Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silo [Apple TV+]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah he did stand out a bit and dyfbtnquite fit in tge works. I’d maybe put that down to his acting too. Mind you for a guy who isn’t the greatest he’s getting a lot of big shows. I previously saw him on Hell On Wheels with Colm Meaney and Andon Mount. He’s been in other stuff but I didn’t really take him in on those. Guess he has a great agent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My thoughts on the video and the cleaning is that it doesn't make sense based on what we've seen in the show. However, we have had 3 cleanings in a few years so the lens didn't have much time to get dirty and the outside world was still pretty visible. I imagine cleanings are a lot rarer normally so if decades went by the lens could be so dirty it's hard to make out what is going on outside. Then someone goes out she sees the world is back to normal and cleans to let everyone know. It still doesn't make sense why the sheriff and Allison did it as they knew what they were saying wasn't what silo was seeing do cleaning wouldn't have made any difference.

I hope they give us a good answer for this. I don't expect they will because I just can't see how there could be one but the show is brilliant so maybe they will. It will probably be something like the people in the silo have been selected and bred to be more compliant so that's why they do it. The sheriff and Allison weren't all that compliant near the end. They didn't want Allison having kids either so she was the docile compliant type so doesn't make sense for her to clean at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

My personal take on the hologram is that it’s to put those going outside in the mind to clean. I also think they’re destined to die and I felt like it was some kind of kindness to let those outside see the withdrawal as it was. Obviously Jules is a massive outlier in this respect. I don’t think you’re supposed to live long enough to find out it’s all an illusion. Given what’s beyond the silo it think it might be a way to slow down anyone getting outside. Whatever is going on rages about 1-2 minutes to kick in. I’d reckon it’s probably more dangerous to the silo to see someone going over the other shed of tge hill. Even if they due then it’s not seen. Holding someone up 30-40 seconds and even convincing them to clean kind of negates all that threat and rams home the point to those inside that they don’t want to go out.

I can’t wait for Season 2. Andy Dufreyne really fûcked up. Jules didn’t want to go outside and she might have been a danger to the silo when she was inside but she could be managed. Now she’s outside it’s the beginning of the end fur the silo(s) I feel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I think that's it. Very very limited range but has a presence and physical charisma that sold it more than the actual acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So, that was the first season. Absolutely solid. Great performance from Rebecca Ferguson

The books had originally been released as nine smaller works and they had been put together into the three books of the Silo series.

From what I can tell, this has been roughly the first three smaller works and they are all from the first book.

10: Oh that was well done! A good point for it too. A lot of answers.

but a lot of questions

Book Spoiler:

Ah I was racking my brains trying to remember why she didn't die. The good tape, now I remember.

Rebellion in the air sorted after seeing her walk away.

No mention of silo one yet. Plenty for the viewers to think about with all the other silos in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

In fairness how is anyone going to answer that without book knowledge?

But not really giving anything away by answering:

No

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They probably aren't looking for an actual answer but looking for other people's thoughts and speculation on it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Guess here, haven’t read books but it’s based on last episode s spoiler for anybody who hasn’t watched it.

Thinking about it now, is the hologram , as others have said, to encourage people to clean the Lenses and to distract them enough that they die in full view but just as importantly , so they don’t get to the other silos?

Basically they don’t have enough time to really see anything real or do any damage.

I enjoyed that first season. As others have said, along with severance (and a few more obscure ones, like even foundation that I enjoyed for all its flaws) apple really do make quality shows in comparison to the hit and usually miss stuff on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And there was me thinking it was similar to Westworld

• Advertisement

The intro's to many series are a lot more interesting these days - they often have easter eggs in them that are only obvious after the reveals, where their meanings are thereafter obvious - like they've been hiding in plain sight, waiting to be decoded.

I've watched the first 6 episodes. The Silo intro graphics looks to me to have an easter egg that might unlock what is going on:

The central stairway is shaped like the double helix of DNA. The silo might be a huge long-term experiment in DNA research in terms of a social and genetic experiment, socially along the lines of class division.

The ban on mechanical lifts and super-magnification seems to facilitate maintaining this. I never read the books, but "The series started in 2011 with the short story Wool"; a metaphor for pulling wool over our eyes, I assume.

Re: the class division aspect, in an encapsulated society, and with a core generator sustaining everything, reminds me of Snowpiercer (and High-Rise, without the generator).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It was okay, boring at times. Could of been condensed into 8 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I thought this was great , cast like many apple shows was really top notch , and allowed some really big misdirection on who would survive .Big reveal at the end and really gives so many directions this could go in Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭nachouser

Very boring answer, but wool refers to the wool cloth used to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Binged watched this over a couple of days....absolutely brilliant TV. Thought Rebecca Ferguson and Tim Robbins were excellent and as another poster mentioned already, is was good to see him going "Warden Norton" when grilling the subordinate from IT. Looking forward to season 2 and I'm off now to read the first book 😊

Post edited by Beric Dondarrion on

Books are pretty good, I would recommend them. There are 6 or 7 of them (already forgot exact number, got the omnibus edition). The first storyline which we're watching on TV right now is 3 or 4 books in total. Then it continues with 2 or 3 prequel books explaining the history of it all which I personally found uninteresting and in the end I just skipped them. Then it gets wrapped in a final book going back to the 'present' Jules storyline. You get the lot in an 'omnibus edition' for small money on Amazon/Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sims needs to be killed or recast.

Common is so bad he kills every scene he is in and takes me out of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Found Iain Glenn the worst actor, comes across very hammy in every scene

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think is performance are fine, but find his American accent really clumsy; always sounds like how I would do an American accent & it stands out twice as bad among the actual American actors of the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can somebody explain the books to me? Not the contents but which books cover the different parts of the story. On amazon I can see Wool, Shift and Dust. Do they cover season 1 only or do they cover what is coming in season 2?

• Advertisement

Wool is more or less S01. I don't think anything from Shift or Dust has really been hinted at yet in S01.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Not sure I'd agree with that, just finished Wool a few days ago and I'd say season 1 is 70% of the book. I wouldn't be surprised if season 2 is the remaining 30% of Wool, they could easily stretch it out and fit it in. Currently reading book 2 now, Shift. Must say I'm really enjoying it, maybe more so than Wool

I agree. To be fair to the man it's no because he sucks, quite the opposite, he has some serious presence. It's just that it's too much presence for the role.

Yeah, you're dead right. Just refreshed my memory over on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It’s the dialogue, I liked it overall but much of the inter personal dialogue was quite lame and Glenn got the real hammy lines

Finally caught Episode 9 and woosh this is all coming to a head. Even dropping in one more mystery this close to the end. My only other takeaway is that Rebecca Ferguson has really showboated through the season with some intense "inside I'm falling to pieces" silent acting. So in this case, her face trembling and wounded as she watched the video on the screen. Was nice to have her get some retrospective validation for the relationship - and it was doubly sold through Ferguson's almost childlike reactions and expression.

For all the talk about Common's acting - or perhaps the lack thereof? - Ferguson has very much been the opposite and shouldered the season's emotional drama with aplomb.

Really great show. Loved the reveal right at the end. I also loved the way the big names just dropped off like flies as the episodes progressed.

Very clever stuff, well put together, with a great balance between the increasing drama and deepening central mystery. Ferguson a powerhouse, yet nuanced.

I've not read the books, but looks like lots of potential to get mysteriouser and mysteriouser, with always the background feeling of grand manipulation behind the mysteries.

And done: can't say the final shot entirely surprised, but maybe that's cos I've played enough of the Fallout games to know

There was never only one silo. I laughed at how the reason the real, grassy world looked so fake and CGI is... because it was. Lol

This was a really good season of TV, constantly gripping and unwound with a really natural pace of tension - never melodramatic, never going big for the sake of it. I liked how well the world building was applied, often quite organically without exposition. This felt like a real world that had ticked over for 140 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He does intimidation well!

Speaking of acting I thought Tim Robbins was brill in this.

Just to add to this, the previous cleaners never seen video playback as evidenced by the fact they didn't know what the relic camcorder was for, so there was no way for the previous cleaners to suspect what they were seeing in their helmet was video at all no mind fake video as they'd never even seen video in the first place. They were doomed like a spider caught in a web. However us the viewers could see there was something unrealistic about it, too idyllic looking for a start.

Advertisement