Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

It is madness, you're right.

The Government created this mess. Purposefully, with short term thinking.

All it was ever going to do was create a rapidly inequal society that would pit groups against each other.

That said, when you see the inevitable result of growing homelessness and strife versus people playing the poor mouth of accidentally tripping into being a landlord whoopsie-daisy-guess-ill-just-have-to-take-all-this-record-high-rent-money, it's a division that's only going to end one way.

I know of one shocking example where there are, hopefully not, 3 different families that may be forced into living in one 4 bed home. "Difficult times", I think you know not.

Oh the taxes, oh the few months of a ban, oh I'm a hard worker with more than one home...it's the world's smallest violin playing.

Every day of the week.

If we're talking about a more equal society as a goal, that benefits everyone, those with extra homes in a housing crisis are near the bottom in terms of priority. Not at the top. That's fairness, not to mention sensible.

But vote away for the status quo. Let's see how it is next year then. Bit of a leopards ate my face moment, but that's how it goes.

It's easy to bash on landlords. That's what happens in a housing crisis. There was many a year anyone could have exited, but there was money to be made. When there's a food crisis and soaring food prices and food profits, while malnutrition and starvation are on the rise, we can all go to town and vilify farmers.

Regardless, this government, and anyone who thinks like them, need to go. If you want to know why, just look at what they created.

Post edited by tinsofpeas on

Thats fine neither of you empathise with the first 3 boys sleeping in a tent in a park.

You just ignore the other two because you have no argument.

At least have the intelligence to walk away when you don’t have it to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps the government should increase the rent-a-room relief and also subsidize home-owners to take in ledgers temporarily. An extra 50 quid per room per month or something for the first 12 months or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Your scenario makes no sense

People need somewhere to live, they don't need cars

A 2nd house sitting empty for months is not the same as a 2nd car sitting Idle for months

Even if you had a 2nd car, it's probably a sports or leisure car that you would likely use regularly on weekends. If its a sports car you're already taxed heavily on it.

Cars depreciate in value, Houses appreciate in value.

You're argument is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bannedboyband

Margaret Cash did. That's one family or does she not count. And even family's in hotels due to lack of government action is unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like its you with no argument.

In the first case they were offered a hotel but decided that was no good so put themselves in a tent instead knowing the media would jump on it.

Second case, DCC offered them a place in the sports hall which although not ideal was a warm place to stay but of course that was no good either so off they go to the cop shop again as in the first case knowing the media would be all over it.

Third case, no information given on whether they even looked for a place to stay and you know I'm going to go out on a limb here and say a place would have been found for the two of them if they asked for it.

Post edited by Galwayguy35 on

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Reading the RTÉ News report this morning it is fairly grim. As a renter myself in one of the larger internationally owned blocks in SIC, my blood boils reading it.

Since the beginning of the pandemic many renters living in Dublin for work proposes moved back home. 80% of the building was empty so they decided to allow HAP tenants in. I am by no means trying to discriminate against people on the HAP but there are plenty of people working/not claiming benefits who cannot get a place to live.

With regards to renting in dublin, you’d nearly be better off in the social welfare than working. Sad to see

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maggie Cash you say, probably the biggest scrounger, spoofer and a criminal as well.

Great example there all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

So what happens when more or less all the Landlords are gone?

who controls all this property then?

The state? Vulture funds? Large corporations?

We as a people in this country Are absolutely fuched if that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ah yes Maggie.

Who slept in a Garda station( not on the streets )

Turns out she was a criminal scam artist.

Its ok though she got her forever home at the expense of a deserving genuine struggling family thanks to people like yourself.

My original point still stands.

Not one family spent a night on the streets in Ireland unless they chose it over accommodation and shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's ridiculous how there is an accommodation shortage in Ireland.

But, I think most people are secretly glad as the entire culture is based on fast bucks off property, and or free/cheap social housing.

The Irish ego loves this ****. It's our true religion. Screw the next generation.

The celtic tiger was a big hard on for this country. And we are back to this **** drama again, within the same generation!

And the Irish media pumping up property again with room to improve and house of the year. What a shower of absolute dopes we are.

It's a **** circus.

That's Ireland for ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This is what you stated as a general position:

The Government should have no business telling you what to do with your own property.

Why is the government (via the local authority) allowed to tell your neighbour what to do with their own property?

Would you like to modify the foregoing to:

"The Government should have no business telling you what to do with your own property except in cases where it suits me personally for them to do so"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wouldn't hold Ms Cash out as a beacon of homelessness. She wasn't exactly an ideal tenant, didn't always pay her share of the rent in a couple of places and refused offers of houses as they weren't what she wanted. She then decided to go for the sympathy vote by pretending to sleep in a Garda station with her kids. It worked, of course. She got the type of house she wanted in an area she was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

I have a holiday home that only has permission for short term let. I recently applied to the council to change this to long term let and it was refused. So, IMO, the Government don't actually care, it's just all talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the only entries to the rental market on the whole are big players, tis a shock they would leave a loophole there to help them

no leave the non pressure zones alone, extend rent controls to new rentals in the pressure zones

non of these measures were meant to affect supply

lack of supply in the housing market means lack of supply in rentals, the rent controls are there to stop people profiteering off this mess, which on the whole they were doing

the market is the opposite of free at the moment, so needs to be controlled

“Not one family has spent a night on the streets in Ireland.” was the charge.

Blatantly a lie, evidence supplied.

Walk away because, first time I gave the evidence, the second time I gave sympathy for ignorance, the third time I have to respond proves you’re a clown!

Go sharpen your pencil fella, you’re out of lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the only thing the government cared was pushing up house prices and this has been achieve extremely well

they dont care about housing, health service etc etc

mostly because there are no consequences for poor performance, in fact its a great way to become tea sock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

And you know, the mad thing is that the council contacted me to house a refugee family and then they refuse a change of planning to long term let!

I'm happy the eviction ban has been lifted. Hopefully the majority of landlords will remain in the market but I'm sure there will be a reasonable number that will want out after this and I can't blame them.

There was a lot of pressure on the government to maintain the ban but rumors are that the ban was being challenged and the government believed that the challenge might be successful. The main concern was if house prices fell or selling with tenants in situ affected the price that the state would be held liable. There was also concerns that those that were trying to move back into their property and could not do so might seek compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The key problem for the government in keeping the eviction ban is that it was supposed to reduce homelessness. It didn't, homelessness went up.

Therefore in any court case, the evidence before the court would be that the public policy issue the ban was seeking to solve didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'd agree with you to an extent, but the reality is it's a second vacant property, IE an investment. And all investment should carry risk.

The protections of "The Home" should not extend to 2nd properties

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Exactly this.

Their inaction cannot be interpreted any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

Landlords already bear risk when they own a property - the value will go up and down. The property may be worth very little or less than what you paid should you choose to sell - thats the risk element of ownership. Just because a person worked hard and has a 2nd property doesnt mean that person is rich and that their tenant is poor - which unfortunately is the belief of many people renting!

The government should not be able to dictate if you rent out that property or not. The government should not be able to say you cant get rid of tenants who havent paid a penny in rent. Its crazy thinking - a landlord should be able to do as they please with that property and not be seen as greedy bullies ( which most are not) Any other investment you can get out of when you want where as renting a property is not easy to get out of and landlords are stifled by legislation.

Landlords are not charities - Society needs to realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yes evicting people, is definitely gonna help to ramp up the supply of new buildings, definitely!

its clearly obvious, emergency policies that protect both tenents and landlords is urgently needed, for example, a temporary debt moratorium could be implemented for landlords, and/or a state guaranteed rent payment system, along side an eviction ban.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It doesn't extend to it. However if a couple separate should they be allowed to get back that house. Should a LL be allowed to get back a second house if a child requires it.

The vast majority of LL owned 1-3 rental properties, actually the majority only own one. The problem for the government was if the eviction ban stayed these LL would start to look for there property back and in the case of owners of 1-2 properties it would be impossible to stop that. They then would probably sell the property. The other factor is as properties became vacant due to tenants leaving some LL would leave the property empty.

To even keep the ban the government would have had to allow eviction in the case of owner requiring it themselves or for a direct family member that would have nullified the effect of the ban if you decided you wanted to sell it. You get your property back hold off selling it for 6-12 months and then sell it.

There is an old saying hard cases make bad law and it very appropriate to what has happened in the rental sector in Ireland

I think only three units took up the change to the way people in nursing homes were dealth with. There is massive fear of renting a property by people that have vacant houses at present

Slava Ukrainii

The fear is simple, it is that tenants will not pay and will wreck the property as they feel entitled to do so.

This comes down to two things, firstly the failures of the RTB to deal with poor tenants effectively and efficiently, and secondly, the idea promulgated by the poverty industry and some politicians that everyone deserves a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

No, people should have a right to shelter (not necessarily a house, there are apartments, modular housing, hostels etc.) but that comes with it a responsibility to look after it.

Everyone has a right to life but a responsibility to respect the right to life of others. If you don't you end up in court, and you can lose your right to liberty.

Similarly, if you abuse your right to shelter, you can lose your entitlement.

The problem with the rights industry is that they never focus on the concomitant responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

Maybe instead of pushing this narrative we could be highlighting the amount of normal tenancies out there

Advertisement