Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV9

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your probably looking at around 250 to 300km on the motorway here then during Winter especially if your using it as intended. Nobby probably being a bit generous with 350km in his latest video. Diesel 7 seater probably makes more sense all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Some very quick initial thoughts on this. Haven't really had a chance for a proper drive. It really doesn't seem that large, this is helped by the surround cameras, which are a big step up in implementation vs the Sorento PHEV. Also, the hybrid rear view mirror is big help - didn't realise this was there when ordering.

Wireless CarPlay is only just being rolled out OTA in the US at the moment, should be anyday here according to the dealer. Bit annoying. Also, spent 15 minutes trying to get the wired working, only to realise I need to hit a button next to the socket!

First car I've seen with Apple's car key.

I've never felt the need to comment on the comfort of a headrest, but these jump out they're so good.

6 seat configuration makes accessing the back row a piece of piss, even for adults.

Don't like the haptics buttons onto dash, fortunately, lots of real buttons.

Car key feels brittle (may be just the impression of the material), especially when you're using the remote control and are quickly using buttons on both sides. Bit too much flex.

Overall the quality of the car feels incredibly well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John Cronin 2014

Just A Word Of Warning Guys, There’s A Huge Design Fault With Kia’s EV9 Front Row Headrests..!! 

If anyone is thinking of purchasing the new Kia EV9, there’s a problem with the front row Headrests, they are protruding a massive 180-200mm (7-8 inches) forward from the front face of the seat, forcing your sitting posture into a Forward Head position.

I collected our EV9 in the first week of January 2024 and took it for a 140km drive. When I sat back into the seat throughout the trip, I couldn’t get my head into a comfortable neutral position as the headrest just will not adjust backwards. After that one journey, I suffered excruciating neck and shoulder pain, I’ve spent the last 2 weeks on pain relief and physio.

I contacted Kia about this Design Fault and sent photos of the headrest protruding forward 180-200mm and forcing me into a Forward Head position, see below. I asked Kia if they were going to redesign the headrest but Customer Service got back today and said that since I had taken the EV9 for a test drive, I should have noticed the problem before I purchased the vehicle, Kia have said they won’t be designing a neutral Headrest for people with good posture..!! 

So, if you have good posture and you sit with your head in the correct neutral position while driving, I strongly advise you, Do Not Purchase the Kia EV9. The Headrest is designed only for people that suffer with a Forward Head condition, Please Be Warned..!!

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭eltoastero

I sat in an EV9 the other day (while getting my EV6 serviced) and didn't notice the headrest protruding uncomfortably far (it felt very natural like my EV6).

You can adjust the horizontal position of the EV6 headrest but it's not obvious how to do it. You have to pull the headrest towards your head (towards the windshield) and it will ratchet into place in 2 or 3 different positions, but once it gets to it's most extended position (closest to the windshield) it then springs back it's least extended position (furthest from the windshield).

I would assume the same functionality exists in the EV9 given how similar the seat design is, I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Would you not consider buying 2 new replacement front headrests from some other Kia model ? Obviously ones that suit your posture, physically fit a Kia EV9 seat and are a reasonable colour match to your upholstery. I’m presuming here that the headrests are removable like most cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have you considered trying to return it or if you otherwise like the EV9 insist they provide alternative headrests? Some useful info here

The EV9's headrests have the same 3 ratchet movement as the EV6, but the EV9's three options are 180mm, 190mm and 200mm forward from the front face of the seat. Headrests in the EV6 don't protrude as far forward.

Looked into swapping different headrest, but the rods centre to centre measurement on the headrests that attaches to the seat don't match the EV9 seat.

It's an option that we may have to explore if a satisfactory solution is not found..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Surely a metal work shop could swap the bars from the EV9 headrest to an EV6 headrest and then someone who does upholstery could redo the upholstery once done?

Did you not pick up on this issue on the test drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

I would ask for an incident number , when you report this to Kia Ireland, this gives you confirmation, the issue has been logged on their system. You will also need names of those you have dealt with, and I would ask for staff numbers ie an id number. An incident number is important

Once you have these, or indeed a record of those who decine to provide same, mention that you will escalate directly of board of directors for KIA.

You will be amazed at how quickly you will get a meaningful response

The EV6 headrest won't work.

I didn't notice it on the 3km test drive, it's only when I went for a 140km journey that I found the headrest wouldn't allow me to sit back fully into the seat and have my head in a comfortable neutral position, instead it kept forcing me into a Forward Head position.

I doubt if KIA will do anything for you and you’ll need to find your own solution or workaround. I’ve seen several motoring journalists reviews of the EV9 and none of them mentioned any discomfort with the headrests. Nobby on cars had use of one for about 2 weeks over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dascoop

Anyone getting much of a discount on the sticker price at the stealers for a new EV9 GT 7-seater? If yes, what are you paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I got a very decent trade in offer for a 2.5 year old KIA Sorento PHEV of €44k but price of the EV9 didn’t move but it’s all about cost to change anyway and not how they write it on the sales quote.

Although when I went next door to get a trade-in for an ID4 they offered €45k trade-in so they could probably do better. They didn’t really push hard on the sale as they had very little stock allocation this year. I’m sure it will be different when stock is more readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

So did they offer you 45k against an id4 for a 2.5 year old Sorento? That would be more or less straight swap wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Yeah, I had added a few extra bits to the id4 and was going to come in at closer to €50k so would have had to put in almost €5k. Still thinking about it, wanted to see what the Enyaq price drops were going to be but don’t think they have released updated pricing for the newer models.

Id say we will just keep the Kia Sorento now though, we don’t need the 7 seats but they are handy to have and the boot is massive when not using them. Hybrid is super cheap to run and after arriving to Donegal in it last night was just saying to the wife it was great not having to wait somewhere for 30mins to charge the i4.

€11K off the new price for a GT line on a 232 plate with 5K km’s. New car smell for a few weeks is hardly worth €11K. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35799307

Advertisement