Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options
  • 04-07-2023 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭

So thought I’d throw this up, in a similar style to the electricity and gas switching deals available

one big switch have a deal for eir Broadband €35 a month and €100 credit added to your account for new residential account holders, if you’ve had eir before use spouses name which I’ve done in the past

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Is that price guaranteed for the full 12 months or is it subject to the automatic annual price increase (CPI + 3%) applied April each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Eir are great until something goes wrong.

Absolute cretins to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I was just with them for a year and moved to Vodafone, I didn’t have an issue - from my experience most companies are great until something goes pear shaped

I was meant to get a google nest from Vodafone and four months later no sign of it and I had to make a complaint because customer service just kept readings script.

Anyway back on topic it is worth noting that the modem/router is deemed as a rental now so they ask for it back

hopefully this thread doesn’t turn into another company bashing and some people can benefit from bargains 👍🏻

When the last price increase came in from eir I complained because I was promised €34.99 so the customer service agent put through a discount and said he couldn’t remove the rise from the bill so it worked out the same 👍🏻

I had the same problem with Vodafone but wasn't successful in getting the price reduced. I'm of the view that the eir advertisement is in breach of the advertising code as it clearly states that the price is for "12 months" (albeit with a separate statement about the annual price increase) whereas the VF ad doesn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ECookie13

Since when do company's ever let you keep the broadband equipment? It's pretty standard for them to ask for the gear back when you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I've three Virgin Media 360 boxes in the attic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Vodafone are no better. I switched to them under a OBS offer last year and between allowing me to book an install date (FTTH for the first time) a couple of weeks earlier than the installer had available and then completely botching the line activation for over a week and giving me a different story and runaround every day I phoned them until I eventually took to twitter with it (magically got a workaround the same day then, incidentally), it would take some doing for Eir to be any worse. I also had to pursue the nest audio like another poster already mentioned.

It's safe to say that the L0/L1 support with any of the telcos is fairly inompetent these days, unfortunately, and the only saving grace with VF was that I ended up with 4-5 months credit on my account, and a couple of extra smart devices because they sent me a code for a bundle rather than the device!

i have several modem/routers i have accumulated over the years and never been asked for them back

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I've currently been waiting over a month for Vodafone to install a line in my place, their support is useless and either can't or won't give me a date for when it will be installed. Am I right in thinking that I'm still allowed to cancel because the contract hasn't been concluded?

I'm thinking rightly or wrongly Eir might give more priority to installing lines for customers on their own network.

I would have happily stuck with Virgin but the best they could do was lower my bill from €70 to €65 so fuck them.

Post edited by Antipathetic on

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Only time I was asked for a modem back was when I cancelled before contract was up. Doubt they even want the modems that much, more the fee they charge if you don't return it

Every 12 months we change the name on Virgin Media account and get the "new customer" rate and usually a one4all voucher or Sky Sports at a discount, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭feargantae

I know with Vodafone they just ask ye to drop it into a local VF shop. But there's no way to know if you actually do or not since the staff don't take any details. That was my experience anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭feargantae

Cracking deal though for 500Mb OP! Works out about €26.66 a month with the €100 credit.

The Digiweb 1Gb for €40 without any of the yearly price hike bs is another good deal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do you just do this on the website? do they not notice that it's the same Eircode and that you already have a modem etc?

I call up to cancel around 30 days before the 12 months are up and a few days before it's due to cancel I order the new one online. Same address, same bank details used but different name. They've never asked any questions...

New modem arrives, swap it out and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭jos22

for those that are interest. I got a text message from sky offering BB on 12 month contract for 30 per month.

so for those who are switching know it one of the promos they are offering to people

already in contract with Vodafone for 30. tho they tried to increase it to 40 as part of the annual price increases till I complained they put it back to 30.

they reduced mine back down after I complained. told them we agreed to 30 for 12 months.

their website now advertising

BB from 40Euro

No need to switch every 12 months

We’re doing things differently. At Vodafone, the price won’t double after your contract ends. So say goodbye to having to shop around for broadband.

No thereafter pricing

Value in the short-term and long-term

Fair pricing for new & existing customers

Free broadband installation, activation, & set up

At Vodafone we understand that when new customers seem to get all the best deals, and your bill almost doubles at the end of your contract, it can often feel like your loyalty isn’t valued. 

So, we’re doing things differently for our customers, by removing ‘thereafter’ pricing. 

This means, with Vodafone, broadband customers will no longer experience a jump in their monthly price once their minimum contract term ends (often called a ‘thereafter price’). This gives customers value in the long-term as well as the short-term, so you don’t need to shop around for broadband every year! 

Our new plans are also available for both new and re-contracting customers, so everyone gets the same price. Afterall, it’s only fair.

I cant see anything about annual price increases from the main page

The statement re price increase effective every April is still there. It's just above the plan "Select" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

What's the speed constraints with this deal i.e. Is it 100mbs?

• Advertisement

here are the sky deals

didnt mention, just said don't miss out on sky superfast broadband speeds in your home for just 30Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My Vodafone 500mbps annual contract is coming to an end in August. I pay €35 a month and got a message from Vodafone that they will continue the same price once the contract expires.

Is there a better deal out there for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Sky €30pm for 12 months. Available on skys website

link is in post 22 for both deals on offer from sky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yes very reliable and better hardware than Vodafone in my experience.

When I type in my Eir Code it says error. I might have to call Sky and negotiate with Vodafone to make it €30 a month.

I use boards on mobile, so can't see post numbers to go to 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Sky BB €35 a month for 24 months is a good deal.

I am with Pure 500mb €35 a month, comes with a fritzbox which is a good router.

I had Vodafone before and the modem was not great and speeds were lower.

• Advertisement

So I spoke to Vodafone now. They told me the price will go up to €60 a month next month (500 Mbps). However, if I get a contract with them now, it will be €40 a month. No bargaining.

I am thinking of switching to Sky.

Any thoughts/advice?

Advertisement