Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Probably can’t believe it because it hasn’t been said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Why don’t they just build council estates. It’s so obvious it’s what needs to happen. Immediately brings down the price of property too so that more folks on medium wages can then sort themselves out through renting or borrowing. It’s **** stupid that they won’t just do it and sort out the problem.

Did I say it didn’t?

Can you not comprehend that people may choose to stay in a location in isolation rather than go to a hostel or hub?

Don’t respond to me because I don’t have time for ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

I agree with jinglejangle. Families don't live on the streets.

They are prioritised. And get a hotel room, or at a minimum an indoor place with living facilities until something permanent is filled.

Am I saying it's acceptable? No. Not one bit. But no family is forced to live on the street.

You mentioned Maggie Cash, a bad example.

Another example you gave was news article 1. A man that has been funded by the state for 11years and was allegedly caught with 1.6k of coke and 6000 cash. As per the Irish independent. Did he make any decisions that affected his situation do you think? The poor children. But that man got himself into that position. They too were then offered accommodation and turned it down.

Next thing he's in a news article putting the pressure on. Very Maggie cash no?

The other two articles, we don't know the people involved, but both are put out by charities that receive money for homelessness. I'd assume their motive is same as Maggie cash and Alan Fitzpatrick. Let me know if you can say otherwise.

Very easy for Alan Fitzpatrick found with 6k cash to get in the tent, snap a few photos and drive back to the parents gaf after.

Homelessness is terrible. But these press articles have a motive behind them. If you're grand with someone taking off the taxpayer, committing crime, long term unemployed, in a house for 11 years and then turning down accomodation and going to a newspaper, we'll agree to disagree.

Post edited by Get Real on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say because of incompetence. None of them are ever held accountable. I get the impression that they wanted to move away from "council estates" model years ago and mix the social housing in with everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Someone is crying for coke dealer Alan Fitzpatrick.

posters coke dealer's hatred pours out of the screen

Passive aggressive much? Projecting much? Something has rotted your brain.

Not that it matters because you lot keep changing the goalposts, families slept on the street. End of.

Whether he’s a drug dealer or not, I don’t see you provide any evidence, his children aren’t guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LongfordMB

They've added in restrictions on selling the property by saying the landlord cannot achieve market value as they must sell to tenant first.

So, why would a landlord take on a tenant and not just sell now?

They are still not getting it. Anti landlord measures made up on the fly in piecemeal fashion. How typically irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Walk around Dublin1 and see the amount of border up properties, that could house hundreds if not thousands of people. Somebody above posted a photo of a ghost estate in Tipperary. While it's not 20k houses there are far too many properties around the country not being fully utilised, and a severe vacant property tax needs to be imposed on these to force them back into use or sold to someone who will use them.

These properties are constructed and are connected to power and water mains. Yes they'll need some renovating, but that will be much quicker than planning and building brand new builds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Absolutely no problem with income tax. Where did I say I did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Fact is many don't get reported and you don't know what these cost. Did it cost the LL 0k or 50k.

RTB isn't giving us the figures. I doubt its because they are "too good"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If anyone can provide housing cheaper and profitable than "the majority of Landlords". They should go do it. They'll clean up if you are correct.

I'm not seeing many coming forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They wont build council estates because that leads to ghettoisation, the policy is now to buy to have a mix of private and public housing in estates. I am sure some folks have all the details around this.

The main problem is that they stopped building social houses and the social houses they did have they sold to the people who were living in those houses and then effectively used the private rental market to house new social tenants which meant anyone looking to rent is just going to the one market, its the same now for buying houses because buyers are not just going against other people to buy the house but councils as well. Also making bedsits (even though not nice) illegal they pushed a lot of people out of that accommodation and again into the private rental market.

They do need to separate the rental market into public and private and allow people the access the market that is affordable to them. We can't have everyone hitting the same market. It is the same for the housing market as well so that people can buy in the market that is affordable to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Vacant property tax is a 4-5 year solution and many properties boarded up have low propert tax. Those houses in Portroe probably are valued in the lowest propert tax band. As they are not complete they are exempt from property tax

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

You sound like you might want to encourage landlording.

There'll be political war if its suggested :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

hard to feel sorry for landlords.

hard to feel sorry for someone who has other people pay their mortgage so they can own a valuable asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What about the landlord who was on the radio yesterday, he is 11 k out of pocket because his tenants refuse to pay rent and there was nothing he could do about it.

Scumbag tenants like that are just as bad as a landlord who screw over a decent tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I feel sorry for the people who are going to be evicted but you can't have an eviction ban forever, you are just kicking the can down the road and making the problem worse in the long run. I don't hear what the alternatives are, or the solutions, just extend it forever?

Why should a private landlord pay for the governments mistakes, I know the common idea is that landlords are all monsters but at the end of the day they are providing a service that is obviously needed. forcing more to leave the market isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And people who rent out properties they own outright with no mortgage..?

• Advertisement

Lisa Chambers said on the radio today we should have a referendum on a right to housing.

How would that change anything, it wouldn't get the houses built any quicker.

without knowing the particulars, why should we feel more sorry for someone who has to pay a portion of their own mortgage themselves, versus chucking people out on the street?

anecdotes are all well and good but my previous point still stands

So you think its fine play the system in order to pay nothing, at least we know your view on the subject now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its not about feeling sorry for them. its the fact that you are going to make them sell their properties and then there will an even worse problem.

well, thats just pure profit then.

landlords reduce the available housing stock by getting in front of first time buyers etc, by being able to secure funding, and then turning around and renting out that same property at a nice profit and denying lower income people from getting on the property ladder. keeping them in the rent trap.

but we must never hold landlords accountable for this of course. "they're providing a valuable service"

landlords are trying to play the system to pay nothing by having others pay their mortgage so they end up with a free asset at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And where do people live who want temporary accommodation?

Students staying here temporary from abroad?

People staying in a 1 bed in Dublin for X period of time for work?

Not everyone renting wants to buy where they currently live. A lot of rental accommodation is a stop gap for people at a point in their life. I lived in 5-6 rental spots through my 20s that I'd no interest in buying.

You seem to have your blinkers on that everyone is a first time buyer wanting to get onto the market at an exact moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Of course they provide a valuable service.

I moved far from home for college and rented there for years. I didn't leave the local tech after the leaving with a deposit for my own place!

They allowed me to move around the country from one job to another for years.

Iv colleagues owning in one part of the county and renting in Dublin a few nights a week when they are in the office here.

Lots of doctors and nurses move around the hospitals during their training, they all need to rent.

Iv relations moved home from other countries and renting while deciding their next move depending on family events.

We need a functioning reasonably priced private rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think this is an excellent point to a degree, regulation aka taxation has made a lot of cash industries which were endemic here no longer feasible. It's no surprise that the shortage of taxis in Dublin has coincided with the introduction of mandatory acceptance of card payment.

Where i would differ is the blaming of institutional landlords, this is realistically the only way to solve the crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It's called market forces and property values can go down just as quick as they go up.

Whatever way you look at it LL are putting in their own money in buying properties and choosing to rent. It's no difference to any other enterprise

who offer a service to the public and expect to make a profit. LL are not the problem yet they're being demonised.

The Government has failed people badly over the last 30 years on this issue and 50 years in dismantling Council building and maintenance programs.

Where is the drive to encourage Apprenticeships in the Skills needed to ramp up the building of Housing stock.

Yet they keep taking in more people from abroad when we can't even house our own. I'm not talking about the War, That's a seperate issue.

The same people crashed the Country in 2008 and left us all to pay for their mess. This is just history repeating itself.

Poor Governance from TDs who continue to allow minorities run the country to their agenda.

Advertisement