Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

So I have my new Siro fibre cable installed and on the Digiweb 1gb plan..........I did a speedtest as soon as the lads left and it was flying but having connected 2 laptops and two mobiles to the wifi my speed is now worse that when I was with VF, I was getting 50mb and now my upload speed is better than the download......so can anybody shed some light on what may be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

How was the first test carried out, using WiFi or an Ethernet cable?

Secondly if using WiFi are you using 2.5ghz or 5ghz?

It's possible you are using 2.5ghz and experiencing a weak signal somehow or interference in the band the router is using or possibly both. You could download a WiFi analyser such as this and make sure the band your router is using isn't overlapping with another WiFi network of change the channel to the one that is least congested.

To do this you'll have to login to the router and change the setting. I'd changing the channel on both 2.5 and 5ghz.

Hope that helps, if the above doesn't work then hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will be more helpful.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi, thanks for that, most of what you say means nothing to me unfortunately, a complete luddite here. The speedtest was done on wifi and although they promise 1gb I think I was getting about 200mb, which was 4 times faster than the VF copper connection but nowhere near 1gb. phone call to Digiweb tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

The reported speed test would need to be done over a wired connection only and to a device that is capable of reaching 1gb.

Speed tests over Wi-Fi can vary hugely depending on signal used, distance from the router and the device itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

Wifi performance will not be 1Gb unless you're using a very good wifi access point (not the supplied one) and you're very close to it. As soon as you move around performance will degrade.

If you really want to get 1 gig on Wifi, it's possible, but it takes pretty high end hardware. Both the wifi access point, and the device that's doing the testing.

What Bromley52 said is correct though. You have more chance if you're using a 5Ghz network (at the expense of worse range). I'm not familiar with the digiweb router (which is a Fritzbox I believe), but you should be able to set up a wifi network that only advertises 5Ghz and you could try the speed test on that. Lots of people run 2 networks, a "mywifi" and "mywifi-5ghz".

The below review shows some real world speed test results. You can see that speed drops off a lot depending on distance.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/722778/avm-fritzbox-7530-ax-review.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

So cancelled and transferred over to Mrs Gunner and gave them a week notice. Mrs Gunner did not want to give joint account so gave her personal one and then when set up will change to Joint. Thing is we did it on the same call .

However when we hung up the internet went down for about 30 mins. Rang virgin and said no fault their side. Then got email and rather than cancellation of 7 days they had 30 days. So another call to them(bloody hold music) They changed the cancellation to 7 days. Then hung up and internet went down again for 30 mins coincidence???

Have the current Hub in modem mode and new modem due next week. Is it case need to ring them to set it up to IP 4 enable to get modem mode?

Not going into to much details thats for Technology forum. However once off charge and then a saving of €20 each month

Ka - Ching..........rather in my pocket than theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Nice one @Irish Gunner

The internet isn’t for everyone

Got the new modem today but it's the old white model I currently have the black hub. Can you request different model from virgin or is there any difference on 500 bb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Pretty sure you can call them and they will swap over the service to the other router provided it's capable of getting speeds etc that your package has. Especially if it's newer they shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Advertisement

Does new hub have better wifi. Might ring them see as currently have new hub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

So i contacted Vodafone again to try another luck. But they won't offer 35€ a month for 500MB broadband.

I told them Sky is offering 35 a month.

I told the agent to cancel auto-renewal, but he can't as it's more than 30 days, so I need to ring Vodafone again next Friday. And then order Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My VV contract is 11 months up today so I also need to request a contract end and switch to perhaps sky. The remote chat is down today is there a phone number please tomorrow I'll be a day late

• Registered Users Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i am guessing it is vodafone you want

vodafone number is on the website and the google thing

you can just switch once your contract is over you do not need to contact them at all

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thanks the 1907 wasn't working either today I'll try tomorrow

This is the number I rang Vodafone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

My Sky bb contract expires next Monday 31. I wish to stay with them but they are giving no offers. I am thinking of getting my wife to ring up as a new customer, but in what timeframe does she make the call?

Do I need to let my current line run out or can she make the call just prior to termination and is it better for her to sign up online or at the nearest Sky kiosk in our local shopping centre?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I joined Eir at the start of June for there €34.99 a month with two months free offer 500mb (VM were not budging on price).

Eir installation went perfectly and no issues.

The two months free offer didn’t show on my first bill.

Randomly an email for Eir appeared saying that my account is in credit for the next two months.

So far no issues with Eir and the customer service has actually being quite good.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong but you never know.

Post edited by absolutegroove on

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭feargantae

Just note that Sky bill a month in advance unlike others which bill the current month so take a look on the website for your contract end date and try to ring before then otherwise you'll pay a month out of contract which could be nearly double the promo price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've already done that. They're going to knock us off on the 1st August, hence T the need to get something sorted before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Pure telecom doing it for €30 a month.

Are they good? Any connections issues?

On their website it days 35€ a month.

They are another company that uses Eirs network, so I can't see why there would be any connection or service issues compared to getting the service directly from Eir or others.

I just spoke to them and they are doing €35 a month

Mrs Gunner rang them and there is shortage of Black Modems for 1gb so they want it back. Put into modem mode and having issues setting it up with white modem. Had to do reset and then the modem option disappears so have to ring them to get them to add IP4 so I can switch to modem mode PIA

Unfortunately, still waiting for my broadband to be installed yesterday, a technician from Eir came round to install the line. However, there was some type of issue to do with the voltage on the line. He promised he would try and give me a call later in the day to give me an update, but unsurprisingly that never happened. I've tried to phone customer support, but my account number and mobile number. I used when I signed up doesn't seem to work with their automated phone system so the only way, I have been able to get any updates is through their Twitter support and they claim that they are limited in what they can see on my account and if I want more information I have to phone.

You never know. Perhaps I'll be lucky and the issue with the copper line will be unfixable, so they will give me the same deal, but with a direct fibre connection instead.

I suppose the only good thing about their customer support is they have an Irish call centre so if you can get through to someone, they are relatively easy to understand compared to some of the other companies who use call centres in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just signed up to them last week

No drop in connection when switching to them from Vodafone.

Had an issue with the modem they sent the first time. None of my 2.4ghz devices could find the modem.

But they sent one out the next day and now works perfect.

Last bill from Vodafone was €55.

Now only €30 a month. So happy so far.

I can only find €35 a month for 500 mbps from Pure telecom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

They rang me and said it's 30€ a month for 12 months.

But I only get around 30mbps speed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement