Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Its good to see another IPTV option over Broadband - but at €30pm, Sky Stream looks very bad value vs eir TV at €9.99pm. Granted, the €30 includes Netflix - while eir includes Amazon Prime Video. Eir also allow multi-room without any additional monthly subscription if you purchase additional Apple TV 4k+ boxes whereas Sky force you to pay for multi-room, and use proprietary boxes. The cloud recording options on Sky also seem poorer than Eir. Eir allow flexible recording of BBC, and this is probably the most important, as the BBC i-Player is not officially available in Ireland. The Irish channels don't appear to permit cloud recording currently - but this is less of a problem because their players are available, and they have some catch-up options.

Nevertheless, it appears that IPTV Streaming boxes are the future, and will increasingly displace legacy hard-disk boxes and satellite dishes. Lest everyone gets too excited that this is being done to improve the experience for customers, the cynics might say that the real reason is to give the TV operator greater control over the advertising stream!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Silver Serpent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Silver Serpent

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Thanks for that - just wanted to double check before I make the jump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In some ways it’s a worse experience for customers. I often need to pause prime time games for various reasons, and it’s the feature I most miss about Sky, as Now TV’s live pause feature only works for 30 minutes, if it works at all (and it often doesn’t). Then again I’m paying €30 per month instead of €150pm, so there’s that to weigh up! It’s said that people don’t need PVRs any more, but I tend to disagree. Sky Stream is better than Now TV in this regard (and it should be - you’re supposed to be buying a full cable TV package here not just live streaming of key channels) but it’s still not as good as having a fully featured PVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Am I correct in saying that the way recording works on Sky Glass and I presume Stream is the same, is that the programme you want to record is either recorded on the cloud or else, the system digs the programme out of the player for that channel and puts it into a playsuit for you to play when you want. However, what happens with programmes on the BBC channels ? The selection of programmes available to view on the BBC on Demand section on Q is very small, perhaps its different on Glass and Stream. For example, if you want to record BBC news or some other programme not in the On Demand section, what happens then ? Or is cloud recording allowed on the BBC programmes now ?

It's not quite correct to say that eir tv is only €9.99 per month, don't you have to take eir broadband to get the tv system, whereas you can get Sky Stream without having to get their broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Correct with eir you have to have their broadband with Sky you're free to choose whomever you want. A friend of mine has Sky Glass and the BBC catch up stuff is not quite iPlayer level but deffo more than what's currently available on Sky Q.

True - but then Sky are forcing you to use their proprietary box which is useless when you leave Sky, whereas Eir allow you to use a standard Apple 4K TV box, which you can still use if you leave eir...and in any case you need to get Broadband from somewhere for Sky Stream to work. Eir also have Android, Chromecast & PC clients, which allow you to access eir TV when away from home. Sky Go does not appear to be included with Sky Stream?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

No discount if you already have netflix tho?!

You no longer need to pay Netflix if you have it included in your Sky package - they’ll stop billing you once your sub is linked (can’t remember what the process is).

By the way, discovery+ is included too.

Sky Go should be available (may require Whole Home on certain devices).

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

I love this option! I would go for it myself but I have access to the Family Sky Go app via Apple TV (which I pay for) and it seems a very similar experience. I was actually surprised SKY Go is so good on the Apple TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Sky Go? Do you mean Now TV?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The cost does not bother me as long as the quality is the best as possible.

F1, Premier League, Champions League, Darts, Tennis, Boxing, Movies are all in 4K and I am sure I am missing others but plenty to watch in 4K these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is the 4K TNT Sports available on Sky Stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Gooser14

They probably mean Sky Go. It's an app available to Sky subscribers for viewing Sky channels on phones & tablets.

Has anyone actually moved from SkyQ to Sky Stream?

Interested to hear the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Nope. Sky Go on Apple TV. The interface is excellent too.

Just wondering why there is no mention of the Virgin Media Player on Sky Stream, does this mean Virgin programmes will be recorded to the cloud ?

If you just wanted the Sky Sports and Sports Extra package it is. Full price after a discounted period is €105pm versus €73pm for NOW TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm paying approximately €33 pm for Sky Sports, Sports Extra and HD. I've been getting the discounts since 2019 happy out with now TV

Between the thread in Bargain Alerts and cancellation deals there should be very little reason to be paying the full price on Now TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

For BBC , most shows can only be watched live. With a dumbed down iPlayer access included, limited access to any BBC shows after the broadcast is extremely limited.

I returned Glass for that reason.

if you time shift anything on BBC, avoid Glass and Stream.

Lack of recording on BBC is a huge disadvantage. BBC has some of the best content available on broadcast TV, and no ads. Lack of recording on most other channels is not such a problem, since their players work in Ireland. It's strange that Sky haven't been able to replicate the cloud recording that eir TV offers on the Apple TV 4K streaming platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Akula

Can you record rte?

They do have cloud recording, just not on channels that have a catch-up service. Seemingly that is by design, not sure if it’s what the broadcasters wanted but it’s a major problem as far as BBC is concerned even with the limited catch up service (someone else on this thread has said it’s not as limited as on satellite though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...jesus thats expensive, no wonder the 'alternatives' are flying!

Advertisement