Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silo [Apple TV+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d agree but add that every quality hero needs a quality villian and while commons isn’t convincing, robbins fiendishly subtle performance is killing it. You can just see the difference in quality acting between Ferguson, robbins and the rest of the cast.

As a side question, did we actually see the dead bodies of the a previous cleaners when we got to see the real world at the end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ferguson was outstanding, and should be in contention for awards IMO. So many ways her character's spikiness and general misanthropy would have come off obnoxious if played by someone else; not only did the actor keep it grounded and keep Juliette just about likeable - but her wordless, wounded moments of vulnerability were perfect. As I said before her face as she watched that video in Episode 9 was astounding IMO, that moment she realised she wasn't wrong, her feelings hadn't been misused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, she was absolutely great. In a few of the earlier eps, she had this thing about moving her body forward but also kinda physically pulling back when talking to the various characters she was unsure of. A great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As a side question, did we actually see the dead bodies of the a previous cleaners when we got to see the real world at the end?

Looking back on it it's hard to tell as the camera pans around at a distance, but the tree is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

when she left the badge on what appeared to be the previous cleaners bodies the screen went blurry, was that because it was showing us that it was the video and then moving back to reality ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yeah. That was my take.

Her visor screen has difficulty processing the AR ontop of the metal is how I read it. A bit clunky but demonstrates the point in the TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 has gone into indefinite hiatus due to the strikes.

The longer the strike goes the greater chance this and other series never start up again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I support the strike wholeheartedly but oof, sucks it's beginning to hit shows I legitimately like, if not love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Terrible news, thankfully the books exist and are just as gripping - I had to start reading as soon as the season ended!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just finished all 3 books myself, really enjoyed them. Anyone got any recommendations for anything similar to read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There are plenty of dystopian science fiction novels out there, but I can't quite think of anything very similar.

Good place to go for recommendations is here: https://www.boards.ie/categories/sci-fi-fantasy-sci-fi-fantasy

Also on r/suggestmeabook on reddit the same question has been asked before. Have look around there, seen some suggestions.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really enjoyed Silo overall. Must admit I found the first half a bit of a slog and considered giving up, but the last four episodes really made up for it. I've no knowledge of the books so I'll be intrigued to see where the next series goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

For book readers , Does knowing what’s gonna happen not spoil it a bit or does it add to the reading experience?

Seems like an interesting trade off. I enjoy surprises so not sure how I’d feel watching something where a lot of the mystery is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I started reading the books halfway through watching the tv show so the ending was spoiled for me. I still enjoyed it and thought it was done very well. Some things are different in the show than from the books but it all makes sense as some things don't translate to screen as well. The author Hugh Howey did an AMA on reddit and said the same.

With the ongoing writers and actors strikes I'd say it could be a few years before we see a 2nd season. Or possibly not at all which is what happened to a lot of shows last time there was strike in Hollywood. So I'd recommend reading the trilogy, it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch. Not VERY similar but got a good mystery and quick page turner vibe about it like Silo did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe no. That's not good. Hopefully it gets released sometime in the next few years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hope it doesn't get cancelled like a lotta shows the last time this happened

Ms

Yes me too. It was a great show and original. Does not deserve to be cancelled.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really great show - I sincerely hope it gets another few seasons. Enjoyed it that little bit more being a Fallout fan, strikingly similar to the initial theme of those games in that society lives in massive shelters that function as mini societies in isolation from one another.

I thought Common suited his role well enough, maybe I'm biased as a massive Hell on Wheels fan but I enjoy him and he has good screen presence. Cast were good in general but people seem divided on Common in particular.

Thought Rebecca Fergusson was very good but her accent slips a lot - especially when she gets angry or raises her voice, at one point it was a full on British accent for a few seconds.

Severance and Silo are two top notch sci-fi shows, heard good things about Apple's Foundation as well but haven't gotten around to it just yet - I would say more of a priority now that I've finished Silo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Apple got the big pockets, they don’t need to cancel anything

• Advertisement

I presume the relative popularity of shows is going to factor more than ever once the Strikes lift & productions start again. So I'd hope that this has been a success for Apple & one they'll want to return to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Is this worth watching?

Wouldn't be talking about it otherwise; yes, it's an excellent thriller and the ultimate Bottle Episode of TV.

Plenty of companies have big pockets it’s not just about money either the actors, writers, directors will all have other work to do and will have contracts for other jobs.

Rebecca Ferguson is one of the most in demand actors in the world today will she have time to fit in s delayed series around the movies she makes

The jobbing actors and writers aren’t going to wait around they need work and don’t have the luxury of $1 million paychecks.

everything is shut down. Ferguson can’t go make a movie while silo is paused. The writers and directors and actors aren’t allowed to work.

And that’s the point they will have signed on for other work which will have budgets Time constraints, etc..

If Silo season 2 was to be filmed over the next 3 months and their nexts jobs start in November and the strike ends October 31st it’s Apple who lose out not their next job.

Are Apple and other companies going hold series indefinitely until actors, writers and directors become available again to work on there series in maybe in two or three years time.

Maybe if these companies had AI they wouldn’t need any of them.

Things will get worked out, stuff will be moved around. Every show/movie is going to be delayed.

Apple want another season. Cost isn’t really a factor for them. They are probably the best bet for a show to get a few seasons of any of the streaming service.

Ms

Foundation as well but haven't gotten around to it just yet - I would say more of a priority now that I've finished Silo.

It is excellent yes. Every episode is an hour or sometimes more long too. Proper episodes

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Apple have been cancelling quiet a few big name staring shows over the last 6/8 weeks.

Also on things get moved around why would Paramount/ WBD/ Disney/ Sony etc move there schedule around to suit what Apple or any of their rival companies

They all have deep pockets and they need to pay their artists with those deep pockets

I hope it doesn’t get cancelled however i hope the strike lasts till the unions get what they want and if that takes shows and films getting cancelled so be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It does feel like a trade off. There are things in the book like reading the peoples thoughts and descriptions of the surrounding that can't translate to the tv series that were cool. The general development of the story looks to be getting done well in the tv series as in the books though. From the reactions of the non-book readers, it feels a lot like how I felt reading the books so the experience looks to be getting across well.

I'm glad I'm not mixing the two up. It feels solid to experience both separately. Though I don't know it from a mixing at the same time perspective.

Advertisement