Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On the Simu Liu thing, there is really very little there - especially not enough to be vilified for it to the extent you seem to have done.

Nearly all of the questionable posts are taken out of context for the purpose of making him look bad and causing controversy - coincidentally just when Marvel casted their first Asian hero. There are one or two that are just bad but I'd argue few actors and people in general don't say or think 'bad' things at different points in their life - we just don't have the receipts.

Gosling thing on the red carpet seemed like an inside joke to me, in line with Gosling sticking 'in character' like the other things he's been saying and doing. If he had such an issue with him Gosling could have easily gotten him booted off the project or refused to do the event with him. The number of photos and videos of them looking like they like each other far outnumber that one incident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Extraordinary stat here - one week, and Barbie is apparently already in the top ten highest grossing films of all time in Ireland according to Donald Clarke. Top five by end of the weekend seems like a reasonable possibility.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd well believe it. I live in a rural area, and the two cinemas nearest me have had at least 10 screenings a day, all week, and the majority of them have been sold out, or very nearly. Never seen anything like it. There's a rain warning for the weekend too, so I'd guess it'll continue in the same way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wish Irish box office stats were part of boxofficemojo; I know it's a tiny market but I don't think there's otherwise an easy way to track BO success here?

One thing's certain: Gerwig has just earned her first proper Blank Cheque; whatever her "one for me" projects she might have, this film just greenlit most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I thought the last half an HR really dragged on. Decent effort , definitely got a few laughs from me. Would give it a 6, not sure how people would give it more , maybe if they were mad into Barbie with the nostalgia angle. Should say I'm not the target market so 6 is pretty impressive.

I was thinking the same but about Margot Robbie's production company. I wonder if Disney are rethinking letting her do her female led Pirates of the Caribbean film now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Screen Ireland used to publish weekly figures, but stopped doing so a few years ago.

Now Ireland’s lumped in with the UK in the weekly reports published by the BFI (which are worth looking at incidentally - can be quite interesting).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the only think that annoyed me about the Barbie film was that it made me 15 minutes late for Oppenheimer, looking at you Point cinema, dont schedule the start of 2 popular movies so close together

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

When barbie has her melt down because she doesn't feel like she's enough (not president, can't fly a plane etc.) I thought that was the universal part designed to appeal to everyone, a struggle that all women and men identify with in today's world, crippling expectation with no means of delivering on those expectations. Ken also struggles with this, he doesn't have an MBA or swimming lessons, he just does beach lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

As a guy, I went into it and loved it. There's some jokes that are so specific to children raised with barbie that were lost on me. But overall, it was a smart and very funny summer blockbuster. Also rather refreshing to have a summer blockbuster that isn't simply focused on explosions.

I'll also confess that I'm delighted that a film with this kind of message has succeeded. Eg we're so used to hearing people say that including feminist politics in a movie will put audiences off or guarantee its failure.(eg Disney gone woke nonsense)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm female,but was not a girly girl, never owned any kind of doll, had zero interest in pink etc etc

I loved this film, it's way more then Barbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I don't know if it has that much layers tbh. Some of the jokes were that Ferrell type of random humour that I just don't find funny. I'd say a packed cinema would have improved it laugh wise though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hadn't heard of that, though in fairness we've had enough attempts to keep that franchise going that maybe Pirates has had its day, Robbie dodging a bomb. Though IIRC Gerwig is also doing a redo at the Narnia books so maybe her "one for me" has a way to go.

Blergh, that's a shame I wonder why Screen Ireland stopped. Getting lumped in with the UK bristles that belligerent part of my Irishness lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

And yet she's wasting it on Netflix's Narnia adaptations.

Yeah, it's probably not one we ever needed to happen, but given Disney still plan to make more, possibly with Depp, makes you wonder who is making the decisions there.

Lucky Chap actually have a really good history of films and TV, they did Maid which is arguably one of the best series Netflix have done. They're doing a new Tank Girl film too, as well as Emereld Fennel's next film Saltburn, and an adaptation of My Year of Rest and Relaxation.

So yeah, Pirates not at all necessary.

Yeah but it's Netflix: the dump truck of money they offered was probably too big to refuse - plus I'm guessing she signed on before Barbie even smelled like a hit; either way, Barbie has to have bought her some open doors and wriggle room to make the smaller passion projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Went to it today with my family and loved it! Great film

• Registered Users Posts: 85,322 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Margot Robbie and Emma Mackey look alike

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Caught this today and had a lot of fun with it, plus delighted to see that the cinema where I saw it was literally the busiest I have ever seen it (queues out the door and everything).

The pace does start to drag a bit towards the end, but there's a steady clip of jokes and aside from the Mattel office chase it was generally quite good.

I don't really do clapping at the cinema (for me, applause is for when the performers are present and can hear it) but after that speech/rant there was a round of applause in my screening and I'd say that's not uncommon. Honestly given how central that bit is to the theme of the film I'm a bit baffled at how some posters earlier in the thread have managed to misinterpret it.

Also, best closing gag I can remember since Teen Titans Go! To The Movies 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Just back from the cinema and I found it a tough slog tbh. I put all the hype and everything else aside and judged the film on its own merits, and I thought it was just a poor film. It felt like they were making it up as they went along, like a lot of it was improvised. Now maybe I'm wrong about that and everyone stuck to the script but for me it felt like improv night at the ha'penny inn and a lot of the scenes fell flat. I think Margot Robbie is great, she was off the scale in Babylon and she does well here too. Ryan gosling steals the film and his power ballad number at the end saves the film from being a complete write off. A female friend went aswell and afterwards she made an interesting comment.....she thought the film overall was a bit meh but she said that if a bloke was to make the opposite film, one that lampoon's feminism, there would be absolute war. There would be people getting cancelled, their would be studios being boycotted until heads roll, there would be crying, there would be outrage. And I suspect she's 100% spot on.

Post edited by santana75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I always thought that. Especially when EM was in the first season of Sex Education. Very similar facially.

The opposite of Barbie is not a film lampooning feminism. The Kens want a patriarchy, that's not the same as feminism.

Teen Titans Go To The Movies is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. It's actually kinda comparable with Barbie as it's very meta and pokes fun at itself as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It did drag a bit. I'd say they could have cut ninety minutes and still maintained the overall fun and message, just with a faster pace.

Still, a good movie, with lots of great visual gags that will stand the test of time. Definitely not for kids, and probably not for most teens.

I see Mattel are trying to launch a whole cinematic universe now. Lena Dunham is directing a Polly Pocket film apparently. Shows a complete lack of awareness of what's actually happened with Barbie, I think.

Never underestimate Hollywood's ability to learn the wrong lessons from a surprise hit.

People like Barbie? Quick, we need an Uno movie!!

You joke but there's a list of 14 projects in development and I think Uno was one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I was somewhat surprised that my 12 year old niece loved it but I think she has my cynical sense of humour. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,322 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Personally I think it should be left alone as a once off, no need for sequels or spin offs or co universe films

I think when a Barbie movie was first announced everyone was probably like seriously WTF but Margot and Greta have delivered an iconic fun heartfelt film that will become a cult classic, surpassing everyone's expectations

I was maybe expected an Elle Woods, Regina George and Cher cameos 😄

Advertisement