Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to note, Glass is effectively the exact same OS as Stream, and has all the same recording limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

If somebody in the house is a recorder, don't get it.

Virgin Media and BBC only put up some content. E.g none of Irelands rugby world cup matches were available in catch up on virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I have been with Virgin 20 years, sick of the messing every year to get a deal and cancelled 2 weeks ago, I am thinking of getting the new deal with Sky stream plus broadband. I don't have a sky dish. Just reading through the thread, we record lots of programmes including sport basically go through the guide and record everything I want to watch. Like to watch on record so can skip through adds etc. We have 2 boxes and our broadband with them. Expires on 26th Nov, is this a good option for us or try and get better deal from Virgin?

This is not the package for you if recording is your thing, stick with Virgin or check out Sky Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thanks don't you need a dish for Sky Q, I won't get a dish.

• Advertisement

You do.

You are probably best sticking with Virgin so.

All of the new streaming platforms have recording restrictions of one form or another that will probably frustrate you. Although I don’t think it’s as bad with eir TV these these days as when it launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

It's only Ok. The problem is that you can never be sure what program will have a restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Im moving house at the same time my Sky contract is expiring. I like Sky and the broadband has been reliable. The house I’m moving in to recently got Virgin fibre in the road so I’m considering whether to switch or not but I do like the look of Sky Stream. What are the main advantages of Sky Stream over virgin? Does Virgin have an equivalent stream box?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Go it today.

So far seems fine. Added a few programs to my playlist to watch later - I expected to be sent to a player to watch them - but when I pressed play they just played fine without kicking me into an app - Broadband is not the best here, so it went down for about 30 minutes when internet slowed down about 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

If you don't have decent internet this product is not for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Part fibre from sky good enough for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Decided to give the Stream a try as I wasn’t mad on the idea of getting a satellite installed. If we moved into a place with one already there we probably would have gone with Sky Q.

I have to say I’m pretty impressed with it. We had Sky Q a number of years ago and were using the FreeSat 4K box for the last couple of years or so and this is so much more responsive and faster than the FreeSat box.

I mostly use it for live sports, but my wife would have her set things she watches weekly and I haven’t had any complaints about it yet, seems to just work.

Most things on the Playlist seem to play like regular recordings, only Channel 4 seems to kick you to the Player with their own UI.

We don’t watch much on BBC but we’ve MOTD, Graham Norton and Strictly on the playlist and they all work.

An oddity I noticed the other day was Big Brother was showing the ITV X logo straight after broadcast. Not sure if it’s just a glitch with the logo or if they’re using the ITV stream until Virgin makes it available on their player.

What kind of speeds do you get? Sky recommend a minimum of 25Mbps, or 30Mbps if you have more than one puck or the UHD package.

If you’ve multiple people in the house I probably wouldn’t bother if I wasn’t getting 100Mbps or close to it.

Thanks we get about 70/80mbps. Would be planning on getting the uhd pack but probably just the one puck

You should be fine then unless you’ve numerous people streaming 4K at the same time. It’d only be a concern if you were close to the minimum recommended speed. If you’re only using one puck, even in UHD, that’d still leave plenty of bandwidth available for other things on your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Thanks for the useful comment...Anyway, my internet is not great - "5G" - slow at times speeds, but so far it's been working fine since I got it apart from that one time, will test it for a few weeks before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

Stumbled across this thread by accident and long story short I didn't know about sky stream & thanks to the mostly positive feedback on this thread I ordered last night . I presume if I buy a 2nd puck I will need a 2nd sub ?

It’s not a whole second sub, you pay an additional charge for what used to be called multiroom but Sky now call “Whole Home”.

• Advertisement

Thinks it's for any package, that's what I got quoted for the full UHD deal

It’s €20 for the “Whole Home” sub and it mirrors your main subscription on other devices. So if you have sports and movies on your main sub, you’ll have that on your other pucks/devices.

The first puck (hardware) is free, then it’s €50 per puck after that. The whole home sub also gives you access to Sky Go on Apple TVs which is handy if you already use them.

Jesus that's even better value . I can log in on ps5 so in my office to watch sport if herself wants watch whatever sh**te she watches in sitting room😂🙌🏻

Can anyone confirm what the "recording" option is like on the sports channels please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What the puck is a puck? Is it a dongle or HDMI input? Does it require power supply?

It’s what Sky call the Stream box. It’s a small set-top box, and yes it requires power and HDMI (and a Wi-Fi connection).

There’s a picture of it here.

https://www.sky.com/ie/tv/stream?irct=roi-PHP-Stream-Explore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

And its measurements are:

10.8cm x 10.8cm x 1.8cm according to a quick Google search

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Got Sky Stream yesterday to replace my Eir TV box which is now relegated to the playroom.

First impressions- it's night and day compared to Eir TV anyway. Huge range of channels, the UI is very smooth and the lag in changing channels is imperceptible. The "puck" is very small and unobtrusive, but the remote is a full size job with number buttons (another PITA of Eir TV).

The Black Friday deal at the moment is amazing value IMO: 30 euro a month for Sky TV and Netflix (which is 15 a month on its own), with Discovery+, and multiroom included, plus 6 months free Apple TV+, and even got a free download of the Barbie movie via Sky VIP.

The absence of a "true" recording feature might be a problem in the future, but we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Trying to decide whether to move from Sky Q to Sky Stream or stick with Q. The backstory is I have Sky Fibre 500mb on my account. The mother has/had Sky Q TV in the same house under her separate account. Her contract finished & Sky were going to charge her 48 pm up from 24.50 pm so she cancelled.

Sky are now offering her the basic Sky Signature for 20.50 pm with Netflix Basic added free for 12 months. Alternatively I can get Sky Stream with Netflix Basic for 12 months for 20 pm on my account (Black Friday deal). I don't watch TV myself so whichever package/box I pick it'll be plugged into her TV downstairs.

So 50c pm in it which is nothing but I'm wondering are there any quality or channel differences. Sky Q is 1080i which Sky Stream is 1080p. Does it matter? The Sky Stream remote is also backlit which is nice. Sky Stream also seems to let you skip ads for 12 months. She only watches live TV. No sports, no recording or boxsets.

I was wondering regards Netflix Basic as it wouldn't be something she would watch can I use the single screen subscription on another device instead of on the Q box or Stream puck? I have a projector with a Firestick Lite & PS5 plugged in to it in another room so would be nice to watch it there. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, any idea how I link my existing Netflix account to my Sky account?

Advertisement