Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silo [Apple TV+]

Options
  • 06-03-2023 3:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

An adaptation of the book series by Hugh Howey that started with "Wool"; pretty decent cast and arrives May 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Really looking forward to it. Howey's books were incredible, and I always imagined what it would look like on screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only read the first book, but while I can't recall specifics I can remember enjoying the novel and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh! Now this has me a bit hyped! Really enjoyed the books. Didn't realise there's another book planned until I just checked the wiki.

This could be done well, though as I remember the books, a lot was going on in peoples thoughts. Guessing a lot will depend on how they adapt them.

Getting Rebecca Ferguson on board is a big early win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I would highly recommend reading the other two. The second book was actually my favourite, I will never forget the experience of reading it. Although it's very bleak, I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this looks really good. i do love a post-apocalypse story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have a bitter taste in my mouth after Apple murdered Foundation (imo as a reader) but the show runner here, Graham Yost, has an excellent CV. Band of Brothers, Pacific and Justified to mention a few so I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if Graham Yost is behind this, then I'm even more enthusiastic; he'll always have my attention for Justified alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Great read, the show hopefully matches up to the books

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A more story focused trailer has turned up. Definitely looks the business...

it looks good , not sure about the acting , there seems to be a thing in these type of shows where everyone looks like they are constipated and are told to be a stilted and earnest as possible in the delivery.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Looks like it has solid budget. Cast look like they are putting in their work.

Going to come down to how the director adapts all the inside-their-head thinking to the screen I'm guessing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

First 2 episodes are out. Watched the first. Very good I thought. Looking forward to the rest.

solid opening , I read the first book years ago, my wife reread them last year and says yep exactly what she hoped it would be.

A really strong opening episode: established the world, its rules and the stakes - all without feeling contrived or using bad clunky exposition. The core mystery was intriguing, though will see how long they can keep that box closed. Good acting too, even if Rashida Jones will only ever be Anne Perkins to me lol. Odd swing to have the show's marketings main face only appear for 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loved the first two episodes! I’m enjoying have to things to watch week by week again!

1: That was good. I thought the star performance came from Rashida Jones as Allison. She really delivered emotionally I think.

The feeling of the introduction of Juliette felt right, without going to check the books.

Also, I liked the way the suit that Allison wore looked.

2: Thought that was done well too. I can't remember the pacing exactly but this feels like it's doing fine.

I just remember so much thinking in their heads in the books. Anyway..

the Mayor starts the journey next I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Haven’t read or heard about the books, but must admit am gripped. I think it’s been done very well. I don’t buy the Sherrif’s story though. Given his position, you would have thought he was ideally placed to do a bit more investigating before taking the path that he did. Was that bit explained any better in the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really good so far. I must admit I prefered the first episode over the second one.

I think there is birds and trees outside but there must also be radiation and while it looks OK it is not.

Never heard of or read the books either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think, as I remember it, that it comes to make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If there was enough radiation to kill a person in a few minutes then it would kill a bird too.

I think the suit they wear has to release some sort of poison gas or knockout gas. That's why the only last a few minutes out there. I doubt they are suffocating sure to a lack of oxygen because surely it would take longer than that and suffocation would probably take longer and look more violent whereas they look like they start getting woozy. I think the sheriff copped this and that's why he took off his helmet but they effects of the gas had already kicked in and it was too late.

I don't think we seen the sheriff's wife when the camera showed things from his perspective which is why I think it's a knock out gas and they're all alive. What I can't figure out is if they're alive why the **** don't they just go back and clean the camera to let everyone know that the video is being manipulated and there are people alive outside. My only guess there is that when they get knocked out, someone takes them away and no one is allowed to get near the silo.

I can't wait for all this all to get proven wrong in the very next episode. It's why I love these types of shows. You come with all sorts of theories of what is going on and they sound right but turn out to be nonsense only an episode or two later 😂

Im saying this having forgotten the details of the first book I read years ago, was watching with son and wife (she is under orders no spoilers) , junior thought what he was seeing was VR, It did look sort of unnatural but maybe it was how they filmed it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I was thinking that about a gas in the suits too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Never read the books. I'm really enjoying it, the production values are very high with great attention to detail. The part where they're in the area with the old boring machine looked incredible. Apple really knocking it out of the park with their tv shows at the moment, well at least compared to netflix anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that a spoiler for those that haven't read the book or spoiler for those that haven’t watched yet?

You know. It's probably not. It's very vague but I debated with myself and got stuck. It could be.. like in the vaguest of ways. Saying that though, it's just me blurting out something that was mentioned in this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah I’ve generally had more joy with Apple shows than Netflix shows over the last few years. They seem to like to adapt novels and aren’t just looking to buildup hours of content for the sake of it.

Im enjoying this, I had thought the same about the gas in the suits.

The one thing I don’t think they have done (yet) is flesh out the supporting cast, at the moment those characters have only really been there to deliver plot exposition. I’m sure that’ll change though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Watched the first two episodes of this last night and really enjoyed it. So much so I bought the books so I can tear through them. Apple really do seem to knock it out of the park with some of their shows, maybe more focused on quality than quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

what days is this being released, and is there on this week on the back of 2 eps dropping last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

I think Fridays from the schedule site I use. From memory apple likes to release shows on that day

Advertisement