Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This isn't about pushing a narrative, I have outlined the perception of the market from prospective landlords. No point in highlighting the amount of normal tenancies out there if those landlords fear being the ones with a bad tenant.

Think of it as a numbers game. If you are right and there are only a small number of bad tenants and a large number of good homeless people, if you make it easier to get rid of bad tenants, then more landlords will offer properties to rent, and the good homeless people will find accommodation.

A robust system that allows landlords to quickly evict tenants who don't pay or damage property or sub-let will make the rental market work better for everyone. The only losers will be bad tenants, and you don't believe there are many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

But its an irrational fear if prospective landlords don't have the numbers. The news today tells us that 1/8 of cars are uninsured instead of saying 7/8 of cars are insured. Now I agree that paying your car insurance isn't newsworthy and nor is paying your rent on time but you'd have to imagine the vast amount of tenancies are functioning normally.

Had a look at RTB data there. A bit behind but in q2 2022 there were 1,666 eviction notices issued. Even if we were to assume that all of these were for delinquent tenants its a fraction of the 275k plus tenancies registered. The reality is that many of these evictions are no fault evictions which would bring the number of delinquent tenants down further.

I fully agree that there should be a robust system to evict delinquent tenants. I don't agree that the presence of a such a system would result in an influx of new landlords but it should be brought in to penalise freeloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The fact that it is an irrational fear only increases the need for intervention to address the issue.

Economics assume people behave rationally, an irrational fear justifies intervention. If the vast vast majority of tenants are paying rent on time, treating property properly and not sub-letting, then a more robust system to evict delinquent tenants will have little effect other than in a symbolic way. At the very least it will ease the fears of landlords thinking of leaving the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't remember who it was, but there was a government spokes person on the news and she was blaming the county councils. She was saying it's their fault and the government shouldn't be blamed. the interviewer pointed out that she was ff/fg and those parties control most of the county councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I am not for one second suggesting that they are charities, but at the same time they should not be allowed to do what they want with a resource that they are monopolizing. No LL is in a position of their property being worth less than what they paid for it, and even if they were, they've had someone else paying a mortgage so the loss is minimal.

Like if there are no controls, we end up with chaos. Sean Quinn is a perfect example of zero regulation ends up looking like.

And most people who have 2 or 3 didn't work hard for them, they either inherited, came into money, got lucky, a personal loan from the bank of mam and dad, or had a certain set of circumstances that favored acquiring more property.

The only reason for evicting someone is when they are not paying, and it should be 3 months max and the eviction should be swift, I'd agree with you on that

Nope, you have a business contract for 1 year. The person that breaks the contract should be in my eyes liable to a penalty. (Its doesn't matter what your personal circumstances are)

I do get what both of you are saying though that adherence to the rules isn't great and all you need is one bad tenant and you're goosed.

And we all know what paddy is like when it comes to rules....

Still begs the question though, why don't LL's sell the property? Ireland is not at all suited to renting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

Why the if? Do you not believe the vast majority of tenancies are functioning normally?

Like I said I don't disagree with a system that evicts and/or fines delinquent tenants. It actually baffles me that it doesn't exist. 12 years of government by the party of the law and order and someone can get away with owing a landlord tens of thousands of euro. Its disgusting.

I’m very close to selling the duplex I have let since it was built to very good tenants. I intend giving them a full year’s notice, enough time to think about what move they might like to make. I could do with the lump sum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

It's called INCOME TAX. What is your problem with that

Hahah. Look at the price of rent in Dublin. I think we are WELL aware that landlords aren't charities , Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You are not taking into consideration the post I was replying to. My answer was in relation to a post stating that people with a second house should be forced to rent it out rather than leaving it vacant.

It's my view that if someone owns a house, they shouldn't be forced to rent it out. It's their property. If they want to leave it vacant, they should be allowed to do so. Obviously if the house was a danger to anyone, then the owner should be forced to make it safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

WELL it seems some tenants are happy not to pay rent at all to their landlord so what else would you call this but charity by the landlord or theft by the tenant. The sad thing is that our government are ok with this and have put no laws in place for landlords to recoup unpaid rent. There are landlords out there that are providing housing to people for FREE because the law seems to be on the tenants side only

Have you any figures on how many? The reverse is a lot of landlords happy to keep deposits for no reason. For the record I agree on the ban being lifted. The vast majority of landlords receive disgustingly large sums for what they provide. Genuinely take a look on rent.ie for 10minutes. And Ps its definitely theft by the tenant. If it was charity the landlord would very kindly have not bothered charging the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But Maggie Cash didn’t spend a night on the streets?!!

No evidence has been supplied??

I can't get over landlords on here thinking they shouldn't be paying tax hahah , what an insane take.

Can I stop paying my mortgage so!!!??

Happy days.

Nobody should be forced into providing a service if they don't want to. If I buy a third or forth car does that mean I should have to rent it out as I wont be using it the whole time? If I buy a house with 8 bedrooms should I have to rent out 5 because I'm not using them all the time?

The solution is simple if you don't like landlords/don't want to rent, then work hard get a mortgage and buy or build your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

And then you have this stuff: 22 house ghost estate in the middle of Portroe, Co Tipp

Too far from D4 for Nama to be arsed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Still begs the question though, why don't LL's sell the property? Ireland is not at all suited to renting"

Yes, this is what many have been doing. Sell up, pocket the cash, no complaining there from most of them.

Most complaining is from renters that there is nowhere available to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There has to be some kind of planning for these kinds of things. Administrative decisions are made which give massive value to property. The other side of that though is that people cannot be allowed to hoard property to hold the rest of the population to ransom.

For example, in the past, speculators would buy property in certain areas and just sit there for a decade or more and allow it to go derelict. If planners decide to provide for a new estate and ringfence areas for say shops for that new community, you shouldn't allow a scenario to develop where a speculator goes in and buys up the commercially zoned part and decides to sit on it to see if it will appreciate over the long term when all the people living in the houses need those services to be up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Economics101

You say "extend rent controls to new rentals in the pressure zones". Sorry, but I assume that rent controls apply throughout the rent pressure zones already. Rent controls will sooner or later have an adverse effect on supply. The effect may be very small at first, but after several years, when controlled rents are well below market levels or levels which make new construction commercially viable, there will be an adverse effect on supply to the rental market, and maybe to the housing market as a whole.

And for anyone wondering why people choose the streets over homeless shelters or hubs, here’s why.

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/man-who-sexually-assaulted-boy-3-in-homeless-hub-to-be-deported-after-sentence/1889693405.html

I stand by my original statement and you haven’t provided anything to disclaim it.

You tried to use Maggie cash as an argument and you were pulled up by numerous posters.

A fool you say…

That’s some wild claim you’re making there.

So people don’t choose to stay in emergency accommodation because a 3 year old was assaulted??

Taking aside the thousands and thousands of people who are actually staying in emergency accommodation as we speak who are you referring too???

Id like to see how you came to this conclusion apart from your vivid imagination.

Again for those at the back. The claim is no family spent the night on the street.

families have and you’re ignorant or disingenuous to suggest otherwise with all the documented evidence.

People choose not to stay in homeless hubs or hostels because they are not safe.

Ignored going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

no, is that not what you were on about with the two tier system?

Properties that were no rented in the previous 2 years are exempt from the rules

if you mean inside and out side the pressure zones, there was already a large disparity in favour of the pressure zones due to very high rent increases, so its not a bad thing to balance that

Why will they have an adverse affect on supply? all you have to do is manage how they can be increased, In other places, you have rent controlled and non rent controlled side by side, causing issues

but theres no reason they can't work if managed, the CPI increase was fair, but you need to manage that to balance out outlier years

the real issue is lack of supply of housing

what the irish housing market needs is control, its already a rigged game in the first place, but boom and bust is just stupid when it could be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that makes zero sense, if the rental cap is fair then you will still have those who wish to rent on both sides

you should set market rates, this is the point

allowing new rental to be the only ones who can gouge is what causes the issues

make it fair for renters and landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sexual assault can happen anywhere though. It's not solely confined to homeless shelters or hubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

We need about 20-40k more social houses. that's the long and short of it. two ways to deal with that - build more of them, or tackle the root causes of poverty and inequality in this country. or, ideally, both. i see slow movement on one of them, none on the other.

Advertisement