Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Miniegg

Not sure if you are talking about me - but open mindedness and respect going both ways is all that I was banging on about. Once one side does this, it is reciprocated, and human beings can be what they are supposed to be - cooperative.

It seems to be one side (ahem) overwhelmingly goading and attempting to show supremacy over the other that pisses me off (and alot of people down here) no end, given our history.

Unionism is a valid position for many to take in NI, and I have no problem with you guys being who you are regards to music, traditions etc, as long as they are respectful, which is crucial in any peace building (which is why I referenced Pengally). It is not or should not be an inherent or positive part of anyone's culture to not be respectful.

The reason I joined the thread is what I see in the casement park situation as more supremacism in refusing a stadium to "nationalist" followed sports (along with way more examples), especially when nationalists pay a large amount of taxes, and unionist politicians blocked a shared stadium in the first place which would have moved NI on no end.

Not sure if you are talking about me - but open mindedness and respect going both ways is all that I was banging on about. Once one side does this, it is reciprocated, and human beings can be what they are supposed to be - cooperative.

It seems to be one side (ahem) overwhelmingly goading and attempting to show supremacy over the other that pisses me off (and alot of people down here) no end, given our history.

Unionism is a valid position for many to take in NI, and I have no problem with you guys being who you are regards to music, traditions etc, as long as they are respectful, which is crucial in any peace building (which is why I referenced Pengally). It is not or should not be an inherent or positive part of anyone's culture to not be respectful.

The reason I joined the thread is what I see in the casement park situation as more supremacism in refusing a stadium to "nationalist" followed sports (along with way more examples), especially when nationalists pay a large amount of taxes, and unionist politicians blocked a shared stadium in the first place which would have moved NI on no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭droidman123

Why do you feel our island needs to be "educated" about this though"? There are dutch,germans,french, and indeed british , and lots of other nations living in my country,why would we (irish people) feel the need to be "educated" about their ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Great to see. St Patrick is something that unites us all here. Having a unionist marching bands in Dublin on st patricks is encouraging. I do see big changes recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,065 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Downcow likes to pretend there is something culturally unique about a flute band that we wouldn't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Northern Irish demographics points towards a predominance of 92% "conventional" white ethnicity Vs the Republic's 76%; it makes sense that in a more pronounced ethnic monoculture that there'd be grater ... astonishment read in an integration we've had a larger head start in (even if latter-day malcontents are trying to stir the anti-migrant pot).

We have seen vocal and enthusiastic fusions of afro-irish cultural output and the like, combinations that truly show disparate and ostensibly clashing cultures melded together; a few flute bands from the North are kinda quaint in comparison. Great to see all the same, but also reflective towards a friendly apathy towards our neighbours' professed identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mattser

It's the idea that we have something to 'learn' about flute bands that is odd. We have loads of flute bands here and festivals like Cruinniú na bhFliúít and The All Ireland Marching Band competitions at the Fleadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

An influx into Northern Ireland would change the mood dramatically but the two sides of the sectarian divide fear this.

(1) The normal outcome from such a situation is that the newcomers tend to support the status quo, after all it is the status quo that has welcomed then.

(2) It is hard to judge though. For many newcomers arriving into Northern Ireland governed incompetently by SF and DUP, they will look to the South and see a prosperous country run competently by stable parties and may aspire to join them.

Sectarian nationalists in SF fear (1), sectarian nationalists in DUP fear (2). Hence there is no ecouragement at all of immigration.

Partitionists fear Northern Ireland.

We wouldn't notice any 'influx', the intermix every day of the week.

• Advertisement

Was in Belfast on Friday. Still when you walk into a shop or cafe most people working there are irish. Walk down O'connell street and would even 25% be irish or born here and most working in a shop or cafe arent ? On Donegall place it would probably still be 90% irish. Belfast is like Dublin in the early 00's in this regard. Still some foreigners but has not got mental like now.

Belfast had briefly overtaken Dublin as Ireland's largest city in the early 20th century. Now be less than half it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Francis McM

When you say "Irish" in Belfast above you probably mean born on the island of Ireland. Most people in N. I. were born in the UK, have UK social security numbers, pay UK taxes + get UK benefits etc. Sure, such individuals can choose to identify as Irish, British, or both, and have the right to hold both British and Irish citizenship. 

As regards immigration from the Middle East, Africa etc some other places eg Leeds/ Bradford are ahead of both Dublin and Belfast, and it has not worked out well there, has it? Because of oll the immigration in to Ireland (south of the border) in recent years, I can see another reason why people in N.I. may not want a U.I. At least people in Belfast who work in a shop or cafe can still afford accommodation there, unlike Dublin.

Yes in that context of comparing dublin to belfast and describing inhabitants as irish i was using it as the demonym of Ireland. I have not a clue of a strangers national identity working in a shop. Who does?

I Agree with paragraph two. I think immigration is happenning to fast in Dublin and is already leading to social unrest. Many people in belfast would not like it to end up like Dublin regrading the speed and amount of immigration that has happened to dublin last two decades. The centre of Belfast is still mostly irish while Dublin isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I truly believe you are purposely misrepresenting the reason ni fans don’t want £300m spent o casement and no legacy for football. You are also misrepresenting the opposition to the maze. Hard to learn anything from each other when this is the level of the debate

Clearly you don’t feel the need and would prefer to be ignorant and live in prejudice.

if uk aspired to take over Ireland, then it would be respectful for them to take some time to learn a little of their culture.

no necessity though

This from a poster who labels children when objecting to funding to various groups he sees as 'themuns'.

None so blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The last time anyone referred to "themuns" was July 24 last year about something else, so you are making things up again. It has not been a great few months for you, with SF down in the polls, the Irish flag on the coffin last week of the Garda killer etc.

Not misrepresenting anything at all.Your community doesn't receive a fraction of the obstructionism it dishes out.

Casement park just another of the long list of "legitimate concerns" that crops up when the ego of Unionism is being affronted by others wanting their fair slice of the pie.

Anyone can have a "legitimate problem" with anything if their brain is trained to blow those problems up. You would just hope the other side of your brain which looks to benefit the common good would win over.

Rugby got it's stadium, soccer got it's stadium, ice skating got it's stadium :p) nobody cared or objected, money no issue.

But ohhh, GAA.....

Hahaha, really. How did that work out both here, and around the world, in countries the UK aspired to "take over"?

The Irish flag on the coffin has not gone down well. Look at the reaction from the Gardai. Even the AGSI and Drew Harris could agree on the issue.

No doubt that the flag is a huge blockage towards a united Ireland.

• Advertisement

It's not the flags fault people put it on their coffins or that it occasionally gets highjacked for some cause or another.

The majority of people on this island don't see it the way you do.

What the flag represents is clear, aspirational, and admirable.

The reputation of the flag is in the gutter, thanks to the good republicans.

Amongst who?

It's flown proudly all over the world.

The flag's reputation is in the gutter with the Gardai?

Is the problem with the flag, or how it is being used?

They are two different things, obviously ...

No, it is both, the way that the flag has been used has been an insult to the Gardai, it is provocative towards the unionist community, thereby destroying its reputation and aspiration for peace, thereby making it unsuitable for a united Ireland, the topic of this thread.

I assure you the Gardai are not bashing the flag. If that was the case, you are saying the ideal behind the flag they serve, and the flag that guy served, are one and the same, and that would be nonsense.

To your second point, there is a certain section of the unionist community where absolutely anything be it language, religion, sport, music, signage, stadia, parity, equality, etc is seen as provocative, and railed against at every turn, which I have given multiple examples of in this thread and others.

One can't live their lives by what that cohort finds provocative.

I think most balanced people know the aspirational message that the flag represents.

Whatever flag is chosen by the people will be the flag of a UI.

The Gardai salute the flag we have at the moment.

McAuley came in useful to the Garda hierarchy who are not liking the scrutiny they are getting on other issues and deflected to a non issue.

You are just being useful to them and their 'look the other way' agenda's.

• Advertisement

You are just being very defensive and silly again. Of course there is something culturally unique about the Ulster/British marching band scene. Same as there is something unique about the Irish traditional dance scene.

I have just shared a hotel in Glasgow for several days with OWC football supporters and families participating in the Irish dancing world championships. The crack was great with good interaction, but the lack of understanding of each others pastimes was evident and led to much shared amusement

Advertisement