Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

The cheapest Polestar is 51k and Model Y 47k at the moment so it's a difference of 4k. Polestar's APR rate is 3.9% on a PCP and Teslas 6.4%. Looks are subjective and I wouldn't rate one car over the other. The Polestar is a smaller car in the cockpit so in my opinion the Tesla is a better choice as a family car if space is important. That said, the polestar is in no way small inside. FWD vs RWD means nothing. If you are concerned about range, go with the Tesla. I travel from North Wexford to Dublin three times per week and use 45% of the battery up and back (winter range). I have a standard range single motor version.

I went with the Polestar as we already have a long-range ID4. I prefer the look of the Polestar inside and out and I felt the build quality was better than the Tesla. Tesla's range of colors and alloy wheel options do nothing for me. I think they could improve this. I disagree about spec, as the Polestar benefits from Android Auto.

Polestar is building a dealership as part of the Spirit Motor Group in Sandyford and come trade-in time I feel this is a more secure route instead of trying to shift the car privately to another dealer for very little money. All that said, I think the Tesla is the more sensible choice, for a lot of the reasons you listed above. I also think the Model Y is a lot of car for 47k. It's absolutely huge and you'd be mad not to buy it over a model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not wanting to argue with you but if you had a Tesla, you wouldn't want to use Android Auto or Apple car play 😁

The prices I stated were correct though, have a look for yourself if you click configure on the Polestar 2, you will end up with a price of just over €52k

And the Tesla €46519.78 (add the 4 paid amounts up)

so a difference of €5615

I would never consider getting a loan to buy a car, but if you do then for sure the financing rates come into play

That said, I would expect the total cost of ownership to be significantly lower on the Tesla, even if you don't buy the car outright

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Yes, the infotainment on the Tesla is excellent but I found I could do a little bit more on the Polestar, the big advantage being maps in my direct line of vision. I don't like the interior of the Model Y. I do a lot of motorway driving and wanted more of a cockpit feel.

Sorry, I forgot to add the delivery fee with the Polestar. You also pay a deposit of a further €1000 but that is refunded when picking up the car.

Unfortunately, very few of us can buy a car outright so the PCP deals do make a big difference, and the in the long run I save some money there with the lower APR rate.

The car comes with free servicing, I have solar panels on the house and I don't use public chargers so if we were picking at straws maybe I'll lose some money on the motorway with efficiency but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I made the right choice for me so that's all that really matters. I think the Tesla is the more sensible choice as everything you pointed out is accurate and like you said, the cost of ownership is lower on the Model Y. I just didn't want one to be honest.

Can't blame you. I test drove the Model Y and found the interior fairly economy. Haven't been in a Polestar 2, but I get the impression it's nicer.

I'm like yourself, fairly soon I will be charging my EV near purely from PV at home for most of the next 6 months and I rarely public charge myself. It's not the cost / inefficiency of poor aerodynamics though, it's the much lower range at speed. The WLTP figure of EVs is very misleading when used for distance driving and a lot of new EV owners are very disappointed when they find out. Did a recent trip to NI and back in cold and wet weather (well over 300km) and wouldn't have made it in any other EV with the same WLTP range as my own car unless it was equally aerodynamic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf not everyone wants to or should drive a Tesla. It's actually fantastic that people aren't. Otherwise our roads would be boring used car market would suck and tesla would most definitely not give any value being a solo or major player. Monopolies don't.

We should celebrate other car purchases and not continually tell people a model Y is better value. They're not a fantastic place to be in tbh at all.

Tesla evangelising is tiring at this point. Most people who are buying an EV know all about them and don't need educating.

If space was zero concern I'd take the polestar over it any day.

• Advertisement

I'm not Tesla evangelising at all. I took the bastards to court, remember, and I won 😂

What I am evangelising about is that people get value for money. If they buy a car that will have a total cost of ownership that is a lot higher or get a car with a motor way range that is a lot lower, perfectly fine, agree with you that it would be boring if everyone bought the same car. But people need to be aware of this. I strongly disagree with your assumption that most people who are buying an EV know all about them. I'd say many people don't. I'll give you an example. Almost every ID.4 buyer assumes that their car with 77kWh will have a significantly higher motorway (120km/h GPS speed) range than a 60kWh Model Y. This is not the case. Same as it was not the case for a Leaf 40kWh vs Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh. I was banging on about that 5 years ago and very few people understood / believed me even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Saw a polestar 2 at work today, very disappointed with the look. Especially at the back where it seemed to be up in the air. Like a saloon with extra high springs. Again just an observation. I remember seeing the Y for the first time in Mahon SC underground back in November, really liked its presence from the back.

maybe it’s my taste, don’t fancy ev6 or ioniq 5 either. ID4 I’m okish with.

getting back to the EV9, there’s a Kia event at the end of the month where I would expect pricing, range and other details will be announced.

Oh and for the people that keep banging on about me being a Tesla fanboi, if I were to rank all those car from best to worst looking, my list would be:

1. Ioniq 5
    2. EV6
    3. Polestar 2
    4. ID.4
    5. Tesla Model Y

I've only ever been a BMW fanboi, I would likely have already bought a BMW i4 eDrive35 if it had come in under the grant (it almost did) even though it wasn't even designed as a ground up EV like all of the above

And mine would be the exact reverse 😂

I’ve had a mixed car history, going from many Audis (a3,a4,a5) to tiguain rlines and tiguain allspace. Before that in my more care free days RX8 and a lotus Elise. Few alfas and sabbs in between. Lexus in the mix there somewhere too. Actually forgot my Vw corrado 👀

finally got to the ev world with ID4 and model y. Have a feeling I’ll get the itch after a year again…

never bothered about buying for the new ref plate. But for the ev’s it made sense to buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

my list would be.

1. EV6

2. Polester 2

3. Ioniq 5

4. ID.4

5. Tesla Model Y

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

Personally I can't warm to the rather expansive rear end of the EV6. Just seems out of place when compared to the fairly conventional looking front end. IMO the Ioniq 5 is a more coherent design but again its all in the eye of the beholder

Any word on pricing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭eltoastero

I'd the same view initially, but (no pun intended) I reverse park into the drive (charge port on the back right corner) I seeing the rear almost daily for a year it has really grown on me, and then seeing it drive off with the full light bar lit adds to the look (IMO). Beauty in the eye of the beerholder and all that, plus my bias of it being my car and not something I'm going to change soon.

I expect the EV9 to be €70k+. I've no basis for that (other than it's massive), but I'll see if my KIA dealer has any info when I'm down there next week.

Agreed price wise and id say that + on 70k could be 10k or 20k easily :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nobbys first look.

It's even bigger than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bob also has a video up on it and they both do one together too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ridiculous size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Primarily designed for US market so that's why it's so big. Selling the car in European markets is just a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can tow 2.5 tonnes in awd version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

In all fairness what's he going on about the cost of putting so much glass on the car. Surely there's more interesting, useful information to impart about what is likely to be a €80k+ car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Decent review on the times, it should sell if they can retail it close to to €75K or below.

https://www.irishtimes.com/motors/2023/05/30/kia-targets-premium-buyers-with-new-all-electric-seven-seater/

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Looks like a very nice car. Coming from someone who has three kids, a dog and regularly have kid friends in the car and outdoor trips etc, it would be bloody fantastic. Interested to see the price but I’m not holding out hope. It’s unfortunate that there are no decently priced electric 7 seaters and the ones coming to the market are very expensive. Genuinely wonder what family with 2-3+ kids is able to afford these types of cars because surely that’s the target demographic. Would love a 7 seat ID Buzz but will be +70k. Reckon this will be the same based on the price of the EV6. Perhaps something in the sub-60k range will eventually come to our shores.

e-Berlingo is a 7 seater full EV and about €37k

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Maybe a silly question but everyone seems to be referring to the EV9 as a 7 seater yet is seems to have only 6…? The two seats in the second row swivel - and i dont see a way there could be a middle seat in that row.

Jesus Christ, can I just not get a good electric estate car!!!

Size of this monstrosity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The car is standard with 7 seats, 6 is an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Where? I can only see the 5 seat version in price lists

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Seems to be just 5 seat options in M or L vehicle length in the online configurator. They do an e-Spacetourer at €49K but it only has a 50kWh battery which is probably too small for a big vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Advertisement