Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Contract ended today 3rd August...but agent said she couldn't sign up.

I'm not that bothered anyway as I'll try out Pure or Digiweb for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

Sorry if I missed it in your previous post but was your wife using your surname or her surname before marriage? If it is the former then perhaps she could try again using her non married name.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Never even asked her name. Just asked who we were with,she said Eir...but that I no longer lived there and she wanted broadband in her name. He said she wouldn't be classified as a new customer as the account is attached to the house not the person. From a sales perspective,I find it very strange that they're willing to turn away subscriptions....surely it's better to hold onto business rather than let it go. Anyway,this differentiation between new& current customers should be illegal. Same with banks,energy providers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm on siro with Digiweb. It's not enforced. I queried their FUP terms with them before joining in 2019 but they basically said it's there just in case someone takes the absolute **** running a home datacenter and is using massive amounts of data.

Currently on a reduced rate of €45 per month for gigabit until my contract is up January.

Surprised by how many people in this thread are with/signing up with Eircom. If I had no other Internet options I'd settle for communicating with people via carrier pigeon before giving those clowns another cent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Currently with Virgin Media, now have the option for 500MB fibre from either Eir or Sky. I assume the service is the same. Sky have €30 per month for 12 months or €35 per month for 24 months, is it normally possible to extend these offers or do you have to switch to someone else at the end of the term to get another "New customer" offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

I'd say it's because some people have never had issues with eir. I've never had any issues with eir, but massive issues with Vodafone before. People go based on their own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

ring using a different name either a maiden name or irish spelling and if asked about current provider say you don't have one

or join online

moving a contact to the same company as a new customer is not as easy bu it can be done if it is less complicated by saying you are with them and moving out etc

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭doc22

If you were a eir landline customer would you be treated as new for broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Does Eir have a complaints/customer service email? I've had a look through their website, but can't see anything. Perhaps it's hidden away or am I stuck messaging their support on Twitter or Facebook?

I hate talking on the phone so much prefer written communication. 

Also, if I don't get anywhere with them. I presume Sky are the next best offer for speeds above 100 Mb per second. If I get nowhere with Eir and decide to cancel within the 14-day cooling off period? 

I thought perhaps I could live 100, or slightly less, but it turns out you need a really fast Internet connection to stream Blu-ray quality movies from the service. I like to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Customer service is handled by Joe in the afternoon on RTE radio one. Good afternoon to youuuu!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I ordered Sky 500mbps €30 per month for 12 months. Awaiting router and activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I'm switching between Voda and Eir every year(almost). Voda modem kept freezing or loosing VDSL connection on daily basis. I've put timer plug to disconnect it from power for 2-3 minutes every evening. When switched to Eir, never any issue. Modem uptime in months.

Contract up next month so called 1901 to loyality department ant told them I'm leaving as don't wanna pay 65+ euros. Was given 44euro option which was changed to 40 when I mentioned Voda was cheaper.

So without changing to new provider or changing person on contract I got IMHO good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

40€ a month is average going price. Its not the best deal out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Works for me best. I don't need to fastest broadband there, just enough to let me work from home.

Virgin media socket is places that way that my neighbor will have better coverage than I could (tested couple years ago).

Other providers would use Eir lines anyhow. Five euros more or less doesn't make much difference on top or just ease to know that it will work without any interruptions as I don't want to travel to the office in a middle of the night :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Im looking at digi web 1000mbps siro broadband for €40 per month. I'm currently with Virgin 500mbps at the moment I can only presume digi will be a step up going with the extra speed. Has anybody any experience with digi never been with them before and don't know anybody who has....

Personally I feel 1000mbps is overkill for most people unless you are downloading massive files often I very much doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between 500 and 1000, plus few if any web servers will give download bandwidth that a 1Gbps connection will give you. Perhaps it would be beneficial if you lived in a large houseshare with lot's of people wanting to use the internet at the same time.

At least that's my experience from having it previously.

But at the end of the day it's your choice it's only an extra €10 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

I've switched from Vodafone to Eir, (active from 15th August) Never had issues with Vodafone but Eir offers 500Mb & with big switch = €35 pm.

Also ordered their SIM @ €9.99 pm. Cell reception is poor where I live. Unimpressed using a dual sim with 48 & Vodafone, as Eir operate their own system I'm hoping for a stronger signal. This is on a 14 day free test which can be cancelled with a phone call I'm told.

Any similar experience out their?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I went with the eir 1 year deal for €35/month with €100 off. Seems the best deal anyway, will reasses in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I've just fine for same ndg mobiles for €10 extra per mobile for all calls and data

I ended up canceling my subscription with Eir because they wanted to charge me €100 to install a fiber line. Alternatively, I could have signed a 24-month contract with them, in which case they would waive the installation fee and charge me €35 per month. However, I chose not to proceed with either of these options. Instead, I decided to sign up with Sky. They have assured me that they will be installing a line next Thursday. Based on my recent experience, I will be avoiding both Eir and Vodafone in the future.

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but the layout of my place is quite unusual. My bedroom is located at the front of my flat, making it necessary for any broadband socket to be installed in my bedroom. If I want the router in my hall, I'll have to run a cable myself. Is there a place where I can purchase a set length of CAT5 cable without the connectors pre-attached? So far, all I've come across are drums of cable, which provide much more than the length I actually need (around 5 meters or slightly longer).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Trebhygt

Why do you not keep switching providers...get best prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you have a local phone or pc repair shop theyll have spools of cat5/6/whatever you usually can ask them to cut you off the distance you need, no idea of the price.

Setup fees are always a big negative to any consumer, most companies noticed that decades ago.

100 euro once, or 35 euro every month for years - I wonder which makes eir more money? For a company that ruled our country for decades with their "cash cow" local exchange monopoly, surprising. It mustve been lost in all the CEO switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

we're with imagine, and now fibre is in our area. Imagine changed the T&C's and I can exit. I rang them today and they offered me €30 a month for 18 months. we've had no issue with them, would it be worth switching to the 500mb sky for the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was into work today. With them since we moved in 5 years ago and ring every time to get a deal

Was paying 45 for 500mbps, telephone and 2 mobiles.

Offered me 80 e as a deal.having laughed at the so called deal they spoke to a "senior manager" must have spoken very fast to offer me it for 65.

I then said I could move to sky and save . Dangled another mobile account and got BB, phone and 3 mobiles SIM only for 65.

When I hesitated, he also gave me 50e credit. Reducing it to 61e a month.

I couldn't have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

Was that with eir? Seems like it's their standard new customer pricing which is good going for existing customer. For new customers through OBS it would be 65 per month and 100 off first bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yes sorry, just noticed the auto correct in the first line. It was Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hi I’m going to do this as our our current contract is expired from tomorrow and I’ve already gave them the 30 days notice, question can I sign up in the Mrs name now or wait until after tomorrow ? Thanks

Advertisement