Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silo [Apple TV+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: That was good! That was Juliette from Mechanical!

Not really a spoiler as this has happened in the show now but adding context from what I remember of the book:

The death of Mayor Jahns really packed a bigger wallop in the book because I remember the whole time, she was thinking.. just thinking thinking thinking. All about the Silo. All about what to do. All about threats. Even at the end knowing what had happened. It wasn't a surprise to her.

I'd really gotten connected to her story and her death felt like it hit hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Third episode was great . The idea behind the series seems very familiar, i think there was even a stargate episode that had a similar plot. Not having read the book i would just assume another series hinged on a single twist that the surface is fine and has always been fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Books spoilers:

They also didn't make it too obvious that IT might have some involvement in her death. In the book they refill their water before they continue on. The TV show doesn't want us to know who the baddie really is just yet which is fine and they are making judicial more of a bogeyman. In the book Bernard from IT has a head of security called Sims who is now a Judicial man in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched episode 3. Very good.

A little bit of humour too in it which is good.

What happened to Ruth? I am guessing see was poisoned by the grey haired lad. So sad just after her and your man had started to get together and all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah Yeah. That jogs my memory. Seems to be working out for the TV show from the posts so far.

I don't think the tv show has shown us yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 2 and weird the way

The outside was so CGI-looking itself? Can't help wonder if that's a thing, or just the production cutting corners, lol

Really liking the show so far though; there's a good balance in how it's simmering the mystery. Just the right amount of information doled out while keeping me guessing. And the world building has been excellent throughout; exposition kept to a minimum while being informative of how this world operates.

This has quickly jumped up the list of shows I'm looking forward to watching more of.

4: Oh! It's all so mysterious! Some good work being put into these episodes.

I can't remember how much of Juliettes history was covered in the books.

Ms

Excellent 4th episode and a really good backstory to Julie's life.

I would love to know what happened to her Mum and Brother and why she blames her Dad for it.

Also not looking good for Maimed ir whether his name is too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

After a brilliant episode 3, the 4th episode was all filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thought that myself to be honest. Very little movement on the main story and mostly unnecessary Juliette backstory - do we really care about how she ended up in mechanical? About the only relevant things were the message that her mentor has started figuring out the camera, and Tim Robbins becoming the interim mayor.

I was surprised that they went with an episode like this after only 3 episodes before it. Usually that happens mid-late before the big finale. I felt it just killed the momentum of last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Its mad that in real life in parts of America sheriffs are elected positions. Like how is she supposed to know how to investigate a murder and know all the laws as a mechanix. Slower episode but love the cast of actors they have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 down and what a thundering, exciting episode of TV. Really turned the crank on the crisis, inch by inch, and that prior, solid world building really paid off cos it meant the physicality and immediacy of the problem felt more established.

Rebecca Ferguson has a tough ask being someone quite openly aggressive and bullish; not unlike someone like Katniss from the Hunger Games, but Ferguson plays it like a wounded animal rather than some sullen, total àsshole. Been impressed with her performance. And it remains weird seeing Tim Robbins back acting after what seemed like a long time.

Loved that little "blink and you'll miss it" moment where

The flickering screen in the canteen briefly showed the real(?) world. I wonder did anyone even notice? Didn't seem like they did, but we'll see.

I do love the way they're not being too withholding about the central mystery. The right details are being hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ok I totally missed that!!

Yeah my wife did too, it was very brief as the power flickered out.

Not confirmed yet but apparently this has been renewed for a season 2. Woot.

Ms

Hope so. That would be great. Most episodes have been great so far.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Episodes 4 and 5 were very dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was interesting they mentioned that no pulleys or automation could happen on the stairs, its clear they want to make communication difficult in the silo, the other one about magnification is restricted is intriguing?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

5: Ooooh! The mystery deepens! What's it all about! Surely this is all filler!

Narrator: It was not, in fact, filler 😂😀

I really liked the funeral scene and that scene about the lights in the sky. I think it really helped paint a picture of how many generations have passed inside the Silo.

Oh Doug

You sure f**ked up Doug!

Book spoiler:

Janitors Office!!!!!

🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If they don't reveal what is in the janitors room before the end of the season I will be pissed.

• Advertisement

Episode 4 and sure, after the barnstorming third episode I could see why this gear shift downwards might have seemed too slow - but I thought it was a good "morning after" episode dealing with the aftermath of prior events. The backstory was fine and again served a useful purpose to show, through action and events, the structure of the silo's society. How someone middle class like Juliette ended up working at the bottom of the tower.

That said, the main negative was the not-terrible but not-great de-ageing done on Iain Glen's face ... ... not to mention Glen's rather affected American accent (to these ears anyway).

Not terrible. Yeah I think that was something like my reaction too.

One complaint we had watching it was the accents, in reality there would only be one, and not helped by Nichol's ropy American accent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not neccessarily true. There are 10,000 people living there. Some areas are a long walk from the others. That would easily lead to different accents and different strengths of accents. There are towns in Ireland of similar sizes that would have different accents in them.

they havnt made a plot point of it either, Im sure theyd have drawn attention to it by dropping in a line or 2 about it, because the implication is there would be at least 3 accents based on being low mid or the high levels. I wasnt looking out for while watching it, so would need to look out for the accents in the next couple of episodes

Book spoiler(?):

Daaaaamn! so there are multiple Silos and a outside entity observing them, no idea of motivation.

Post edited by pixelburp on

silverharp it's basic decorum to hide big spoilers for recent episodes; people watch at different speeds. Don't have to spoiler text everything but a bit of discretion is advised.

its a weekly release show, why would someone read the thread if they hadnt watched it? so whats the rule? how many days must pass before we can talk about this episode?

I didn't say don't talk, I said throw the points behind spoiler text so those watching at a different pace can opt out of the segues. It's how nearly all threads here operate, there's no formal date range, just an ask to use common sense.

• Advertisement

6: Yessss!

He has to see this, right now!!

I'm liking how the interpersonal stories are being directed and acted. This episode felt strong for them.

Advertisement