Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

I'm with Eor, bill up to €68 now from €45 sign up awhile back, how do ni go about switching to my wife's name?

Do I cancel and get her to 're sign or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I see your point but unless you've a home server or uploading video professional files, you're only spending more to get bragging rides ie I got 2Gb BB everyone.

I used to have 1gig BB via Siro and realised there was no point having it, esp as I had to pay more over 500. Now I just switch annually for my 500 connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Both eir & VF now increase their prices in April each year by CPI + 3% on the full plan price. This year the VF increase was just over 11%. I done a deal with VF in Feb for €35 pm & it jumped to over €42 pm in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

From now on, VF should have their "full price" as the 45 rather than plans facing a discounted rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Sky essentials is €10/month and gives the basic Irish channels plus a good few others with the recording function.

It will work on the Sky HD box but they will try and tell you that you need the Q box if you don't have it.

for that money you can source nearly every channel in the world with catch up and record functions

i do not condone such a thing but it is widely available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

Are there any Sky Broadband deals with sky for existing customers - had TV & Broadband for years but now Broadband only, no contract…..

Very heavy Broadband users between remote working & an online gamer in the house…. Thankfully very rarely an issue - not enough to even have to ring them… Hence don’t want to leave but it’s now €60 per month

Might have to ring them with the auld ‘I want to cancel my subscription’ line…

Post edited by nhg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I'm with Digiweb fibre on the 1Gb package that is now 60 euro a month. I had an Eir rep at the door this week promising 44 euro a month for 2 years if we go with them. Not sure about the hassle of having a second fibre installation, but got me looking at the possibility of switching the Siro fibre with a different provider for cheaper.

Is it worth calling Digiweb for a discount, or can I sign up in wife's name for new customer discount, any experiences with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just signed up for Digiweb 1gig fibre plus home and mobile calls for 39.95 for 12 months, rang Monday, fibre cable run from the ESB/Siro pole on Thursday and final install next Tuesday, cant argue with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

So when I joined Vodafone on a new cintract it was €35 a month and a google nest audio which I didn’t get so they gave me a €100 credit so to keep me they are now going to renew at €40 rather than increase to €60 🤷‍♂️

so it’s still going up €5 a month to stop me leaving hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok the best that Virgin can give me is €84 for 9 mths and €99 for balance. Thats with basic TV, landline and 500 BB. Everytime I ring up to see if I can bring them down further they say we can see you called and where offered this and no budging!!

So thinking of cancelling and open up new account in Mrs Gunners name. So thing is we are away if I give 30 days notice now so is it possible to open new account in the middle of the 30 days notice so at least get it set up. Take it would mean paying for 2 accounts but only for one month

I just have so much home automation and Asus Modem set up to existing BB. So its a case of resetting all these up again and need a weekend to do this and need internet for work,

We cant get Eir( No line in) so anyone got any suggestions or if above will work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Just turn off the existing router and set the new one to bridge mode and you are good to go. You will need to contact Virgin to tell them configure the new router as IPv4 for bridge mode to be visible in the settings. It's IPv6 out of the box.

Thanks

it's the bill cross over I need to consider. so I cancel today Mrs Gunner orders over the weekend. I get new modem ask virgin to configure it to ip4 then connect new modem up. Do virgin take the old modem or can I use it till cancellation date

so I get one final bill for old contract and one for new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Is there any difference between their SIRO offering and their FTTH offering. FTTH seems to be cheaper than SIRO at €35 for 1Gb

https://digiweb.ie/lightning-ftth-saver-broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

I'm guessing the FTTH uses Eir's fiber infrastructure, and the SIRO uses as the name suggests SIRO's network which was jointly devloped by ESB and Vodaphone. If both were available and near similar cost personally, I would choose SIRO.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Does any other company use Virgin's lines? We are stuck with Virgin as landlord refusing to allow drilling in our apartment.

Unfortunately on Virgin use their own lines. You could always opt not to tell the landlord perhaps you could ask an installer to run the new line right next to the Virgin one so it wouldn't be as noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Unfortunately we're in an apartment. An installer came out and said they'd need to drill 2 holes and there would be exposed wires running in the apartment. Landlord wouldn't agree to it.

There was another route which would have meant one hole directly behind the current connection but the wire would have to go across another person's apartment so the installer said they wouldn't do that. Understandable.

• Advertisement

Rang Virgin again and I can do the cancellation and transfer(new account on same day) so be a saving of €20 per month to stay on exising package. Can specify what day I wish to cancel and modem will be active until then but can also use new one.

They would not budge on giving me a better deail than €84 for 9 months and €102 for the rest. Just a right PIA that only Virgin line into the house. May cancel TV and just go with Eye P TV but its the BB that we need and thats whats upping price

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Virgin are the only line into our house as well, but as other people have said, cancel your account and sign up again with partner/housemates name and get the new customer offer. We've had zero issue doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I currently have 360Mb Broadband with Anytime Mobile from Virgin Media for €69.50 per month, the new contract is due to come into effect this Friday on 21st July with the price going up another €4.00

However, I left it a bit late - actually pretty near the deadline - after getting the email about changes back on 23rd May. Meant to call the number earlier today, but only remembered later on this evening so I went to the link supplied in the email and filled out the contract change form to cancel the contract.

I haven't received any email confirmation that the form details has been received yet though. Not sure if I'm going to receive a call tomorrow or I'll just have to call 1908 myself first.

It's only the broadband I want tbh, but from what I remember at the time when I was upgrading the broadband a number of years ago they told me it was cheaper as part of a package, hence the anytime mobile service included which I've never used.

I'm never done this cancel and give me a better offer hustle before, but I've been a customer since before the company was called Virgin (2015) when it was UPC and NTL before that I think, going all the way back to 2004

Having no prior history of renegotiating the contract, what offer should I ask for or are they likely to offer me? (assuming I don't want to upgrade the broadband - the current speed seems perfectly adequate to me). 6 months or 9 months at half price?

Post edited by ZeroThreat on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Damien360

I could have written that myself. Thats exactly my situation. I was a customer that long also. They won't budge on price until you have a gun to their heads. And then the best was half price 9 months. I jumped to Vodafone siro for 55 including phone with faster speeds that I'm not all that bothered about. Virgin don't seem to understand how far outside current pricing they are. I only got the offer when I said I had signed for VF. "Oh you have 2 weeks cooling off period so here is our offer". Too late for me.

I've checked out some of the other broadband providers, Vodafone offer €40 for 12 months but I can only get up to 80Mb after entering my eircode.

Eir's offerings for my location are awful, as soon as I enter in the eircode, the 500/1Gb packages for €34.99/€44.99 which seem good value disappear and I'm only left with available crap offer of 100Mb service for €65.99 per month, this is a joke!

Sky just says after entering the eircode - 'we are unable to proceed... please call our agents on this number...'

hmm I'm surprised the speeds offered by eir and vodafone are so poor for an area in Dublin south central, I'd have though this would be one of the better areas in Ireland to get decent broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Just to note Eir's offer is Fiber to the Cabinet not to the home. also am I the only one who's account number and mobile number aren't accepted by their automated phone system?

I'm having to rely on messaging them on Twitter.

hmm, haven't received a call yet, and no acknowledgement of online cancellation either so guess I'll have to call them and say I'm calling to confirm cancellation and hope they offer me some sort of reduced prices instead of just telling me to fcuk off....

Well I was on the phone earlier today, just took the 9 months half-price deal (€35 p/month) and upgraded to 500Mb. There doesn't seem to be high speed fibre for my address, so the max speed from any of the other providers can't exceed 100Mb currently. Price for the full year is over €300 below what I was paying up till now at least.

• Advertisement

Advertisement