Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It does seem very early considering the film is still doing well at the box offices, WB must expect it to do well in streaming rentals too, I think it will do very well on VOD

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

I’ve booked this to buy for my daughters on Sky Store & wondering when it’s set for release there?

2 of them have already seen it twice in the Cinema 😃

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They must reckon that it will only taper from here, though it remains strong in the domestic cinemas; very strange. Top Gun Maverick ran and ran, IIRC even took number 1 again after a few weeks ticking over in the top 10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think there's even much coming out in the cinemas over the next while either, certainly nothing that would take away from any draw Barbie still has.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sums it up very succinctly. Very surprised how many people seem to be missing the point of the movie.

Thoroughly enjoyed it anyway, though had no doubt I would with a Gerwig helmed and Robbie exec produced film. Hoping we get to see Robbie’s version of Tank Girl soon too, she got the rights to it a while back - it really felt like Birds of Prey was a trial run for her take on the character.

• Advertisement

Do people besides myself buy dvds anymore, would there be extra footage, longer edition, special edition etc., or just music videos and making of as extras?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not sure about DVDs any more, but certainly with Blurays you do sometimes get special or collector editions with additional material. It depends on the film as to whether there are deleted scenes, b-roll footage etc that might be of interest.

No guarantee that they'll include them on the initial release, though - plenty of studios try to hold material back and include it in a Collector's Edition to get people to double-dip...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remarkable, although unsurprising given the weeks of sold out screenings: Barbie is now officially the highest grossing film in Irish box office history. It dethrones Avatar after nearly 15 years. It has made a staggering €8.8 million in Ireland alone (in contrast, An Cailín Ciúin passing €1 mill in Ireland and UK combined was seen as extraordinary). Oppenheimer has made €5.5 mill.

That's a phenomenonal amount of money given the size of the population here. I assume that's Rep of Ireland, or does it include N.I? Either way, that's an awful lot of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think this is meaningless cos of inflation.

Wouldn't number of tickets sold be more accurate?

It's definitely one of the biggest months for Irish cinema though. Both films are still selling well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well given it has taken 15 years and multiple hugely successful blockbusters for any film to take the title from Avatar, I think it’s fair to say it’s a pretty extraordinarily successful film, inflation or not. Given it’s still topping the charts, it should easily be top of the pack even adjusted for inflation by the end of its cinema run.

I have no reason to doubt it has earned the ‘biggest film in Irish box office history’ title, mind you, given just how busy cinemas were for Barbie during those crucial first two weekends. It was pretty unprecedented in my experience. And the cinemas’ own stats back that up:

https://x.com/lighthoused7/status/1692469010325979262?s=46&t=nwvJe3fJtU0siJ7wj5mjTA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It has been a phenomenal success story.

And something else noted by someone else on this site and it's true: this has been a tremendously positive story. There have been attempts to spin outrage narratives and of course the usual types have been out in force trying to cry foul of it being "anti men" ... but it's interesting how this hasn't took. The culture around this has remained engaging, excited and positive.

It's a nice change of pace within film discourse.

People are going to see it more than once, some 3 and 4 times, it is a phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Was at Oppenheimer tonight and there were still people in their pink heading to see Barbie. Got chatting to a woman in the bathroom and it was her third time seeing it.

With Dune being pushed to next year I'd say that pretty much guarantees Barbie stays the biggest film of the year.

Greta Gerwig's box-office hit movie Barbie is set for an IMAX release for a limited one-week engagement beginning Sept. 22. Even better? Audiences will also be treated to never-before-seen post-credits footage during the supersized screenings. (The current theatrical version does not have a post-credits scene.)

https://ew.com/movies/barbie-imax-release-theaters-new-post-credits-footage/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's out on VOD.

Got to say I loved it, It really was so much fun with a great message told well.

I'm still quite astonished WB decided to release this on VOD, this early. Given it probably could have earned a few more hundred million over the next few months; a nice long tail to keep the coffers ticking over. Clearly someone, somewhere in WB accounting think otherwise

It passed the Mario film the other day at the global box office to be the biggest film of the year. It probably could have extended that gap massively. I suppose it's still in cinemas though, and it's probably not cheap to rent at home, so maybe people will still keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Watched this tonight and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a very well executed pinocchio story. I reckon that Ryan Gosling is in contention for another best song Oscar(OK the writers, not Ryan) and maybe even best supporting actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Should be called little bo peep. Because these people are clearly sheep. Can't believe grown adults going to cinema multiple times to see same movie. Need a bit of variety in their lives for sure

Can't believe grown adults can't just let people enjoy things how they wish.

Imagine liking a thing so much you'd wanna experience it multiple times. Madness. Imagine reading a novel more than once. Sure you should only need one listen of an album - anything more and that's just sad.

🙂

Post edited by pixelburp on

I had to look through your post history there to check if you were my sister in law. She has a miserable opinion of fun too.

It does also seem to have become a communal cinema experience, so that may also keep it ticking over in the cinemas. Meet your friends, go see Barbie.

I checked the weekend just gone and domestically, it was still number 2 at $10 million - so clearly it still has legs, especially now we're entering the doldrums for releases (number 1 was the Equaliser 3 at $34 million; so not exactly beating doors down)

Oh maybe not: unless I'm reading the stats wrong Barbie doesn't feature in Mondays box office at all (domestically) so I guess it has been pulled in favour of digital?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a long weekend in the USA (Labor Day) so figures might be delayed because of that. Barbie's still in the listings in the UK at least.

Still pulled in a solid $10m+ over the weekend in the US (a comfortable second place), so definitely hasn’t been pulled from cinemas: https://deadline.com/2023/09/box-office-equalizer-3-denzel-washington-1235533871/

Oh yeah it is there now, that's weird cos it absolutely wasn't when I checked. As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah bit it wouldn't really work to lampoon the opposite direction. Imagine a world where men are mostly in control of things and barbie discovers that feminism is actually in control in the real world. It wouldn't be the same juxtaposition so it wouldn't work.

I thought it was good in general. I didn't get the Barbie in-jokes but that's fair enough. I thought it basically showed that you can build a society based on one random characteristic like sex or on things like nepotism, or you can build it based on suitability and aptitude and preference. One will lead to greater happiness and a better job than the other. Things are changing. The bit at the end where the President agrees to have a man on a lower court instead of the supreme court was funny.

I thought Will Farrell and the board were too hammed up to be either funny or poignant. It reminded me of the Yes Minister scene which did the same thing, but did it much better in my opinion. That was 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gosling and Robbie were great, but as a whole I thought the film was a load of crap and a real slog. Can't understand the good reviews it's getting.

Advertisement