Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV9

Options
  • 14-03-2023 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

seems to have been a launch of sorts today…

Big market for 7 seater EV’s if price is right. Looks good & nice tech. Gives Volvo vibes in my opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Looks good alright. Guessing 80/90k here though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That will be very popular even at €80/90K. If they manage a version around €60/70K there'll be massive waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hard to imagine it coming in under 70k. We’ve a Sorento plug in and it’s been a fantastic car. In terms of economy and practicality it’s just excellent. Had the older model diesel before it and both behaved flawlessly. Would be seriously interested in this.

Yes hard to imagine it but a paddy spec with a 70KW battery for less than 70K and 8t would fly out the door as there's a real gap in the market there for 7 seater EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

I’m collecting my Y next week. But I think I’m already sold on this 🙈. I’ll ring local dealer tomorrow see if you can throw down a small refundable deposit to get in line. I’d imagine we won’t see them until well into 2024 even if those reviews are saying later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Would agree with previous posters, this will be hugely popular here and based on Kia's past work, will be a very good ev. One concern is that Kia will have significant difficulty meeting the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

For anyone needing 7 seats, this won't be affordable.

Stay Free

Would you pick this or an iX at €90K ? I'd definitely go Kia with my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

€90K for a KIA ?? Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Exactly I don’t think you’d have a depreciation curve on that more like a depreciation cliff, Kia as a brand rightly or wrongly do not have the perceived value to operate at those kind of prices

• Advertisement

spoke to a guy in a Kia dealership today. He reckoned 80k is where it would sit. Let’s see

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

People would have said that a while ago about Kias and Hyundai's at 50k but now look an EV6 cost near to 60k and an i5 at least 50k.

So ye I see this KIA being 80k at least with people still buying it and more wanting it 2nd hand so it will hold its value too and not depreciate badly at all. Its just the crazy world we live in now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Really interesting car, it’s quite boxy is what my wife said and I couldn’t agree more. It reminds me of an X7 type frame, it really looks huge.

Will definitely be something I’d consider once our Kia Sorento is up next year. Id also be really interested to see what the equivalent Hyundai looks like. EX90 would be the dream but it’s way out of price range. Hopefully this and the Hyundai are reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The size of it.😮

I can already see one of these trying to drive me off the road, with the drivers eyes barely able to see over the steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe 15 years, not anymore, I'd rather buy a new Kia over most brands, their range of cars is excellent.

This car looks good if you're looking for 7 seats, will be interesting to see how it drives.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I’m not downing Kia I think they make well built and engineered cars but not 80-90K cars, there are very few cars worth that kind of money, the market has lost the run of itself. 4 years ago you could buy a new Golf R DSG for 51K the equivalent car now the cheapest new one available is 83K in FK and that’s a bloody VW golf they even have one listed at 97K that should be Porsche money not a tarted up hatchback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

I have been following the EV9 for a while as it looked like it could be great and I liked my EV6 a lot but would prefer somthing with more interior space.

I think the deal breaker with it might be range. Some specs leaked a while ago which suggested the range would be pretty poor:

https://insideevs.com/news/632735/kia-ev9-suv-specs-leak/

If this turns out to be the case I would be far less interested. The longest range one is only about 460km and I think that's with a 100kw battery! The most expensive one only does 380km!

Tesla Model Y standard range does same distance as the longest range EV9 with 60kw and potentially at not far off 1/2 the price of it.

The Model Y LR I have on order will do about 100km more again for a much lower price.

Anyway if this turns out to be wrong and it can do 500+km at a non crazy price I'd be very interested. I guess we'll see.

The Model Y is far smaller inside and outside though. The fecking size of the thing wasn't going to lend itself to being the most aerodynamic shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Unless it has similar range to an EV6 and comes in at around €70K, I think it will be a hard sell here.

Actually I’d say my biggest fear for this would be the size. This is Telluride sized as opposed to Sorento. And while I’m well used to the Sorento (which is no trouble) having had larger sized cars they could be a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

the market has lost the run of itself. 4 years ago you could buy a new Golf R DSG for 51K the equivalent car now the cheapest new one available is 83K in FK and that’s a bloody VW golf they even have one listed at 97K that should be Porsche money not a tarted up hatchback

I agree with you there. Its ridiculous the price of some cars now but at least with the EV9 whenever it comes out it can carry up to 7 pasangers or just 6 if you prefer and is quiet big maybe even too big for these road do who knows.

Still if KIA can get a decent range in it and price it right it will still sell.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

If Peugeot can sell the e5008 from €50k+ then it will be the go to 7 seater EV for people who need 7 seats. €80k+ for an Escalade look a like is a different animal altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

You're right. It's way out of hand and that is why people are buying Teslas. The model Y is sensibly priced. Maybe as more brands move online prices will drop. Also, we are experiencing a period of demand at the moment as many people couldn't get new cars during the pandemic.

Exactly I’m picking up a Y this weekend coming, whether you like them or not Tesla are one of the few brands in their price range that are offering value, if we can even call mid to late 40s value but that is where we are. I always say it but I plan to hold on to the Y for a good while as I’ll be surprised if the market becomes sensible over the next few years, hopefully the Chinese will force the big brands to have a reality check

A mid-sized family EV from a reputable brand should cost no more than €53k after the grant for a nice spec. Tesla is offering the Model Y way below that threshold and it's got everything. VAG prices are out of hand in particular and they are deliberately removing things from their cars and re-adding them as extras to push the price up. As an example, an ID4 business a year ago after the grant cost 53k. Now the exact same car spec for spec costs 63k, no grant given. This is why every ID4 registered this year will be a basic life model with absolutely no extras and a measly 174hp output. They now charge you more for the original power output. As someone who owns an ID4 you'd want to be out of your mind to buy an ID4 over a Tesla Model Y at the moment. Tesla, Polestar, Kia, and Hyundai are the brands to buy at the moment.

Did you ever think about pulling the trigger on a Y? Was in same boat as yourself, had an ID4 up to last month. But in complete agreement regards 174bhp power for same price. Not to mention what you don’t get. That’s all before you start into software from the Middle Ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We still have our ID4. It's a 221 business and my wife uses it mostly. It's a lovely car and I really like it but I wouldn't buy an Id4 at the moment because I think they are no longer good value. The car came standard with the 20-inch alloys, 204hp, bigger battery, and keyless entry and you will pay through the roof for the same spec now. I love the ID4, don't get me wrong. It's one of the best EVs for a family. Lots of room in the back.

For our second car or my car, if you want to call it that, we were waiting months for the Audi Q4 E-Tron 35 to come back into production. Audi was useless and unhelpful but I stupidly bought an A3 Sline from them in December. I didn't like the car or the aftersales experience so I shifted to a Polestar 2 about a week ago. Polestar is without a doubt the best car brand I have ever dealt with and like the model Y, the car is fantastic for much less money than what VAG is currently charging for anything decent. I ordered my car and it arrived in 12 days. My second choice would have been a Model Y, mostly because it's bigger inside than the Polestar for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cheapest Polestar 2 is €52k on the road vs Tesla Model Y for €46k on the road. For a smaller car in a less popular form factor with less spec and FWD vs RWD. Range and performance are similar. But those are WLTP figures and do not take into account sustained motorway driving, where the Polestar 2 has considerably worse coefficient of drag, thus shorter range

It could be argued that the Polestar 2 is better looking though 😀

Advertisement