Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Which bit do we not understand?

What is culturally 'distinct' about it?

*I'm from Ulster by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yeah friendly apathy is a great start. I would say most of my community have developed the same friendly apathy to Irish dance, Gaelic games, etc. can we all move apathy to respect and maybe even participation. I think lots of the non conventional cultures are highly respected here and even solid moves to participant. We haven’t yet got there with the ulster-British and traditional Irish cultures

You make the point wonderfully. You don’t know what you don’t know.

Francie I am not playing your game.

but in final summary:

I referred to a club in a staunchly nationalist /republican area as a nationalist club. I was tirelessly accused of labelling every young person associated with that club as ‘nationalist’.

you forgot yourself and soon afterwards referred to a Downshire as a loyalist band, I merely pointed out that , on your own measure, you were referring to the 4yearold members as loyalist. You nearly had kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That much is clear about his intervention and that of many of the good republicans. Not understanding Northern Irish culture appears to be a prerequisite for them.

Surprised that they have managed to move beyond denial of the existence of Northern Irish culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Miniegg

Absolutely, your people make up a British enclave separate from the mainland for hundreds of years. Of course you will have your own traditions/music etc distinct from both Ireland and mainland Britain. I think alot of people down here are curious of other cultures and would be the same way about Ulster unionist culture. Hopefully the curiosity would be mutual

You know what your at.

all the stadiums you’ve mentioned added together got a fraction of what gaa wants for casement.

are you saying that if there was a huge gaa world event to happen in Belfast and the government said it would rebuild Windsor at a cost of £300m to host it and the Ifa would own it going forward and all profits would pour into association football - oh an let’s imagine if Windsor was on the Newtownards road in east Belfast. Of course you would say great idea 🙄

Did Francie Brady not say he is from NI a few posts back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

Firstly I say this as someone who has no problem with what flag we should use after reunification as being up for discussion. I am fine with the current Irish flag personally but I am also fine with whether that should or should not be the flag of Ireland after reunification.

Now having said that the claim that the Irish flag's reputation is in the "gutter" is utterly risible. There are very few things in life that have anything like 100% backing/support so coming up with examples of opposition to pretty much anything even things that are extremely popular such as the Irish flag means nothing. We just had Lá Féile Pádraig and the Irish flag was not only flow and seen in abundance with great enjoyment all over Ireland but in remarkable numbers of countries and parades around different parts of the world, even shock horror omg..... in London......

The streets of London were full of people decked out in green along the parade route© PA Media

I never called any band a loyalist band in that conversation.

I told you and you could not contradict it. that I only referred to bands as 'Loyalist' who called themselves a 'Loyalist Band'. I even showed you their Facebook pages where they called themselves Loyalist Bands. I also NEVER mentioned or labeled children. You stoop to misrepresenting my posts now.

Contrary to your other nonsense about 'not understanding the culture', I do know the difference.

Now any chance you could define this difference in flute bands in the south and flute bands in the north?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He was from Monaghan for years, but not surprised if that has changed.

It isn't all about him, I was referring to a number of posters collectively.

No, from Monagham in Ulster which seems to have been taken over by downcow's famous but undefinable culture.

I could flip it and say what if the gov said they would build a world class stadium in your city, which would be brilliant for all, in which we could host world events, how would you feel?

it just seems when it's anything "irish" there will always be a reason to rail against it.

Well sf felt the need to come out and say they had nothing to do with the flag going on the coffin - not because he killed a Garda but because he stabbed his wife.

I haven’t heard them condemning the placing of a flag on this guys coffin. The extent of his double crossing is even surprising me. SF want the truth, my arse!

It's no surprise at all to see allies of belligerent Unionism here or those who cannot see past a bit of crude applause bait/look over there deflection from a Garda Commissioner under pressure from his own force, having a go at the flag.

Ah ok sorry! Also apologies to Blanch152 you may proceed with your sneering

Fair enough, won't find me defending Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not remotely true for anyone who has ever been to a single St. Patrick's Day parade in the last 30 years; or indeed any single sporting even featuring the national team. It's only in the "gutter" for those who want it to be & are looking to see outrage when (dissident) Republicans use it in the triumphalist way that they are known to be. But broadly & culturally? No, I wouldn't accept that rationale at all.

Not sure I'd be quick to buy into the idea of Northern Ireland, racism free and open to "non conventional" cultures - as much like a lot of European countries it has its struggles with accepting obvious non-traditional ethnicities into its bosom. If anything it has seemed to be lagging being late to experience this inward migration & I've seen enough anecdotal evidence to suggest what little ethnic diversity exists experiences a large amount of hostility without much in the way of central response. The first thing to do is listen to others, not assume it's all fine & dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I believe it is everyone's right to believe anything as long as it is done in a civil way and does no physical harm to anyone....it other words extremism on either side or far right/far left just doesn't get any support from me.

What I would say to Unionists though as an Irishman whose cousins are more than 50% English born....You have far more in common with us than you do with Scotland, Wales and England....and let's face it....we talk about England who hold the power.

If you started up a new Gameshow in the North and sent out a camera onto the streets in any UK city and ask them to name 10 towns in Northern Ireland....how many people do you think would answer?

So I think you are blinded by not wanting to belong to a country whose majority would welcome you and rather you want to hang onto the coat tails of a country that clearly doesn't.

How many times have you heard Jeffery Donaldson/Arlene Foster/etc being interviewed by Sky New/BBC/ITV in the UK about the land/sea border.....or some other crisis and say the words "We want to be treated like any other region in the UK" or "People in the UK need to be concerned that Northern Ireland is not being treated like other parts of the UK".

Well the reason they are not worried is worse....they are disinterested....most will still go to the Lake District, Blackpool, Brighton.....Cornwall on holidays ....but never set foot up there.

So the subtle hint in this long post guys....England doesn't care one jot about you guys whatsoever....you are just a costly nuisance.

You just don't want to see it.

Loads of Irish families have English/Scottish cousins ,uncles, parents etc, and vice versa. People of Irish decent are so intertwined with the fabric of life over there, and because of that are generally understood by a large portion of British people.

Look at music, sport, movies, TV, and business in mainland Britain, people of Irish decent feature prominently and even dominate areas of British life (on the mainland).

Politics is one area on which they don't seem to be as prevalent for whatever reason.

I'd go as far as to say we could be the middle ground in helping people in mainland Britain understand Unionists more.

I realize that will come across as bating, I just mean that due to our prevalence over there they have more exposure to the southern Irish than to Unionists.

All true and you could attribute that to Americans too....thank Barry Fitz for a lot of their perceptions.....

I said that in case anyone could paint me as extremist.

Point is if the Uniosts wanted to jump ship to United Ireland they would cheer/party/not give a s%&$/not even notice

I believe it is everyone's right to believe anything as long as it is done in a civil way and does no physical harm to anyone

Totally agree. And the fact is that there will always be differing narratives on our history. That is also why we have to find a way for everyone to be allowed remember and commemorate what is important to them...with respect.

It is notable that the only people here trying to dictate, how we commemorate and who we commemorate are partitionists and belligerent Unionists who refuse to accept their (and the state they support) significant part in what happened here.

You absolutely won’t find me saying that anywhere on this island is racism free. That would be very naive

Absolutely, agree 100%. I have enjoyed sharing a hotel with the Irish dancing community and I trust there was shared learning.

You are demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of what being in the uk family means.

you seem to think England owns it?

I have just returned from 4 days in Glasgow and I can assure you they know and understand our community that anyone I’ve met in Dublin.

I think that’s what he wanted you to think but if you look he worded it carefully.

• Advertisement

So I 'misunderstand'?

England Population 56,550,138

Scotland Population 5,466,000

The monarchy are E N G L I S H

English people couldn't care a less about Northern Ireland.

I know it hurts to admit it....it should be embarassing....trying to be part of a club who don't want you.

Advertisement