Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There is an annual St Stephens day 5k and 10k in Coothall (50 min drive). I've done it that last 2 years and might do it again this year.

I also have 2 other 10ks in December, Belleek (Mayo) 3rd and a Rudolf run somewhere in Tyrone on the10th.

I'm also going to be doing a HM in Omagh on the 7th of April and then the marathon in Limirick in May.

I'll also probably sign up to the Bundoran 10 miler in February, and the Tony McGowan HM/10k in March when they go on sale. I've ran at them for the past 2 years and they get good participation.

I've also been trying to lose a bit of weight because my weight had crept up to 101kg when I was weighed at the hospital last Tuesday (I made sure my pockets were empty and took my top off and just wore t-shirt and jeans).

I've been doing fast 5k walks at lunchtime wearing a sweater and coat, and then running in the evening wearing my running gear, a poncho and a running jacket over that (sauna weight loss 🤣). I weighed myself after my HM run today and am now down to 96.9kgs. I'd love to get to under 90kgs but the end of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The new Graduates thread is now open for any former novices looking to continue on their running journey:

Come and join in and together we'll plot a course to countless PB's!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Hi all, I’m going to be doing the Dublin marathon this year as my first one.

I’ll follow the boards plan when the 2024 novices thread is up, but just wondering, between now and June, is it best to just keep building up the distance each week? i was thinking of entering a half marathon in June (I’ve done half’s before), would this impact on the marathon training since the distance in the plans on the mentor thread aren’t at that point by then

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Hi SimpleDimple,

It's not going to do you any harm at all. Working on your base over the start of the year is perfect to get you in good shape for the Novices plan. I did the same myself. Ease yourself into it and don't increase the mileage too quickly. If you check out the Graduates thread, linked above by Mr. Guappa, there is a link to a set of training plans and there is a half plan in there if you are searching around for one.

Based on how you go and your weekly mileage, at that point, then you can adjust the first few weeks of the Novices plan, it won't be an issue in all honesty, plenty of people come into the Novices thread at different levels of training.

Best of luck with the half.

• Advertisement

That’s great, thanks for the reassurance. I was worried that by ramping up for a half in June I’d be getting ahead of myself, but it’s good to know that it’ll (hopefully) stand to me in the grand scheme if things

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

It sure will, the more consistently you are running prior to starting the marathon plan then the better everything will go for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi SimpleDimple, it's good that you have a half marathon planned for June. Depending on how much you've been running in the past year, it gives you plenty of time from now to build up a base, consistency and learning what works for you running wise. Have you raced much in the past? Can you pencil in a 10km sometime in the late Spring to get a gauge on your pacing, and even just on the nuts and bolts of taking part in a race?

Thanks for the input! Yep I’ve done a few races in the past, anything from park runs up to half marathons.

The first time I did a half I got caught up in the buzz of the day, horsed out for the first 4km because I was feeling nice and strong, and then limped home for the last 4k or so, not making that mistake again!

I’ll take a look at the calendar and see what else is between now and June, thanks for the advice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just unsticking this to make space for the upcoming 2024 novices thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement