Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The whole Barbenheimer thing was completely organic, it seems. The idea of counter programming isn't new, so them having the same release day was a fairly standard studio decision. Everything that stemmed from that, from simple memes to crazy box office success for both, was something that is unlikely to be repeated, or created deliberately by a marketing department.

I've read since that Mattel already had this Polly Pocket thing in development, along with like 12 other toy based films. So it's not just coming off the back of Barbie's success as I thought. However I still think they're probably overestimating the interest anyone has in a slew of films based around toys. Polly Pocket certainly doesn't have the same brand status as Barbie, and Lena Dunham isn't exactly the most popular person in the world either. I can imagine the meeting just having darts thrown at a board of toys, and a board of women directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I can see how spin offs from Barbie would be a commercial success, like Barbie 2 in the real world or Allen or weird barbie. Not sure if Polly Pocket has the same sort of pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Crazy box office success is incredibly hard to repeat, which is why it is so impressive when the very few actually do it. If it was as easy as many claim it to be then every movie would be a box office smash.

Mattel wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't looking at ways to monetize their IP, it is hardly a new idea to turn toys that have been cartoons into live action.

It is good old fashioned clickbait news. Them wanting to create a universe and significantly investing in actually doing it are completely different things. It would be incredibly naive for anyone to think that Mattel where going to shut down their film department/division after Barbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't know there was a trans actor in it or a trans barbie character 🙈 as you said it was refreshing no attention drawn, well I didn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Saw this film last weekend as part of a Barbenheimer double feature. I did Barbie first. I loved going in and seeing so many people dressed up for the occasion. There's something about sharing a cinematic moment with other people - complete strangers - that's really fun. I haven't seen the theater like that since before COVID, so it felt special. And I had my pink top on too. It helped create a feeling of comraderie.

Anyway, the movie was fun. I loved the sets and costuming - I hope that gets some regonition at the awards shows next year. There were good laughs. Ryan Gosling was hilarious but Margot Robbie also did a damn good job. I really like the role reversal aspect of the movie that's been somewhat hotly debated, even on this thread! I thought it was clever, and it's been interesting to see who that's worked for and who really disliked it.

The speech and the way they ended up saving the Barbies from the Ken-patriarchy was the only thing that threw me off a bit. The speech was great but it was a bit on the nose for me, and then I couldn't help thinking that the rescue mission was a little convoluted. It just took me out of the world for a bit while I wondered about the dynamics of how that might actually work.

But overall, a really fun movie and definitely worth seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw it last night with the misses and it was a full house pretty much. Pre-covid levels as mentioned above but it was 95% women in the audience haha.

Was pretty decent. Fair play to Greta, her co writer and Mattel I guess. Everyone involved could have just put together another run of the mill movie where Barbie comes to life or something and has to find her love Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hope it gets some awards

I did laugh everytime Ken said patriarchy but I was laughing lots at Ken most times

I won't do a deep dive freudian meaning analysis of the film 😄

It was an enjoyable comedy which exceeded my expectations given the subject matter

I can definitely see Greta, Margot, Ryan and America and the film getting Golden Globe nominations even possible wins

I'd say Greta is a shoe in for best director Oscar nomination also

Also song, screenplay, set design and costume design, cinematography etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Saw it last night with missus, she felt it was okay to good, I thought meh to okay.

Some parts were quite good, some funny moments of course but was definitely ready for it to end when it came. The last bit with the creator and Barbie in particular dragged on a bit for me but I think I was just kinda done at that stage.

Audience was 90% female, mixture of young girls and women 40s - 60s who seemed to enjoy it.

The overall aesthetic was good, set pieces and that. Probably would have been one of those I should have waited to watch at home in all honesty.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

According to early predictions I wouldn't bet on Greta getting into director. She might get into adapted screenplay, and if they go 10 nominations in Picture the film might get in. Gosling might get into one of the acting categories, Supporting more likely than Lead. I'd think most of the crafts will be recognised.

Who would have thought we would be discussing Oscar contention for a Barbie film 😁

Well Gerwig, Baumbach, Robbie, and Gosling all have multiple nominations each, so combining their powers should see some reward. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I felt the same. Don't get all the hype.

It seems like all the box office success is due to good marketing.

It wasn't as funny as expected and the message about feminism and equality, although obviously important, I've heard it all before.

I don't think I even fully understood the plot.

Doesn't the condition "by a woman" go against the feminist message of Barbie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Officially over the billion mark this weekend; Mattel must be delighted, it has surely exceeded expectations and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I don't really remember a recent comedy blockbuster tackling feminism, the role of women in society and a commentary on the patriarchy, maybe I missed it? The only one I can think of that has (kind of) a similar vibe is Legally Blonde (from 2001!!!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Legally Blonde 2 in 2003 maybe? 😁

Apparently there's a Legally Blonde 3 due out in 2024.

I mean in the media, I've been hearing about feminism, equality, patriarchy etc for years.

I'm not saying it's not important, but I don't think the film said anything new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Legally blonde? Tackle feminism? I’m going to puke!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Margot Robbie cleaning up money wise as also producer

Greta Gerwig initially wanted Gal Gadot for the role thankfully that did not happen

$1.2 billion at the box office in three weeks.

Already 25th highest grossing movie of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The tail on this could be huge; I'd expect it to continue to walk up the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I think Margot was leading the direction with wanting her since she was producer.

Gal would have been brutal in it, she's an awful actress.

Barbie passes The Dark Knight to become highest-grossing Warner Bros. domestic release ever

Source The Wrap

Robbie said in an interview that when she brought Gerwig on as writer/director she told her they didn't have to cast her(MR) as Barbie, she just really wanted to make the film and she'd go along with whatever Gerwig thought. And Gerwig apparently said of course you're going to play her.

I haven't checked Barbie box office in individual countries, but wouldn't casting Gadot have got it banned in a large portion of the Middle East?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apparently WB are releasing this on VOD in early September.

I appreciate windows are generally shorter now and I also value the extra accessibility digital releasing affords to people who mightn't be able to make it to a cinema. Still seems a little... rash to me for Warners to interrupt what has been by all accounts a rare barnstormer theatrical release - and very much an ongoing one! - by putting a high-quality digital version out there on the internet so rapidly.

Advertisement