Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

A decade? Seriously hope your self flagellating whip cracks long before then! Really enjoyed your posts over the last few days - here's hoping you get a west coast staller in an upcoming winter like the Achill folk got recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well since everyone else has snow pictures ...here's mine.

There is a retaining wall beside me at about 65 cm above the ground, and a flat lawn surface behind that. So the higher of the two roughly equal appearing snow banks is the winter snow pack here, also about 65 cm, after a total winter snowfall of about 180-200 cm (it started in late October and we have only had setting and compaction, very little melt). You can see about five layers in that pack edge, from about five intervals of heavier snow at roughly three week intervals. That is about the maximum for this season so far in terms of snow pack and it's probably about normal for this location which is Rossland, BC at an elevation of 1050 m asl, and about 600 m above the Columbia River near the U.S. border with peaks of about 2000 m to our west and northwest (the Monashee Range). This town is a ski resort not surprisingly. More surprisingly, I don't ski. I'm just here for the apres-ski.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Great to put a face to the name, but you're showing off now with all that snow M.T. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm more than ready to ship it to Ireland if you want it, had enough winter already. This will be half gone by early April and all gone some time before May, but remnants of the larger snow piles around town can stick around until the first of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Still coming down in Clare. Before going to bed, one of the kids said they were sick of the snow. Blasphemy.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Clare (410ft asl)

An inch of new snow has already fallen. Roads lethal on higher ground heading west to Miltown Malbay.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Clare (410ft asl)

🤣 @Leg End Reject

The arpege indicated snow was likely here but was somewhat on its own. Very heavy snow where I am (inside that pink area in mid Clare). Crazy really. Reports of snow in Ennis now too.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well, I'm not jealous. At all. No sireee! 😥😢😭😤

🤬

Clare (410ft asl)

Light snow now at the tail end of the system. No transition to rain at all since 8pm. Expecting a rather rapid warm up shortly after daybreak, perhaps hitting 10c by 11am. Currently 0.2c and dew point at 0.1c.

My nearest local station

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Round 2 in North-east Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

How do I do that? Who is mod and will they give me permision to start a specific thread of "cold pool/basin hunting"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A cold wild wind buffeting out here. No intention of setting foot outside ....Gray and .... inhospitable...

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A slight covering on the grass at 6 am, which is all gone now. Light rain at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I did not know M. T. Cranium was so competitive. He clearly wins anyway. I suppose if we were guaranteed six foot of snow or so every year these threads may not exist with their excitement and roller coaster of emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yep. Rarity and uncertainty pique fascination.. My ten years on an outer North Orkney island however changed my perspective. Especially re attitudes as we know it would happen every winter. Routine! Except eg when the gritting lorry had to be dragged out of the snow by a tractor...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Unless the rules have changed anyone with (I think) 50 or more posts can start a thread/ discussion. Just go back to the main weather forum landing page where all the weather threads / discussions are listed and you should see a big blue button (on my phone anyway) called " new discussion". Click that, fill in the details and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

On mobile it says new discussion if you scroll to the bottom, very easy to do.

Back to normal here with persistent rain after some sleet in the early hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very raw week up at Knock and even now its still 0 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's my shots from yesterday at the Hellfire Club as promised, that'll be the last load from me for this spell. Best mountains snow event I have seen since January/February 2019. Can't do anything about turning the first portrait shot showing the depth of the snow, Boards automatically turns it on its side. What made it even more enjoyable was how level the snow was without much if any drifting. There's some satisfaction I cannot describe out of seeing levelled deep snow - something I hadn't seen since 2010.

I'd like to thank Rebelbrowser for starting this thread and don't undersell yourself, we're all amateur enthusiasts in this together. Thank you everyone for all your reports and photos as always as they are very valuable in documenting any weather event for archive purposes. The photos especially this winter have been brilliant! Kudos goes out to others like WolfeEire for keeping the thread updated too in spite of all the modelling headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Stunning @sryanbruen !

Moderate sleet in Trim. Not much snow left in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would never associate West Clare with snow but you've had an epic snowfall WolfeEire. Thanks for all the great photos.

Get yourself down to the Old Bakehouse for a fish pie, you deserve it! 🙂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Wet snow in the mix in Trim now. Will turn back to rain soon but did not expect to see big fat snowflakes land again, especially not here in the lowlands of the East..... Trim, Meath at about 50m ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Heavy wet snow in Tara, Meath. If it was just one degree colder, the snow still left on the ground would be getting a huge top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

4c and a bit of sleet in the rain, a nice top up for the higher parts of Wicklow.

I don’t think tomorrow’s thawing will melt all of it so it will last until the next cold spell early next week. Isn’t there an old weather lore that says when snow remains on the hills there’s more to come?

Has transitioned to full on wet snow, big flakes too.

Moderate snow in Trim, Meath now. Large flakes and heavy enough that it's accumulating a bit in the grass. Top of the Hill of Tara is probably getting a covering now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Snowing here at Dunshaughlin, very wet snow tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement