Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,091 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is a significant point you make.
    All the Unionists/partitionist on this site want to talk about is their own victimhood and what offends them.
    it is as if they still think they have some suprematist veto.
    If they wish to discuss the subjects of commemoration and symbols it is going to be on an equal basis.
    If a flag or commemoration offends you then you are going to have to take on board the offence your flag or commemoration may cause etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭downcow

interesting. When they come under pressure, they go to the default position. A bit of a journey yet to create a secular society.
    https://x.com/lionchief101/status/1784575659315999208?s=46

So to have a constitutionally secular country you think that requires people not to pray or give up whatever faith they believe in?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

How else does a person resist the worst aspects of globalism though?

A national culture and religious motivation at least puts a person on a solid footing against the venal, hollow people who would treat every country as nothing more than a labour market.

Whatever the problems we have on this island with Catholic tribalism and other historical baggage it is still better than being totally culture-less and naked before the storm.

Note also I've never said Unionists should give up their culture, whether they become part of a UI or not.

well, not your finest attempt at learning. I demonstrated beyond doubt that Patrician yc operated in two youth centres in Downpatrick one of which has a hunger strike memorial located opposite the front door.
    Not your finest moment choochtown, but as you say, let’s not dwell on that.

I Want to take the rest of your post seriously and make a serious attempt at an honest answer.
    My reference to those flags was simply a challenge to those who were trying to claim that Castlewellan youth club and the GAA were inclusive organisations. I was trying to bring people closer to reality.

If someone came on here and claimed that a youth club, set in a cul-de-sac in Clough surrounded by union flags with an orange Hall opposite, the local DUP office next door, and the loyalist band hall a few yards down the road, was an inclusive cross community youth club, then I would tell them to wise up.

You ask for my impression off the atmosphere in Clough. To some extent they are a mirror image of each other, but then to another extent they are very different. Most (in fact all but one) of the businesses in Clough are Catholic/nationalist owned. They do not need bulletproof glass and they do not get faeces pushed through their letterboxes. The local unionist community deal in these businesses.

I Want to be completely honest and therefore I need to declare that I am aware of one nationalist family feeling intimidated and leaving Clough. They left the day after the IRA came in and murdered a Protestant in his bed. Maybe the unionist Community could have done more to put their arms around this Catholic family who were feeling under pressure and, to the best of my knowledge were completely innocent, but there was a fierce feeling of anger and grief circulating. Our community should not have allowed that Catholic family leave. I am confident that they are the only family that felt the need to leave Clough – compare that to the hundreds who left Castlewellan. (FYI for Southern posters, this was the murder that led to the retaliatory murder of Patrick kieltys father)

As for the sash on the farmer sculpture. Maybe it highlights hypocrisy or lack of consistency in me, but again I am going to be honest. I enjoyed it and it made me smile every time I went through Clough - it was so asking to be done, and was just for the 12th period and was removed afterwards. I don’t think it was a very serious issue. I was somewhere recently where public statues were wearing GAA jerseys following a local win - again I just smiled. So I do support the putting of a sash on that statue for the 12th. I think you need to lighten up.

You say “….realise that the striking scene that everyone who drives through that town is exposed to is the work of a few insecure, cowardly idiots (a 100 foot pole!! 🤣) and I have a little chuckle.”.
    that is really very sad. These flags go up over the 12th period As an expression of our culture and identity. Your reference to a few insecure cowardly idiots, says more about you than the community who are celebrating. My understanding is that a decision was taken in Clough a few years ago to not have flags flying all year round and to remove all but one union flag at each entrance to the village.
    To be honest, if the people of Castlewellan had behaved like the people of Clough, Then Castlewellan would still contain many unionist businesses and unionist families.

As for the St George’s Cross flying on the pub in Downpatrick. It’s not rocket science. They fly the English Welsh and Scottish flags during the six Nations. Interestingly in this almost exclusively nationalist town I believe they do not fly the tricolour but fly the four provinces flag for the island rugby team. Fair play to them for understanding the community they live in - Pity those in one-horse Castlewellan weren’t as educated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Choochtown

So if I am to believe that you know all of the political views of all of the business owners in Clough, what you're saying here is that Unionists are intimidated by tricolours and Nationalists (except for 1 family) were/are not intimidated by what's displayed in Clough??

(By the way who made the decision to fly 1 flag at each end of Clough? I'll know you're bullshitting if you even pretend here that that decision has ever been adhered to)

I consider the flag flying on lamp posts in NI very much as I consider dogs marking their territory with their piss and YES I'm referring here to both sides)

What does my chuckle at the Union Jack on a 100 foot pole say about me? You didn't elaborate.

1 final question. You say you smiled at the vandalism of the statue to mark the 12th. Would it have raised a smile with you if it was painted in rainbow colours to mark gay pride week?

the only reason I get dragged into correcting your nonsense is that I realise decent Irish people in the south are reading this forum and potentially believing your propaganda and spin. So I’ll take your points one at a time.

1) you are spinning that I am suggesting that unionists left Castlewellan because of flags. Absolute nonsense. I gave you a catalogue of reasons they left and I am fairly sure I never mentioned flags. Certainly flags are like Irish language street signs and they can be used to genuinely celebrate a culture or they can be used to show who is in control, and both are used for either one or other of these purposes depending on who erects them.

2) You imply that people don’t know, in small rural villages, the community background of businesses. I will absolutely stand over, and evidence if necessary, that there are only four significant businesses in ‘loyalist’ Clough and that three of them are owned and run by nationalists, and fully supported by the local unionist community.

3) You say I am talking nonsense about flags and an agreement of one union flag at each entrance to the village. Thankfully Google Street will evidence this for anyone who wants to look. The Google car mapped most of the village at the height of the 12th celebrations, which can’t be evidenced by the arch and a union flag on every post. But if you take a look at the break in the Google street route you will see Castlewellan Road has been filmed not in the summer marching season, evidenced by the election posters on the lamp posts. It is very clear to see on the whole road only one union flag at the entrance to the village. Seems I am being honest and accurate again. So no bullshitting from me.

4) As for the tall flagpole. This flagpole is on private property and the owner has every right to put it up. I am not sure why it hurts your eyes to see a union flag in a village that is overwhelmingly unionist. I think you’ll find it’s not the tallest flagpole in Ireland, I think that one is in your country and has a tricolour on top of it. Maybe you should campaign to get it taken down in case it offends me the next time I am on holidays.

5) Absolutely, I would smile if the statue was wearing a pride flag. I know it would wind up many dinosaurs in both communities, but I am sure most people would smile if it was up on gay pride day. You need to lighten up and get a sense of humour. Everybody I spoke to nationalist and unionist had a laugh about the statue wearing a sash.

The truth always comes through in the end!

That is no different to the photos you showed of Castlewellan. One flag on a lampost and then a line of flags which was probably St. Patrick's day. They are certainly not there all the time.

As usual you like to present a certain picture of Unionist cultural expression as a 'laugh' or a benign expression that nobody could possibly be offended by.
    That is called exceptionalism.

This is also from lovely Clough in 2023. Children targeted again simply because they want to learn Irish.

absolute spin. I am the one who has, all along, equated and been open about the fact that flags and Irish signage are used in negative ways in both communities, it is even in the very post you are responding to.

I have absolutely no issue with tricolours in Castlewellan. I was depicting the flags because you and others were trying to pretend that there was no such thing as a youth club that unionists would feel unable to attend. I even give the example a few posts ago, that if the same situation existed in Clough, then I would not expect to find a nationalist in the youth club.

The largest tricolour around Castlewellan is reserved for the end of the most unionist road. Even though it is still 80% nationalist, it is the road with the most unionists in the area, hence the big flag and hence the focus was to get Irish road signs on it before any of the Republican roads. TBH I think at least there is a level of honesty, and that every time we see it we are reminded of the desire, by some, to get the last of us out

As for the handwritten poster you show in Clough, No one can control an individual painting a poster and putting it near a school at night. The community got the sign removed immediately.

It was not me who raised Clough as a comparison to Castlewellan - but if I am honest, I am glad he did because it demonstrates very clearly the differences in intimidation levels in the two communities. Nationalists live, work, thrive, and own 75% big businesses in this ‘loyalist village’. By comparison, unionists do not live, work or thrive, and own less than 5% off the businesses in neighbouring Republican Castlewellan.

Look, it was YOU who called a youth club a 'Nationalist Youth Club'. Not me or Chooch or anyone else.

You have lied about the 'Unionist flight from Castlewellan' because that is your thing, Unionist victimhood. 14% and 29% across all wards in Castlewellan identify as British and NI.

Nationalists do something, it's sinister and intimidation, if Unionists do it, it's a laugh and why would anyone be offended, 'I know Nationalists who laugh with me'.
    Classic exceptionalism.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you learn more, not from the questions answered by someone, but from what they choose not to answer.

I'll ask again: Who made the decision over which flags to fly and when to fly them?

You didn't provide a link for your Google maps thing (just a picture of the road outside Clough leading to Castlewellan) so I'll provide one for the "decent Irish people in the south reading this forum". I think you referred to this as  "an expression of our culture and identity"

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.2916751,-5.8375047,3a,75y,333.82h,104.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF7-NN_o-AfPNl9BMWwnlXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

"I will absolutely stand over, and evidence if necessary, that there are only four significant businesses in ‘loyalist’ Clough and that three of them are owned and run by nationalists, and fully supported by the local unionist community."

It's 2024. At best this is abnormal.

How he knows they are ‘nationalists’ is obviously worked out the same way as he works out that children attending a Youth Clubs are nationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Francis McM

As Downcow said " it demonstrates very clearly the differences in intimidation levels in the two communities. Nationalists live, work, thrive, and own 75% big businesses in this ‘loyalist village’. By comparison, unionists do not live, work or thrive, and own less than 5% off the businesses in neighbouring Republican Castlewellan."

In villages / small towns that people have been living in / working in for years, people tend to know the background of their neighbours : if there are a total of 4 business owners in the village / small town, yes, people know. People are not stupid.

Here south of the border tallymen in villages often can often predict how the voting will go simple by knowing who voted / who did not vote, who was away on holidays and did not vote etc. Even body language when going canvassing door to door can tell a lot. If people are known fairly well, it is not difficult to make educated guesses, with a fair degree of accuracy, who they will vote for.

Profiling and stereotyping and labelling. All the things that got innocent people killed in the conflict/war.
    Labelling children attending a Youth Club is regressive and sinister. It will never be ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

But francie,you can tell by the way someone walks how they are gonna vote!

People know the background of their friends and neighbours whither you like it or not, in every country in the world. Yes tallymen do profile people, and I have seen the people here who go door to door canvassing for the main political parties here put a tick in their notebook after visiting different houses in a village / small community.

You are a great one to accuse others of "All the things that got innocent people killed in the conflict/war.", when you label for example the security forces as "sectarian" and when you refuse to condemn the murderers of the same security forces.

You have condemned the security forces in N.I. and painted them in a far worse light that the Republican paramilitaries. You refuse to acknowledge the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of security force people who served in N.I. during the troubles never killed anyone or colluded, or the death toll would have been much higher.

I think you might be losing the plot. The Google link you posted takes you exactly to the photo I posted. As I have said I will only be posting truth. Now I would encourage any southerners who are confused by chooch post, to simply use his link spin around on the street head the other direction and turn right and you will see Google Maps from a period outside the festive time. You will note that it is one flag on entry to the village and nothing else.
    I am not sure where you got the old historic photo of the Clough arch, but the one in your Google link is up to date – surely you couldn’t be trying to mislead readers again?

You know how children are going to vote?

Listen to yourself.

The security forces are condemned for what they did. What it is known they did.
    You and downcow are engaged in guessing what people might do, children included and labelling them. Own it

• Advertisement

I never mentioned anything about children voting.

As regards the security forces, you have hundreds if not thousands of posts tarring all of the security forces with the one brush. Listen to yourself. Given there were hundreds of thousands who served in the security forces in N.I., you tarred them all with the same brush. Like Michelle O'Neill, you think there was "no alternative" to murdering them. You and other extremist Republicans labelling others as you did resulted in many innocent people getting murdered. Own it.

So you don’t defend downcow’s labelling.

That is something.

*Nobody has tarred all the security forces.

You might cover your ears to multiple reports on what they were engaged in, and what the British government ignored but they happened.

Who makes the decisions to decide what flags to fly in Clough?

You told us a decision was made.

By who?

" .…any southerners who are confused by chooch post, to simply use his link spin around on the street head the other direction and turn right and …"

And then you WON'T see the UVF flags!!

🤣

I agree with Downcow in 99.99% of what he / she said. Read what I wrote.

"Downcow's point, and it is going back a month or two, was that the Ice skating centre at Dundonald was more inclusive because it attracts people from all areas. It is N. Ireland's only, in fact the island of Ireland's only, public Olympic size ice rink. People and clubs from towns like Downpatrick ( 90% Catholic) have been known to go to it. Contrast that to Casement Park in West Belfast: do unionists really go there? We all know the answer to that. Some pages ago you were able to come up with two Protestants who played GAA for Monaghan. It was found in the media that they both suffered sectarian abuse, as did a Protestant (who had uncles at one stage in the UDR) but who played GAA in Fermanagh.

You said there was no tricolour outside the club in Downpatrick. Downcow proved you wrong, he/ she even posted a picture. Now you ask who had the flag 'flown' there? I would suspect it was locals, same as locals put the flag on front of the GAA club in the photo in post 8469. You blame the British for almost everything, you cannot blame the British for that."

Downcow is not infallible : what he /she meant was from the youth club was from a nationalist area. ( it was set up by the Catholic church, still has catholic clergy as patrins, is in a town that is 90% catholic and votes mostly nationalist (rather than unionist), has a tricolour flying on the road right in front of it, so it is not an un-reasonable thing to say it is from a nationalist area. Out of thousands of posts that Downcow made, if that is all you can find wrong….

YOU FrancieBrady, have said so many things wrong I would be here for hours listing them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

YOU FrancieBrady, have said so many things wrong I would be here for hours listing them all.

Now that you mention getting things wrong; did you ever back up your nonsense about the Irish Army training the IRA in bomb making….or just retract your statement as being nonsense?

It was me that asked "I asked you the question: Can you explain ALL of the reasons the pIRA military knowledge and expertise was far superior to the military knowledge of the loyalist paramilitaries? Was it at least partly because there was (a) greater transfer of knowledge about explosives between Irish army and pIRA than between British army and loyalists (b) more scope for training in certain areas with nod and a wink south of the border - which did happen - than north of the border?"

Incidentally a poster on a different thread ( about ex Irish army people training others abroad ) who also said there were more than a few known instances of Republicans using knowledge gained from the Irish army during the troubles. Given many tens of thousands of people served in the Irish army during that era, it would have been amazing if there the pIRA did not infiltrate it / have sympathisers there.

So are you supporting downcows labelling of children or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-mcdonald-sinn-fein-open-borders-criticism-6366577-Apr2024/

I must say that MLMD's pirouetting on immigration is giving me a great laugh.

Sinn Fein - the Partitionist Party - are opposed to open borders. Given that the only open border we have is with the North and that 90% of immigration is crossing that border, it really is a funny one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

It was me that asked "I asked you the question: Can you explain ALL of the reasons the pIRA military knowledge and expertise was far superior to the military knowledge of the loyalist paramilitaries? Was it at least partly because there was (a) greater transfer of knowledge about explosives between Irish army and pIRA than between British army and loyalists (b) more scope for training in certain areas with nod and a wink south of the border - which did happen - than north of the border?"

Wrong again; you should re-read some of your utter lies before trying to disingenuously copy-paste the same nonsense.

Post #8337 - You didn't ask a question. It was a statement you through out because you were on the back foot. I asked the question as to what this was based on, you then ignored this continuously and attempted to bluster your way around it. Here's your original post (not question)

Some would be of the opinion that one of the reasons the pIRA military knowledge and expertise was far superior to the military knowledge of the loyalist paramilitaries was because there was (a) greater transfer of knowledge about explosives between Irish army and pIRA

Given your fondness for copy paste - here's the summary (again)

Post #8344 -

The arrogance and complete disregard from normal discourse from you is reaching entierly new lows.

You said something about IRA being trained by Irish Army

I asked for proof

You asked me to prove you wrong instead of backing up your statement

Yeah…"You asked the question".

Advertisement