Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

This gets better, Rang VF to tell them I was leaving so she says "somebody will contact you to discuss". Some guy rang 2 days later, I wasnt home, wife gave them my mobile number, they never rang, nor did they ring the home phone again, next day I get a text message that they had "tried to contact me on 3 occasions" and could I call them on a number which when I rang was "no longer in service !!!, absolutely pathetic from a company the size of VF. I have no missed calls on my mobile or landline.........pure l ies on Vodafones part. Today the Siro crew came and ran the new fibre cable to the house, install happening on Monday.....that is proper service.......Vodafone........never again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

that's poor service but like with any big company when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong

siro is a nice bonus

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

I'm with eir,contract up 3rd August. Do I still have to give 30 days notice or can the missus sign up again with eir on 4th August?

you might have a small overlap of a bill but if the contract is up just change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Might be an odd question but does anyone know if sky use the same lines as virgin? i.e., all you have to do is swap out the modem.

We wanted to switch to another provider last year but they said they'd have to drill holes and our landlord refused permission to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Did you have any problems with eir ?

Also has anyone had a SIM card from eir ?

They are offering the SIM card package for €9.99 a month if you have broadband from them ,,seems a great deal but l'm wondering whats the coverage like do they drop calls .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Trust pilot reviews of eir are putting me off joining them .

just bear in mind trust pilot is a place for people to vent, people rarely go on that site to leave a positive review

I was with eir for 12 months without an issue, I haven’t used their sim but I’m on gomo since launch which is eir really and never had a problem either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

Sky here use the same line that Vodafone and Eir use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks, that's the problem for me, we're stuck with Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

You could always have Eir run the cables right next to the ones from Virgin that way it won't be as noticeable. I've never told my landlords about getting lines installed and so far have had no issue. If I was in your position I'd not bother asking for permission and just do it.

There is also another option of getting a 4g or even 5g modem and sticking a 3 pay as you go SIM in it for €20 per month. Alternatively they also do a home internet plan where they will install an outside antenna but that's of course more expensive and requires a contract.

Post edited by Antipathetic on

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

No problems at all. Been with them a few times,I normally just switch between them and Vodafone every year but that Eir deal with One Big Switch seems to be best value currently .

I'm also with Gomo,coverage can be a bit crap especially in more remote areas of Ireland but I'm rarely in those places so overall,for €9.99 a month it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Apologies for my ignorance, currently with Virgin but going to move back to Sky. Is the broadband comparable?, both 500mb deals. We are quite heavy users working from home and 3 kids requirements!! I had Sky BB years ago and it was never as good as Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I know I gave my tuppence worth already in this thread but Eir aren't a bargain, even at the price-point listed here.

I've had numerous issues with them.

After reading some of the replies in this thread last week, I stupidly mellowed my opinion of them, and signed up via a different offer to this one. Via a an Eir employee that called to the door.

Mother of God, within 24 hours of signing up, it was the same bullshit that I put up with a few years back so I cancelled yesterday. Issues with everything from install fees to other costs, to blatantly told lies at the doorstep. They were as unhelpful as a few years ago when trying to sort it out.

Eir, as a company, are the f*ckin' pits. I honestly didn't actually think it was possible to dislike a company as much as I dislike Eir. I'd gladly pay one of the other providers an extra €5 per month, or more.

Another thing to consider here too. The €35 jumps to €70ish after the 12 months are up. I see Vodafone are offering €40 flat fee with no increase after the 12 months now too. No messing about with ringing around to save a €5er a month. That to me is a better bargain than dealing with Eir. Sky are doing €35 per month too via Bonkers.

I'm sure OmegaGene will be on to defend them again soon but hopefully the above stops at least one person from signing up to them.

If you're in doubt, give "Conor Pope & Eir" a Google search.

I am not going to defend anyone only my wallet and hopefully help others save money whoever they choose to deal with, I’m a Vodafone customer paying €35 a month for the year with €99 credit and then I will move again to whoever is the cheapest

one thing I would never do is sign up with a cold caller at the door who’s going to say anything to get people signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur, never trust any doorsteppers.

What's the story with VF same price announcement? Sounds like you still have to recontract which means ring up like now? Except now you can't look for new customer price

Anyone can find poor reviews of any company and not everyone’s experience will be the same

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My Vodafone bb is going to be out of contract in 5 weeks. Intend on contacting them next week giving them the months notice to end. I don't want to get caught with a high out of contract bill. Iseminder on my phone each year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

An example of how bad Eir are. Few years ago I ended the contract and I was asked to return the router. I immediately returned it but they still billed me for the router. Eir are unbelievable bad I've lots stories about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaymDublin

Planning to move to Sky from Eir, how reliable is their 500mbs service? Does sky have similar CPI annual price increase policy like Eir and Vodafone, I don't see any info in their site? I am planning to go for 24 month contract if the price is going to be the same 35 euro without any increase for 24 months.

Eir 34.99 for 12 months and will have annual price increase 8% (based on 2023) on full price 75.99 calculates to 6.07 increase. Vodafone 40 for 12 months and will have annual price increase of 11.2% on full price which is 40 (if it stays the same) which will be 4.48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭shalom

Hi, I am currently with Sky 1 gb for €40 a month and never had any issues. The year before that I was with Pure 500mb for €40 and I never had any problem with them. I am now thinking of moving to Virgin 2gb for €64 a month. Has anyone any experience of this and how are virgin in general? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Excuse my query but why bother with 2Gb? Surely 500 is enough for any household?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Has anyone gone with Digiweb or feedback on them. Seems they are on the eir Cables also, always thought they were satellite only! Sky wont come down under 40/PM and dont want to go back to eir! Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I've been with Eir fibre for nearly 2 years great service and never had any issue, will have to move to one of the other providers and not sure which, wasn't there some issue with over selling by Vodafone and issue on their back haul causing slowdown during peak times or have they resolved that bottleneck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got a Vodafone bill of €58 this month the other day!!!

Forgot my contract expired last month!

Been paying €40 a month for a year

I see now it's time to switch, I see pure telecom and sky are doing €30 a month for broadband.

Speeds are only like 30mbps which seems to be the best available.

Never switched before, I work from home so does anyone know if there is any down time when switching ?

Who's hardware/customer service would be better? Sky or pure telecom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you currently have fibre to the home then there should be no down time with moving to either. If both are offering 500mb for €30pm then I would go with pure telecom but sky is a very close 2nd. I've had no issues when with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Funky_Corsa

Don't go near them. Constant outages and they only seem to work office hours. Any issues on a Saturday evening, and you'll need to wait until Monday to talk to them. Some outages are 24 hours or more.

Used to be a good company, but gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Eir router I had 2 years ago had poor range.

Went with Vodafone and router was way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭shalom

I guess it is, but why not if it is available? Otherwise, I don't buy much for myself or spend excessively on 'stuff' and I like good broadband. I use the internet a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’ve moved from virgin to Vodafone Siro yesterday. VF now active on my line. Virgin wouldn’t bring down their price for 360mb from 71.50 per month. So I cancelled and during that process they offered half price for 9 months plus upgrade to 500mb.

VF is 50 per month for 1gb plus 5 for phone line. We are mostly wireless so the speed is not all that important for me. We won’t reach the headline speed on wireless. It’s price.

Both are subject to usual price increases.

I was with virgin well over 10 plus years and can’t complain one iota about the service but they just are too expensive. I tried bargaining months before pulling the trigger but they have no record of this and don’t seem to understand how far outside the competition in pricing they are.

Next up for the chop is sky tv. 46 a month is too much for what we view. Cutting the cord is the plan.

Advertisement