-free, never any buffering or whatever and not much lag when changing channels.
    4. The UI is pretty slick, if the situation described in (1) above is OK by you.
    5. Range of TV channels, even on the basic package, is much better than any competitor.
    6. Current Black Friday deals are great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

After only praising it here a couple of weeks ago I’ve cancelled it and now have to wait a couple of weeks for an engineer to come out and install a dish for Q.

I was only using it to watch matches live and it was grand for that. My wife was not happy with it because;

1. Can only pause for 5/10 minutes, after that it starts playing by itself and you cannot rewind. A couple of times it then jumped to live and she missed 5/10 mins.
    2. Fast forwarding is sluggish
    3. Sometimes after fast forwarding the ads the sound would be gone. Have to go back into the playlist and play again to get it back.
    4. On some programmes it’d show watch from start but when you tried it said we needed to upgrade our subscription for that, even though we had the full sub and it was on channels like Virgin Media.
    5. Having to wait for the programme to be put on the player before you can watch it.

So going back to Q for now. If you only watch live it’s very good, but then so is Now TV which can usually be got for cheaper and you don’t need to take entertainment to get Sports.

Thanks for that, id be getting it for the sports as I really like the idea of watching the football in 4k but the other big main reason would be for the record/catch up option which sounds like a disaster as my wife never watches live tv and she would murder me if playback stopped and started and gave her grief! Did they offer you any decent deal on the sky Q? I priced it last night and it looked pretty expensive unfortunately

I'd broadly agree with this. Just to expand on point 1 above, this is potentially a very BIG change to TV viewing habits. It moves away from the traditional approach of looking at what's on particular channels, and focuses on the content - the TV shows. You can search for a show, click play, and it kicks off. You don't really care about what player you're using, whether RTE or VM or All4 or Netflix. Just play the feckin thing.

This might be a big headwrecking for very traditional TV viewers, but it's probably the way things are going in the medium term anyway, so yiz might as well get on board.

One slight disadvantage is that there is a very slight lag in flicking between channels. It's barely noticeable, less than a second, but not the instant switch that we might be used to.

I haven't noticed any of these. I've done a fair bit of skipping the ads. On occasion, it seemed to get confused, and I had to step back out and start it again, as you described. I've done a lot of 'watch from start' and haven't had any problems with it.

I don't watch sport, so maybe it's different for sports viewers.

One of my two pucks isn't picking up programme information today. I've tried restarting it a couple of times, but no difference.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Steviemak7

Sky stream is primarily designed for people with no access to a satellite dish. If you have one then stick with Sky Q. It's is a slicker UI and more flexible e.g. tune in ITV etc

Just FYI, it got back the programme information next day. It's a bit awkward without programme information, as you can't use the 'watch from start' facility, if it doesn't know when the feckin show started.

That a bit of a simplification. Stream is working out as a better option for me, though it is a bit different to the traditional DVR box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

When I first got Stream, BBC was very hit in miss i.e you would add a programme to your playlist and it was pure luck if it would appear or not. I note that it seems to be getting better.

Virgin Media is a big one though. Most of the stuff there does not work when you add to playlist, and when you go into their catch up app section it is a very limited selection of their programming. Surely have it all there, or none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

Sky stream is great . But i'm giving jealous glances towards sky Q . In a log house cabin so i'm wondering about installation of sky dish on it wonder would it be feasible .

I cancelled my install of sky q as the satellite cables having to be connected to the tv is stressing me out now that my tv is on an internal wall. Was really tempted by sky stream but the catch up option will need to improve first

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

The satellite cables go into the Sky Q box. Both Sky Q and Stream just connect to your TV with a HDMI cable.

Yep but those cables would still need to somehow come in through an external wall and across the room to the tv which would be a nightmare unless I'm overthinking things

Not with Sky Stream. It connects wirelessly to your router, and via HDMI to your TV.

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sky will just bring them in via the external wall and basically tack the cable along the skirting.

If you want something more elaborate than that you'd have to do it yourself.

Yeah I've a door in the way as well so it would need to go up and around that. I had a satellite set up before when the tv was mounted on the external wall which was handy enough. Think I'll just keep an eye on the sky stream and hope it improves enough to suit our needs here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

What are the sky q mini boxes like ? Are they basically sky stream pucks ? Can you record on them or only watch what main box record ? Seem be only HD not 4k?

• Advertisement

Advertisement