Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

I got it this week,very happy with it so far but you can't do any kind of recording,not even to the cloud,you add shows to your playlist and they play from the players,so can;t do anything with bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Something I'd be interested in and it might tempt me away from getting Sky Sports through Now is if you can pause the Sky Sports channel you are watching live like you can on HD and Q. I'm an F1 fan but I'm not keen on the Sky Sports commentary team so what I tend to do is stream Sky Sports F1 on Now TV, put it on mute and set my sound bar to Bluetooth, set my tablet to the UK and sync up BBC Radio coverage to the pictures, this relies on Sky pictures being behind the BBC as I can't pause live sport on Now but I can pause the BBC app to wait for the pictures to catch up, if the race is on 5 Live or Sports Extra it tends to work fine but if it's on the BBC website only, I end up having to use Chromecast because the commentary is behind the pictures on my PS5 or LG FHD Now apps.

If pause is available on live TV on stream it'd make sync up so much more easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

So you can only watch programmes from BBC 1&2 Live as they are broadcast ? There is no BBC on demand service at all on Stream, not even the limited version that is on SkyQ ?

• Advertisement

Haven't seen any bbc content thats not live,I've had a good look

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Can u watch film 4 movies on demand on this?? I normally record films from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Say if you switch to a live match or sports event that's halfway through can you move back to the start of the event while it's still on live? This is one big annoyance on NOW, you can't pause or rewind live tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

What’s the cancellation/account management like? Is it like regular Sky were you have to do the song and dance on the phone or Now TV were you can cancel online? Thinking of the add ons like sports and cinema.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It only launched two weeks ago, presumably everyone’s still in contract (even one month ones) at this point!

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn’t expect anyone to be cancelling yet, I was just curious is there any downgrade options through your account or is it all done by phone like regular Sky. That’s one of the appeals of Now for me, when I want to take a break from the sports or an offer is running out it takes two minutes to cancel it compared to a phone call and a hard sell.

Don't have the sports channels yet but on all the channels I have when you put a channel on an option comes

up to watch from the start even if its been on a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes, that has been my experience too. Appear to be able to pause. Have not seen any recording options. The device is just a puck, it is pretty small. I doubt there is any storage on it. They did say that you have to pay for multi-room BUT you get access to Sky Go which you can use on other devices so technically, I can watch on Sky Go in a different room or just move the puck since it is small. From what I can see with Sky Go, some shows can be downloaded rather than recorded but not every show.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

would this have the same on demand element as Now?

It has more,has everything Now has but also incorporates all the players for their content too

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

I nearly pulled the trigger on sky stream. €45 for entertainment and the two sport packages. But annoyingly I noticed the sports extra is only for 6 months so I'll stick with Now for now!

How did you get the base package for €20? Showing as €30 for me.

Not entirely sure, think it's probably because I have my broadband with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm sure when the 6 months offer expired on SS Extra you would get same offer again

I see, sounds good if it happened. Is this what normally occurs? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I was considering switching from Q to Stream purely because the Q mini boxes can't do 4k or Atmos.

But it sounds like the service is just not quite there yet for Live TV.

I have switched from VM to this. The biggest problem so far is Playlist is 1 day behind, which is ok for things like home and away, 6 o’clock show etc as u can just watch them a day later. But I was very used to recording the vm news at 5:30 and watching it when I get in, but watching something like that a day later would be a bit silly. Anyone know if there is a way to rewatch something from few hrs ago that isn’t the current pgm??

Oh seems they are in playlist now for today. Must be it takes an hour or 2 to be there in playlist.

Would the delay on this be similar to Now? Haven’t used Now in a while but in the middle of a move at the moment so have it subbed for the football and noticed it was about 2 minutes behind notifications I was getting on Live Score when I was watching the matches over the weekend.

I know some delay is inevitable with streaming but 2 minutes was more than expected. Internet is 500/50 so unlikely to be the cause.

Torn between this and regular Sky. Pros being no dish/install and if you wanted you could move it to a different TV if you don’t have multiple pucks.

Cons would be delays, no access to full On Demand in lieu of recording and in the unlikely event of internet going down the TV is down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Now TV is odd. Using the app on my TV the delays is 30 seconds or so while using my phone it's 90 seconds. Both connected to the same internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

All streaming services of live TV will do this. It’s managed by the provider to deliver an uninterrupted stream to everyone. It can certainly vary and there’s no guarantee it won’t be a minute or so.

I noticed on the Now TV app on Apple TV there’s an option to jump forward if you are a little behind (due to pausing it maybe).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Now TV app on Apple TV is meant to have limited PVR features - you should be in theory able to pause and rewind live tv for up to 30 mins - my experience is that it’s hit and miss as to whether it works on any given occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm using Now TV since 2019. I have 4 apple tv boxes and firestick. I also have 500meg fibre bb.

Last weekend I was watching the live football on my own as rest family were away offline and the matches streams paused as if the streams were struggling up with demand.

If this happens again I'll consider an alternative or even go back to satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Not sure I quite understand the PVR functionality con. My contract is ending in November which is coincidently the same time we’re moving into our new house. We currently have Sky Q. If I wanted to watch a match or an episode of something aired in the last day, I’d have recorded it on Sky Q. What does Sky Stream offer? Will I not be able to watch a match that evening if aired in the afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sky Stream works solely down the internet, Sky Q is a hybrid of internet and satellite signal but most of your live TV would be from the satellite signal. If you want to record something on Sky Q, the box essentially records what's on the satellite stream at the allocated time. If internet streams were to be used like satellite streams that would put too much pressure on the network and therefore it's not possible to have an "always on" Internet stream the same way as a satellite feed. That's why catch up is by online on demand only.

Advertisement