Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Summer2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Another ugly looking ECM 2nite - beginning to loose hope on any beach weather returning prior to the end of next month:(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

This morning's GFS = summer's over; if you want to be lying on a sunny beach I'd get onto the Ryanair site asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the GFS is not over doing it, some very low temperatures for the time of year in early August as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

August is not looking good it has to be said, the first half is likely to be a continuation of the current setup just that there will be less daylight and maybe even lower temperatures. I'm beginning to have my doubts about an improving second half but there is still a small sliver of hope I suppose but it is starting to look like the incredibly unsettled and generally cool setup may end up taking up two thirds of the entire summer. IF that happens eastern areas would have only had 2 weeks of summer which is not good at all, even for Ireland. I still maintain the back to school week should offer some sort of an improvement but summer is technically over by then.

Summer is technically 1st of June to August 31, but for many people summer for them is really July and August when the kids are off from school and I really feel sorry for them this year.

The unsettled muck just goes on and on, staying wet throughout especially during the weekends with multiple washouts to come. the Azores high looks almost displaced staying well out into the mid Atlantic and more towards the american side keeping summer far away from Irish shores.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm supposed to be going on a road trip around Wales and England from Sunday 30th through to Monday 8th. Tempted to cancel the whole thing based on these GFS charts - although the GFS always overdoes rain, it looks absolutely dismal for early August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately the GFS has not overdone things this summer. Most of their unsettled output since mid June has played out perfectly well and they nailed the continuous run of washout weekends as well. The current GFS runs are not really over the top, just more of the same, a continuation of this abysmal north atlantic washing machine pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They can probably expect bad storms over europe next week with that cold air from the north digging into the heat further south

The predicted rise in AAM may not force a pattern change as was expected because it falls off quickly. Although some of these teleconnections might be overrated or just given too much importance, when it is a combination of factors that determine any given weather pattern. I think the Atlantic will run out of steam at some stage, it maybe later than mid August, unfortunately, going off the latest runs. It could well be the usual scenario of Late August into September. If that's the case this Autumn could well rival the wet summers of 1985 and 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I fully give up with "summer" 2023. Some very poor runs showing and they far outweigh any drier, possibly warmer solutions. Throwing in the towel. Can we at least get a nice back to school week that others have been saying? Deserved after last year's terrible one in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

85/86 seemed wetter to me. I’m from a farm and growing up I remember helping my dad shake hay with a pitchfork one of those years because the meadows were so wet in spots you couldn’t get a tractor in without ploughing the place, and the tractors back then were small compared to now. Mind you June saved a lot of farmers bacon this year.

• Advertisement

Thoughts on the first half of August settling down are starting to become more unbelievable with each passing day, if the weather does settle down it may only be for isolated days like today with any ridging quickly flattened off by the Atlantic. The current unsettled and cool pattern looks like persisting into the middle of August. Turns very unsettled to start the working week next week, then maybe a few less rainy days following before we go into another very unsettled spell for the following weekend. Temperatures look low over the first 10 days of August with temperatures no better than low to mid teens on wet days and mid to maybe high teens on the dryer days if the sun actually comes out.

If you want warm and settled weather this August the best place to find it is by booking a flight to the Mediterranean because you won't find it in this part of Europe any time soon.

The GFS 12z is slightly more settled than recent GFS charts but for every GFS run that tries to settle things down even for a day or 2, it is quickly followed by several GFS run showing nothing but dartboard lows and chilly north-westerlies.

Not as overly wet as July on this particular run but there will still be rain or showers most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

July in Sligo has had 168mm of rain but unbelievably wev had a few decent days. Thought his Summer may finish as one of the wettest ever I don't think it will rival 85 and 86 for continuous rain but will be clear number 1 for wet weekends. Even June had a couple.

As for August charts ? By the end of August there will have been landslides and widespread flooding by the looks of things. Could still be fair for August 6th but it's less than 50/50 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There is a geographic divide this summer we normally don't see. Charts above still showing Munster 3 degrees warmer than everywhere else. You don't normally get that. It is leading to the wildly differing views on here of this summer. Its certainly not a good summer down here, but it's not bad, seen far worse. Get the impression outside of Munster that's not the view.

Well until now I'd seen far worse in Sligo but next 6 weeks may change that view.

Definitely have seen much much duller July's than this one. In the NW we had one July where there was only a few hours sun as well as misty drizzle for weeks on end. This year we have lots of rain but sunshine and even some fairly sunny days.

August charts continue to show flat out blast of low pressures over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

OK, that's not dissimilar to us so

Cold spell next week is looking fairly significant at this stage for early August where temperatures of 1 to 4c below average can be expected, this coupled with lots of cloud and rain could make things feel very autumnal, more like mid to late October rather than the 1st week in August. However if we can get some sunshine then it shouldn't feel too bad as the sun is still strong enough to make these chilly upper air temperatures less noticeable, but get under a band of rain and cloud and you will feel the chill.

Monday looks like the only day that will be average in terms of temperatures with all other days below average. The first 10 days or so of August are looking particularly chilly so we certainly won't be chasing any warm temperature records.

Not as overly wet as July on this particular run but most places should still see showers or rain most it not every day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM has been showing a deepening Lp system developing fairly rapidly along a fast powerful Jet with a fairly steep temperature gradient around next weekend ( Saturday into Sunday atm ) for a few runs now over the last couple of days. A kind of system and set up you would more likely see late Autumn or Winter. Possibly quite wet also. Hasn't deviated too much with track. Tonight's run showing a system deepen close to and moving over Ireland with strong winds.

GEM and GFS also showing a Lp system but not as strong as the ECM.

Something to keep an eye on. Might move harmlessly to our North or perhaps we could experience something unseasonably strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Throughout July there has been quite a bit of inland convection, so coastal areas facing the prevailing wind will have seen rain bands dump their water but as they pushed inland and over to the east they tended to intensify owing to embedded convection. Added to that, cooler uppers encouraged convective cloud with mixed stratus to develop inland. A feature of July has been coolish but humid weather for inland and eastern regions, whereas coastal western areas have had the sun come out after the rain bands cleared. There was only one day I recall this month that this pattern reversed, and it hit 23c in the southeast - yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Next Friday a low approaching

Saturday

Sunday it’s spot the difference.

Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Very wet for the north and western coastal counties. Over 200mm in parts of Donegal and a small part of Galway/mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Won't happen. Was supposed to be 30mm today in Sligo only 4mm. The 200mm won't materialise. Wind and showers will though. Prob 25 to 50mm tops.

There won't be good news on this thread till mid to late August at the earliest, this is the grimmest a summer can ever be. Summer has been dire for the most part but I still believe the worst is still to come before we start to see a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

It has been a fairly woeful summer for east coast dwellers, and the population distribution of Ireland means a fair whack of the citizens have endured very poor summer weather. Alot of the eastern coastal areas missed much of the June mini-heatwave whereas areas who enjoyed it have something of a memory that it started well and died off thereafter. East coast citizens will remember a fairly cool and cloudy June only to be replaced by a very wet and cloudy July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Read MT's forecast this morning and you might see a bit of good news on the horizon

That's interesting. I was not aware of that. The last two days have not been that bad , as there has been lengthy dry periods between the heavy showers.

There are tentative signs on some of the models that we may finally get more settled weather around Mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes as regards July/early August its about as bad as it gets! Very disappointing and let's face it Summer as such is over by mid August. Kids are ready for school at that stage and the Summer buzz is dwindling. In our history we've had plenty of washout July's but in recent times less so..

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

This thread makes for a horror show….Never seen a summer like this in a decade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Can testify to that. Spud plants in the garden riddled with blight due to wet heavy weather. Had to cut all stalks yesterday. First time it's ever happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I had to cut all the stalks on my potato patch at my last house in North Kildare due to blight. I think it might have been 2012 but not 100% of that. It may have been the year previous.

Charts wise, whilst the GFS signs of improvement in the medium term, the ECM doesn't seem to be onboard at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement