Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

so 80k for base with metallic on the road and 203bhp? Could be one to break all deprecation records

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

It’s hard to know but I don’t think it will, what other decent sized 7 seat EVs are there? The spec on the base actually looks really really good to be fair. Way more standard kit than anything else I’ve seen out there. Heads-up display, 360 cameras, decent stereo and all the assistance systems you need. also has the 100kW battery too.

We bought a Kia Sorento 2 years ago and they are still being advertised second hand for almost the same as we bought new for. Now we did get the partial EV grant and a scrapage offer at the time so that helped. Also we haven’t asked for a trade in yet so that’s what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That’s our experience too. Actually tried to trade in the sorento before the summer, but only k3 specs are available, so not doing that. I’ve a feeling they’re not going to offer K4 again before the facelift. Really interested in the higher performance model. I’ll say again, but that 203 bhp motor must be ridiculously inadequate for the size of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Have been very interested in one of these since announced.

I had a RWD EV6 with I liked a lot but didn't have that much boot space/dog space and this seemed better.

I'd have been looking at the RWD version also to get max range but as mentioned 203 bhp seems to be about 20bhp less than the RWD EV6 despite it being an absolute hulk of a vehicle which would seem to be an issue.

It's also just about €5-10k more than I'd want it to be. €80 - 85k is pretty huge money. I think the Lotus Eletre which looks quite a lot more premium, has a bigger battery and faster charging is starting at 95k in Germany (will be more here I expect) but if I was going to spend that much I'd possibly plump up the extra for somthing that's likey to be more impressive than the KIA.

In reality I'll probably just stick with my Model Y which I got earlier this year and which I'm pretty happy with. I would like (though don't strictly need) a 7 seater EV but this seems just a bit too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Woodie40

80 thousand for a Kia. That is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No real competition unless you count the €120K Volvo EX90. Much nicer looking but €40K is quite a leap. €80K for a KIA is a bit of an ask though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm interested in this to replace an Peugeot 5008 but I'd really need to see it in person. It seems like it would be an absolute pain in any kind of tight spaces and just city driving in general. Would the 100KWH battery translate to longer range than say an 77KWH ID4/Enyaq or would it be all eaten up by the size and shape?

On the range front you are probably getting similar range than a smaller 80kw battery in exchange for the added bulk.

The RWD claims 563km of range (longest range version). My Model Y Long Range claims 565km with a 20kw smaller battery.

I did a near identical 2000km trip around Europe blasting around motorways at 130-140kmph in the EV6 last year and Model Y this year. The Model Y was WAY more efficient than the EV6 so I'd imagine it would be even more noticeable again with the EV9. In saying that it can charge faster so you'd probably get there in about the same time albeit using a big chunk more electricity in the Kia.

The size would be annoying most of the time also I'd imagine. For my summer European driving, the big luxurious 7 seater would be lovely for motorway cruising/allow me to transport visitors when we're on holiday etc but for most of the year in Dublin City it would be annoying to deal with. Also I'm pretty sure it would not fit down the narrow laneway to where we stay in the summer in France (the Model Y only has a few cm to spare) so that pretty much rules it out for me (scrapes on new 80k car would be very upsetting also).

It's a real shame they don't do a 7 seater Model Y as that would suit my purposes perfectly. Efficient 5 seater with the most storage space in its class most of the time with the ability to cram 2 kids in small seats the rare times I'd need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The back row in the Model Y is an absolute miserable place though. It really is a 5 + 2 in the most generous terms. Sorento’s back row is okay, no where near the likes of a sharan, but even I wouldn’t have an issue with it for a short trip. This, looking like a telluride I’m guessing is almost imperceptibly bigger. The footprint of the vehicle is my main concern though. Having had really wide cars in the past, they can be an absolute pain the hole here.

Yep, I'm thinking those back seats in the Y (if they were an option) would be for very rare use for very little people. Don't think it's going to be be an option in any case.

The EV9 is very wide, wider than Model X so I'd imagine it would not be fun in tight car parks etc. You can see a good comparison video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5i-cC7VzM EV9 look very big, compared to a very big car!

She also says there is issues with suspension/feeling nausea which would worry me with 2 very car sick prone boys!

But I do like the general look of the car a lot and the interior looks very roomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Any word on test drive availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Was in looking at an EV6 the other day and dealer told me late November, don't think they're too sure themselves yet

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

A demo arrived today at iMotors KIA in Letterkenny, gonna stop and have a look tomorrow and maybe if I'm lucky get a test drive 😀

Looking at Donedeal, many dealers appear to have them in. So what’s the base base price inc dealer fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Yep, pity will be interesting to see how it sells. There's people who will bay 60k for shite EV's. Is another 20k a stretch for a decent 7 seater that looks the business.... might not be for some. 7 seater EV market doesn't give much choice...

Post edited by staples7 on

I’d say a lot of potential customers that go into a KIA dealer to order an EV9 will end up driving home in a Sorento with €20K left over to buy fuel for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep it's a Mad World.

Still it's a big car maybe too big for Irish roads and is an electric 7 seater.

So it will indeed be interesting to see if KIA sell any here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Heading to France to drive one tomorrow, if anyone wants something in particular covered / featured in the video, let me know.

• Advertisement

Legroom in 3rd row seating and space in the boot with all 7 seats in place would be worth covering if you can ? Thanks. Both are critical in a large seater SUV.

Existing Q7, XC90 etc. owners is where KIA will need to pitch to sell any of these at an €80K+ price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

Went to see an Ev9 in the flesh yesterday. Even better looking than I imagined. Stunning car. Gutted they didn’t come in a bit cheaper but might catch one a few years down the line 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

some of the roads in France are narrow, that’s all I’ll say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Did he mention it was LARGE by any chance 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have a test drive booked tomorrow in Wexford Kia, they have a 7 seater Earth demo if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭derekreilly

Same size as a lot of large SUVs on the roads. Just looks boxier

Anywhere here serious about placing an order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Good review Derek, I look forward to seeing how you get on with your planned Coast to Coast challenge with the EV 9. It's a big car to be driving around some of the roads in Mayo!

Advertisement