Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭US3

Not giving out about Met warnings here but is there really a need for the National Emergency Coordination Team to meet up for this bit of weather? Mind Boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

A bit of tree surgery required in the garden from branches snapping with the weight of snow. Neighbours had the same problem. Guessing it's because the higher water content of the snow in mid spring put extra weight on the branches.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm glad firhouse had snow last night ,even if it meant staying up till 4am lol I'd say 3 to 4cm fell in the space of 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good stuff. That's the dedication I like to see. It's a good job you did not listen to me. Haha. Did your place in Leitrim get any snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A bit of tree surgery required in the garden from branches snapping with the weight of snow.

That's just showing off and rubbing salt in the wounds! 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Some scattered outbreaks of sleet and snow pushing in from the southwest tonight. Dew points and 850s looking good up to daybreak away from south Kerry and west/south Cork.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

NASA Modis view of Ireland and Britain today with snow cover visible away from the cloud cover. Unusual for the Scottish Highlands to be so devoid of snow cover with much Wales and England under snow

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Woke up to a very slight dusting of snow here to the east of Castlebar this morning from an overnight shower.

We did have the best part of 12 hours of snowfall yesterday that started around 7am but it failed to stick in this location. The precipitation rates were light to occasionally moderate for most of this period. The snow was quite wet also. I did however experience heavier snowfall and a more general covering of snow further east from the Mayo/Roscommon border near Carracastle to Charlestown in Mayo yesterday afternoon around 4pm. There was still plenty of lying snow on some of the slightly higher ground to the west of Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon today.

Many of the Mayo hills and mountains did get a nice coating of snow however and they looked beautiful earlier on today in the March sunlight and cool crisp air.

Croagh Patrick, Co Mayo dressed in white this morning.

The first rays of the rising sun illuminates a snowy Nephin Mountain this morning.

The snowy slopes of the Partry Mountains, the Sheeffry Hills and Croagh Patrick way off in the distance earlier today.

Some lovely blue skies here in County Mayo this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭skinnyfries

Looking towards the Cooley mountains, Louth this morning from Blackrock beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The Burren taken from Galway on the phone not the best pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow pics Sligo. Note the gap in Map above. Snowproof Sligo town

So went to those hills in the distance

Snowy Road goes on forever

View atop the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Managed to retain some compacted snow on the grass here in Dublin 5, I was expecting it to be all gone by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Luggala, Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Best day (by far) since the December cold spell. Dublin Mountains absolutely buried in snow when I went up this morning, fairytale scenes all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Couldn't resist heading the Hellfire Club after the scenes this morning. Some pics to come. For now, here's the Mourne Mountains looking beautiful with their snow blanket from Montpelier Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Direct as the crow flies it's over 100km to those mountains!

Some shot!

Is that further mountains behind the Mournes? Or cloud tops?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Here in Waterford we had a red warning for broken hearts and disappointment 💔 and it was indeed warranted , my kids along with many others were indeed broken hearted to wake up this morning to no snow again and the harsh realisation that school was not closed and there was no snow day for them 🤣 we didn’t even have any frost this week ! I have really enjoyed looking at everyone’s beautiful pictures here over the last few days so thanks to everyone for the beautiful pictures 👏🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Cruagh Wood in Dublin mountains today, 30 cm at 350m but 60cm at 450m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Went out to the Connemara hills and mountains today to have a look at the conditions.

Amazing out there, snow right down to sea level around lennane and the mountains plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is it just me or is it hard to believe these photos are taken in March. 30 to 60 cms is incredible! . I wonder how much lay at the Summit of Croagh Patrick and Nephin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Fair play. Was considering going there to briefly check it out again following a stroll there yesterday but a friend advised not to with the roads very bad. Epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Packrat

Possibly a good separate thread to start. This one appears to be very topic specific.

I understand nothing about weather beyond the average layman, but there are some very knowledgeable posters in this forum who I'm sure would contribute to a thread on te topic you mention.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It tends to blow off CP fairly easily but I bet Nephin or Maumtrasna had a nice dump of snow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Absolutely, when driving on the quieter roads I'm guilty of staring out the windows surveying the landscape and saying to myself, around here would be a fairly cold one in such a weather setup, and if it's a summer drive - looking out for what would be a surmised hot spot!

The M7's Exit 26 is one such place on the Irish motorway network - heading from Dublin westbound, there is a long drop into a valley with mountains to the southwest and west. Would love to see a weather station at the bottom of that descent.

Another place that I'd love to see recordings from is around Knockanarrigan in west Wicklow - a valley almost enclosed by hills from nearly all angles - pretty sure it would store very cold air on a still winter's night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Good advice, the roads were ok but the snow tourism traffic was a complete shitshow. I tried to get to Cruagh from Killakee road, and all was ok until just before viewpoint which was completely blocked with cars stuck/parked/in ditches/sliding sideways etc, you name it. Had to reverse back down for about 10 minutes past a queue of unsuspecting future reversers to find a place to turn. Was considering trying the other route up Edmondstown road but it's a very dodgy road with any snow.

Clare (410ft asl)

Moderate snow and settling in mid Clare, 150asl on top of yesterday's lot. Might get couple of hours out of it before sleet and then rain. Snow Gods smiled down on this part of the country this week. I'm in for a decade of no snow after this.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Great shots all around.

Be safe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement